• 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 1 Post By Fordman

Thread: A Froggy car dilemma !

1000+ Posts

Default A Froggy car dilemma !

Hi, O wise ones
    I have a dilemma regarding a young friend of mine. I am teaching her to drive and then helping her to get a cheap car. She is from overseas ex student and is looking for a good job in her studied field so makes do with a sh*t low paid part time job (by government stats is fully employed I guess, but I digress !).

Looking for a small automatic totally reliable ???? In the low price market for a small car there are lots of old high milage cars of popular brands. There are even more, less popular but well know brands that I would not touch if I was buying for myself. Then there are French cars. I have not considered them much as I would not like to inflict a lemon on her, nor do I intend to maintain it after the initial purchase and service possibly. But finding a mechanic up here in Newcastle to recommend to service a French beauty is not easy. The young lady knows NIX about cars and has no other family here. But is not a teenager either.

Advertisement

The question is should I even consider a lower milage well presented French car. An example I saw yesterday being a 2005, 206 Pug only 113000Ks looks good on a walk around and smart looking. $3500. Should I just ignore these sort of cars and go for a Toyota or a Mazda with twice or more Kms. Or a Nissan Pulsar with 2" play in the front door hinges. PS she is very short also, so a tall car would help !!
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 24th February 2019 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks Jaahn but there are a few of us.
    A 206 auto will be fine the 1.6 autos seem to be better than the 1.4 I don’t know why maybe they shift more ? If your looking at a Mazda 323 or a 2 these have gearbox problems as well re my time at Regals and are not solved as easily as putting valves in them. Got a link to the car you are proposing?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi, O wise ones
    PS she is very short also, so a tall car would help !!
    Jaahn
    I'm a bit thick here How do these two go together?
    My is to look out for that the expensive maintenance items have been done e.g. timing belt, regular oil, coolant and brakefluid changes etc.
    As in another thread as Schlitz mentioned, dealer parts are expensive no matter what make except the D. we don't have here.
    But you are more than aware of that anyway.

My daughter had a very good run with a 3cyl. Suzuki but it was a manual and not safe in a crash. Fun to drive though
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

If you are teaching her, can you teach on a manual? Too many young people have endorsed licences, and all aging autos are a potential money pit. Not just AL4, but Japanese too.
    dmccurtayne likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    If you are teaching her, can you teach on a manual? Too many young people have endorsed licences, and all aging autos are a potential money pit. Not just AL4, but Japanese too.
    Hi
    No seasink there are reasons for it so auto it must be. I am aware of the general problem of any autos. But it must be so.

David, I would be happy if you would be a go to mechanic. Truley or another suggestion. At this stage I am not actually looking at a particular car, just getting a feel for the current market. The budget is low and the money is still being saved.
    That 206 was on the roadside at Mayfield West at the weekend.

Jo, the relevance of the "short" statement, is that some cars are taller than average and some others are lower than average. I will take that into account but some small Froggies are taller. The rational for Froggies is there seem to be low Km ones much more commonly that popular brands which can have high Ks up to very high Ks.

I can evalute the probability of a particular car to be OK. A bit out of practice now. But my previous experience is to just find the 'right car'. This solves most problems by them not coming, and normal servicing will be sufficient for some years. Genuine lowish Kms are always a starting point. 2" play in both the front door hinges always puts the lie to the speedo Ks.
    Keep talking please, Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 25th February 2019 at 05:02 AM.

Yes had a look at that bit pricey though was it 3500 I’d say 2500

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Given your brief, I would only have one more question. How long does the car need to last?

Assuminng as long as possible, I would say Corolla hands down. Get a 2005 or so model whichever one you can, no matter how many k's.

IF YOU CAN:

High mileage cars with country miles on them, not city miles.
    Serviced locally in the country.

These have a timing chain, so service is not that hard and I would even go to say optional. If the oil is not exactly turned into bitumen, it's a goer.

Use and dispose of at first sign of trouble.

Should pay 2k or less for it.

I would hunt auctions as well. Might land a very good deal that way.
    geckoeng and hypermiler like this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Avoid those bread van Nissan Pulsars their bodies are really terribly flimsy and tinny. I have no particular brand loyalties or dislikes either - I've just observed two of my children's friend's cars and cringed with the thought of them getting around in the Pulsar. They really feel like they'd put the 'crumple' in crumple zone.
    Last edited by Stuey; 25th February 2019 at 12:47 AM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

We got my sons girlfriend a $500 with rego but no rwc 2002 Clio in auto. To fix it up for rwc and cost of car put her at a total of $940.
    Its not perfect but for under a grand and six months later it’s still a goer.
    To save you the hassle fixing a cheap one you can find them for $2000 to $2500 with reg and rwc.
    jaahn likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

If he buys in NSW the seller needs to provide proof of ownership, which in most cases is the current certificate of registration. This will mean that a current (less than a year ago) roadworthy has been done. Unregistered cars bring on some more often expensive bother.

That's a definite. If it has to be French a clip is the go. But real world, a starlet, gets or ignis. How do you spell the sound of a dry reech? Urqqqqggh

Not a clip. Sorry. A CLIO is the French choice

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Thanks for the suggestions. My thought are so far, I do not wish to make this a big deal from my side. I have no problem with an unregistered car, done several before, but it has to be a good saving to make it worth the effort. Auctions, done that, saved the money. But I am not looking for work here. Showed her one last week that went for $200. NAAH and I am happy with that too. Probaby went to scrap which was what it was worth. Toyota Corolla.
    The young lady has seen that Pug 206 and likes it ? She also has some say in spending her money. I am just assisting not controlling the process. Just trying to get a good outcome for her "going foward". It is good to consider the technical side but there are other considerations that come into it too.
    So I am just continuing to look for a good car that is registered and has lowish Kms and can just be driven away in the short term. Some safety feature would be good too. The long term is several good years. No one has said do not buy a Froggy so I take that as a yes ?
    While some people imply you can buy a good car for low money I have not seen one I like yet. It is easy to say some cars do 300000Kms with out problems but that ignore the other things. Like brakes, steering joints, CVs, belts etc, as well as the minor things like window winders/switches, door handles etc etc that fail on old cars. I know I have done them all. So I will not be going for a high milage car most likely. Age may not be so detrimental IMHO. Look at me !
    Jaahn
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi David
    I will have look at that 206. What specific items would be applicable to a 206. Service intervals ? Timing belt etc. Any usual problems ? Anything go wrong with the auto? {just kidding } I noted the discs are worn, is that normal for that milage. My Capture will be on the second or even third set at that milage by the look at them now.
    Cheers Jaahn

Happy to have a quick look if you want to swing by here on a test drive

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    jaahn likes this.

Control arms swaybar links noisy alternator charge quick plug in to see any auto line pressure faults or alternator over charging auto wipers and lights work

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    jaahn likes this.

WLB

I am now Frogless, after almost 50 years. Although my son has my late father's 1974 504 TI in the shed, with a gunked up petrol tank, and he still drives a 2001 406 HDI.

I've been driving my late mother-in-law's car since October 2017, and I've done 30,000km in it. Including some long interstate trips. It's a 2007 Kia Rio automatic that had 40,000km on the clock when I got it. It's an ex-hire car.
    It's not a car that I would have considered buying, or even thought of looking at. But I can't speak more highly of it. Very comfortable, good seats, sufficient power, nibble and nippy.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    Control arms swaybar links noisy alternator charge quick plug in to see any auto line pressure faults or alternator over charging auto wipers and lights work
    Happy to have a quick look if you want to swing by here on a test drive
    Thanks David
    I will text you to arrange it. I guess there is a possibilty I might not get that far if I find a problem before hand
    Funny how you have that list to check but a Toyota (or??) might have nothing that goes wrong for several hundreds of thousands of KMs. Hmmm not my experience of cheap cars.
    Jaahn

[...]

Toyota Corolla.

[...]
    The cockroach of the automotive world. I doubt you will find anything that would satisfy this part of your brief below, other requirements considered or not.

[...]

(Looking for a small automatic) totally reliable ????

[...]
    jaahn likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Well that’s 18 years working on them and seeing almost every car in Newcastle on Toyota’s I could name cracking exhaust manifolds diffs failing on sportivos wheel bearings and alternators on the 1.8s power steering pumps leaking

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    The cockroach of the automotive world. I doubt you will find anything that would satisfy this part of your brief below, other requirements considered or not.
    Originally Posted by jaahn
    (Looking for a small automatic) totally reliable ????
    OK
    That was aspirational, I will admit
    Jaahn
    PS I do consider Toyota's good. I spent a couple of years in PNG in the '80s and they were the best workers there. Particularly the mini busses and utes as PMVs which ran day and night on atrocious roads. Not many small cars there to comment on.

French and Reliable?

"Introduced in 1999, the Yaris was the first Toyota to be manufactured in Europe (at Valenciennes, France). Its sole true innovation was the unusual "cab-forward" design and, while it did nothing brilliantly, it was more than competent in all respects and its flaws were minor. That's the way Toyota does things."
    (The Telegraph. Dec 2005)

OK, the link is very tenuous, but I think worth a laugh, if not serious thought.

I have maintained an Echo (pre Yaris) and a later Yaris for a young female co-worker, and they have been reliable and cheap to service.

Cheers.
    jaahn likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Default Isuzu Lu !

Hi
    Casting my mind back to PNG and vehicles. Isuzu was a big player there with PMVs and utes plus heavy trucks. In fact the major supplier of heavy rigid trucks for forestry logging etc. No semis or trailers there then !
    To promote Isuzu they sponsered a comic character in the main paper "the Post Courier". Later it was published as several books. I have some copies somewhere. Just a taste of "Isuzu lu". He became "Grass Roots" after a while. They are both a PMV aka a registered Public Motor Vehicle !!
    Jaahn
    Just try talking the pigin to get the sound of it.

Last edited by jaahn; 27th February 2019 at 04:13 PM.

Thread Information