Products to remove minor paint scratches
  • Register
  • Help

Default Products to remove minor paint scratches

As the title says, what's a good product to remove those minor scratches you get in paintwork? I thought a cut and polish compound however am cautions because of the clear laqure on the surface.

Advertisement

Cheers
    Brad
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Without a Buf, Brad it's hard to get a ripper result. You can start on the deeper ones with as-fine-as-possible wet and dry sandpaper, but then one needs to get progressivly finer. Or just start with light cutters.
    The polish with the colour was a good idea at the time, but it's not much chop

I think it's Meguires that make a "swirl & scuff remover" that is there to take those annoying little swirls you can see after you wash or polish the car.
    I have heard it said that those coloured polishes do a pretty good job of hiding them too.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    Without a Buf, Brad it's hard to get a ripper result. You can start on the deeper ones with as-fine-as-possible wet and dry sandpaper, but then one needs to get progressivly finer. Or just start with light cutters.
    The polish with the colour was a good idea at the time, but it's not much chop
    I have an orbital sander with buffing pad. I guess I should take a trip to supercheap and see what Mcguiers is there.

I'd try Autoglym's Super Resin polish. This should remove minor swirl marks and also minor scratches. I've used it in the past and a few other guys have and have noted the brilliant results. www.autoglym.co.uk

That said i've also used the Meguiars gold class range and reckon they are about as good
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

1000+ Posts

If you have buffer marks & minor scratches, give Klasse a go!
    It fills all the lil marks in & removes all the scratches, makes your car come up a treat too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    If you have buffer marks & minor scratches, give Klasse a go!
    It fills all the lil marks in & removes all the scratches, makes your car come up a treat too!!!
    Any idea who stocks this?

If they are just minor scratches, pick up some Meguiars ScratchX and a hand app pad. See how it goes with that. With the age of your car, I'd be looking at getting it detailed by a professional rather than patching an experimenting with lots of different products. With a car of your age I'd be using a random orbtial with Meguiars DACD, then followed by a good wax, like Meguiars Liquid Yellow Wax (Gold Class is OK).

Buy these two products, plus applicator products plus time on a car that is as old as yours..I'd just pay someone reputable. Not that I'm bagging your car, but if you got some good quality lights on it, it'd be covered in scratches which would be brought back by a good detailer quite easily.

And don't worry about the clear coat, there's plenty there.

the mequirex scratch-X is not a bad product...except it comes in a little tube and is designed for localise use......why not try their graded cutters....use the fine cutter and finish off with swirl remover...the polish and wax...
    the only problem u r already up for more than $80 (although you will have a couple years supply)...
    so from cost perspective getting the car detailed makes sense....the only problem here is FINDING A GOOD DETAILER....and to tell u the truth...i dont really like your chances....most detailers (some even care about your car)
    are 2 crude and almost BRUTAL......Sure the car will look NICE when its done but 10:1....edges will be burned, plastics will be damaged, badges will loose chrome or paint etc etec......plus the fact that most use "economical products".....IE. they only care about the fact that the car LOOKS good at pick up...the fact that the CHEAP pilish will only last 2 weeks is really irrelevant 2 most operators out there....

Personally, if i was detailing it....I d give it a really good wash first....dry it....mask all sensetive edges,gaps, badges...etc......what i d do then is give it a cut USING the FINEST cut avilable (something like 3M microfinishing compound)......this is something that usually goes aginst the stream.....
    However by cutting first with finest cutters (instead of heavy grade)....what usually happens is that all the marks that are removed by fine cut will dissapear which will leave LOCALISED marks and scratches (which require either a heavy grade or a sh*t more work with fine)....
    THIS method means that U dont have to give the whole car a HEAVY cut which more often than not is overkill.....

Most cars do have plenty of CLEAR...pugs seem to be quite good....much much better than our VN commodores (designed with local conditions in mind)...However its still BEST to try and not cut much into CLEAR as this is the element that allows for DEEP GLOSS FINISH.......IE pretty hard to achieve that DEPTH (if there isn t much clear left) NO MATTER which product U use....

cheers

dino

..............well done (F1 win)

Good advice dino. Meguiars have a bunch of detailers they have trained and recommend, I'd suggest calling them to find out who their Brisbane based detailers are. They use your method or fine first and then a heavier compound on localised deeper scratches.

3M microfinish is a very nice product.

1000+ Posts

http://www.concoursecarcare.com.au

is where i got my Klasse from...
    i got the All in one & Sealant Glaze... (so i could layer it)

I am not saying it is best for what you want, but if you only have minor scratches, before you go overboard, try a reputable coloured polish - I have had good results from CarPlan (Triplewax) Coloured - it's about $25 per bottle. The main thing on a darker colour car is that it doesnt leave white polish in the surface cracks which only highlights them.

Icon10

Ive got the turtle wax scratch and swurl remove which i found did very little compared to notmal turtle wax, and teh other wax products i have... not worth teh 20ish bucks i paid for it..

honeslty if you want a good result take it to a car detailer and get them to air brush it, for a 100 bucks they will make your car spot less fix all the paint scratches up..

used car lots use this and make there cars look like new..

cheers
    Nathan
    ===============
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1994 Toyota Camry CSI
    2002 Honda CBR600F4i
    1989 Honda CD250U
    www.mad-biker.com
    ===============

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I might try scratch-X and see how I go. It's really not that bad, just that I'll be selling the S16 shortly and want it to look it's best.

Thread Information