"one owner" "immaculate"
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By alan moore

Thread: "one owner" "immaculate"

Default "one owner" "immaculate"

I flew interstate yesterday to look at a supposed immaculate one owner car.

After asking a few questions, I find out the gentleman I'm buying the car from has had it for a month, he got it traded from someone who got it from the original owner who really looked after it and always garaged it.

The dash was unusually faded, all 4 disc brakes had big edge lips, And not one shred of service history...

Sounds to me this is more like traded in, used by a dealer, sat in the yard, then onsold.

3 owners more like it.

Looking over the car there is a scrape under the side moulding on the lhr door with the lower sill punched in, boot lid has a big dent in it at the back, fog lamp damaged, woodgrain dash trim cracked, auto trans lever handle cracked, lhf calliper is really hot after a short drive.

Ok, but not immaculate.

I was so hoping it was a genuine one owner car with at least some written history. Grumble....

Advertisement

Which car ?

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by james h View Post
    I flew interstate yesterday to look at a supposed immaculate one owner car.

After asking a few questions, I find out the gentleman I'm buying the car from has had it for a month, he got it traded from someone who got it from the original owner who really looked after it and always garaged it.

The dash was unusually faded, all 4 disc brakes had big edge lips, And not one shred of service history...

Sounds to me this is more like traded in, used by a dealer, sat in the yard, then onsold.

3 owners more like it.

Looking over the car there is a scrape under the side moulding on the lhr door with the lower sill punched in, boot lid has a big dent in it at the back, fog lamp damaged, woodgrain dash trim cracked, auto trans lever handle cracked, lhf calliper is really hot after a short drive.

Ok, but not immaculate.

I was so hoping it was a genuine one owner car with at least some written history. Grumble....
    In all the used cars I've had, there has been no correlation between the quality of the car and the amount of service record, in fact I'd go as far as to say the complete opposite was the case, the more records the more shithouse the car.
    Jo
    dmccurtayne and jaahn like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Where did the notification of a one owner car come from?

More details required.

1000+ Posts

Hmmmm
    Yes it can happen ! I guess you need to keep your enthusiasm in check and ask all the right questions first. You must anticipate the person on the other end may not be a 'gentleman" at all !! In fact a lying bastard !! Bad luck.

I too have gone interstate to look at a vehicle and came back without buying. But with my current car I did it again and was not dissapointed and the car was better than the description. But I did ask lots of questions of the seller, who was not very helpful in some ways. As it turned out she was the wife of the original owner who had died and was older, and unused to selling cars particularly to a distant buyer. Also my car was really a two owner car by then ? .
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 20th February 2019 at 08:34 AM.

1000+ Posts

Sounds like the 605 in Launceston.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sout...dan/1207306328

From the photos, driver's side fog/blinker light has wrong colour glass, and I think I can see a dent in the boot on the RHS of the badge. Can't see cracks in the auto T-bar, but I know from bitter experience that they not only crack, but big chunks of plastic fall off . Also wood-grain trim cracks - the only piece on my car that isn't cracked is the ash-tray!

If the dash is faded, then how is the parcel shelf and the top of the rear seat back?

As I remarked in another thread (20+ years on - how many 605s still in regular use?, Post #13), it has original plates, but there was only one 605 sold in Launceston, and this car isn't it (I have it). Makes sense that this would have been the Hobart car (only other 605 sold new in Tas) - moved to Lonnie after trade-in.

If the service book (with details of original owner) has been binned, then that is very frustrating (it also happened to a really well maintained 605 that came up for sale in Qld some years ago - PJ810 knew the story) but given that only two 605s were sold in Tassie it surely wouldn't be too difficult to track down some history for it.

Compared to mine, which had been driven by a lady who had had a stroke, this car looks pretty good. The advantage mine had (10 years ago) was that it had only done 70,000km. That is now over 190,000km - so we have travelled 120,000 km without major problems - despite evidence that it been poorly serviced in it's first 14 years. I can list issues we have had for anyone who's interested.

Oh yes - if anyone else goes for a look at this car, if it seems gutless, and the auto won't kick down, just check the throttle cable free play. Mine came with wildly excessive free play - mentioned it to Goodwins (Cessnock), and they said they were delivered like this - supposed to be adjusted in pre-delivery service . Also they tend to look terrible under the bonnet - a 'protective' coating was applied liberally (not sure at what stage), which has dried and cracked and is virtually impossible to remove.

If I made the decision to go to Tassie for a look, I don't think I would come home without it. I seriously doubt that the perfect 605 exists in Australia - although I'd love to be proven wrong.

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 20th February 2019 at 11:13 PM.

1000+ Posts

What - just because I mentioned a 605, the conversation stops ? No wonder James was reluctant to spell out what he'd been to look at!

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Sounds like the 605 in Launceston.

If I made the decision to go to Tassie for a look, I don't think I would come home without it. I seriously doubt that the perfect 605 exists in Australia - although I'd love to be proven wrong.

Cheers

Alec
    Well that didn't take long - this might be a lot closer to the unicorn in question: Peugeot 605

Not going to say what car it was, but I know it will probably end up in the hands of someone here.
    I'm glad I walked away from it, Im sure something else will come up.

I have bought 3 old motorcycles off Ebay, even though after the second one I said I would never buy another. All looked pretty in the photos, all were at least 1000 Klms away, and all were a disappointment.

The first a '72 Suzuki T500, had a crook bottom end in the engine, which at the time parts were not available for. After 7 years of storage I rebuilt the engine with new parts that were now available and the bike is excellent.

The second a '76 BMW R90S, which had an incorrect back rim, a large dent in the original front rim, head set bearings shot, wheel bearings shot, many joins in the wiring loom just inside the headlight, both tappet covers had porous weld repairs, handlebars bent, white (water)oil in the gearbox and final drive, front brake cable frayed and so it goes on, and I still don't really know if the engine is good. I am still slowly sorting the bike. I could have bought an excellent R90S a friend had for $5000 more, and yes mine will be maybe $2000 cheaper by the time it is finished, (+200 hrs work) but never as good as my friends, and I would have been enjoying his for a year now. I really don't need any more projects.

The third, an '82 Honda CX500 whose final drive had badly worn splines and bearings, the cam driven fan is making a howling noise like the bearing or some arrangement is crook, and the bottom end makes a very clanky worn big end sound. Cam and followers don't sound too hot either. Head set bearing were shot also. I bought a good final drive, and fitted it and a new set of tyres, and head set bearings, but need to strip the engine. Other projects must come before this currently.

All of these were purported to be in very good to restored condition. All were unregistered. I picked up the first two personally, but had already paid for them, as is Ebay auction practice. The last I had shipped, after payment was received.

So yes, second hand machinery sellers can generally not be trusted in what they say, or what they say they will do. I knew this long ago, but still sometimes get caught out by someone saying the right words.
    jaahn likes this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

When buying on ebay you can refuse to finalise the transaction if you find something was not as described. Not pleasant, but it is your right.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information