• 1 Post By WLB
  • 3 Post By Kim Luck
  • 5 Post By JBN
  • 2 Post By driven
  • 2 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: If it happens elsewhere, it will come here Keyless theft

1000+ Posts

Icon8 If it happens elsewhere, it will come here Keyless theft

For those with the named cars (Not French) or using contactless card entry systems, some "stuff" that has been around for some time. Wont be long before our local hoods start using the same to target the more vulnerable cars and some tips to help yourself prevent such incursions

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47023003

Ken

Advertisement

I look at it from a different point of view would much rather wake up in the morning and say whereís the car like it used to be than have someone bonk me or the wife on the head in the middle of the night to take the keys.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

1000+ Posts

The relay method won't work if you keep your keys in a tested Faraday bag, or, at a pinch, the microwave oven.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Who'd steal a koleos??

Maybe....and a big maybe, a Renault sport Megane might get ridden for the joy of it, but most of us here have cars that are rather safe I'd say.

Jo
    driven, jaahn and Kenfuego like this.

UFO

I read recently where many high value car thefts in Australia are now undertaken by first breaking into the home. Sometimes the property owners are assaulted in the process. I also remember RobMac posting a couple of years ago about an in-counter security box he built and installed for a family where all keys and wallets go. I think it was RobMac anyway. Sounds like a good idea!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

As I posted thatís the problem with immob systems not worth dealing with some crack head in the middle of the night.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

UFO

The other entertaining stuff is when someone's motorbike, jetski, boats, valuable sports gear is stolen and the appeals go out on facebonk. Then you look at the victim's facebonk page (with half of three fifths of bugger all security) and see, oh you know, photos of motorbikes, jetskis, boats and valuable sports gear and often where its stored in or around the home. Some people need brain upgrades...
    dmccurtayne and WLB like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

You cant teach stupidity.
    Perth Vedette likes this.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

1000+ Posts

Sadly most ordinary mortals are too trusting and these days everything is so interconnected that some-one somewhere is sharing and selling personal information and the scammers are getting smarter. with car and key security it is only when the Insurance Industry starts to refuse payment or demand better security from manufacturers or demand a premium price to insure certain motor vehicles they slowly fix those wonderful black security holes.

JBN

I can see why this topic was launched in Froggy Chat. It would never have figured in the Citroen Forum - no need. I had a Xantia where the lock barrels had worn to the extent that the key couldn't operate the locks. Then the remote locking died. The car remained unlocked for the last 2 or 3 years, parked on the street most of the time. Absolutely no problems. Citroens are the lepers of the automobile fraternity. Touch one and your hand falls off.John

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    .... I had a Xantia where the lock barrels had worn to the extent that the key couldn't operate the locks. Then the remote locking died. The car remained unlocked for the last 2 or 3 years, parked on the street most of the time. ....
    Sounds like a 406 D8.
    Armidillo likes this.

I've always been under the impression no-one steals French cars because the control stalks are all back to front....
    UFO, CXVingtCinq and WLB like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

JBN

Getting used to driving the Camry. Dammed if I know why the Japanese insist on operating the wipers when all I want is to indicate that I intend to turn a corner.John
    Perth Vedette, UFO, JoBo and 2 others like this.

When I was a lot younger, "Keyless Theft" involved a brick through a quarter vent and some hot-wiring..........
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

How nice it is to live in the remote country where keys are still left in the cars in the shopping street and we never lock our house. Indeed it was usual practice to leave keys in tractors and heavy equipment in case somebody had to use them. The only keys I take out are from new fangled machines I'm worried will lock themselves. A different approach to life. But by law the guns are locked in a heavy safe.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    When I was a lot younger, "Keyless Theft" involved a brick through a quarter vent and some hot-wiring..........
    Or just a piece of coat-hanger wire poked past the rubber, and flip open the quarter vent latch.

On no, I will have to drag out the old steering wheel lock bar from under the house.
    The hoods have never seen one of these devices. It has a key
    hypermiler and Perth Vedette like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    Or just a piece of coat-hanger wire poked past the rubber, and flip open the quarter vent latch.
    Some vent windows had levers that required the push of a button to open them, 'cos they'd heard about WLB! ;-)
    cjl and UFO like this.

Thread Information