100Kb Limit
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 100Kb Limit

Default 100Kb Limit

Why has the 100Kb size limit for JPG uploads been re-introduced? It was an appropriate file size in the Year 2000 but not in 2019. Additionally, the preview/thumbnail seems to be missing. Or is it just me?

Advertisement
    Last edited by PeterT; 13th January 2019 at 11:54 AM.
    driven and JoBo like this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Why has the 100Kb size limit for JPG uploads been re-introduced? It was an appropriate file size in the Year 2000 but not in 2019. Additionally, the preview/thumbnail seems to be missing. Or is it just me?
    Hi Peter
    Yes photos seem to be a problem lately for me also. It is much harder than some years ago. One at a time also!
    But I did a cut and paste off the internet for a story in the Toad Pond and it accepted that picture ??? not sure how many bites it had. Computers work in mysterious ways, that's for sure !!
    jaahn

My thumbnails are also missing.
    Couldn't upload from this screen
    Had to go into account upload there and then attach

Ah, so I am not the only one having a problem.
    I have tried a couple of times recently to add photos, in the same way I have for years, and I only get a thumbnail with a big "question mark" when uploaded to AF. These are photos reduced to about 50kb, and are .jpg.

I shall watch out for any fixes/suggestions.

Thanks.

Coco_3_reduced.jpg

Edit: Well, that was silly, wasn't it. Attached above thumbnail of a Question Mark for an example, but I see when clicked on, it shows the correct picture.
    Maybe that's a clue to the problem?

Cheers.

(Sorry Peter T., not your 100kb problem, but may be linked?)
    Last edited by Fordman; 13th January 2019 at 09:57 PM.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Just look at the source-
    <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/attachments/froggy-chat/111832d1547373074-100kb-limit-coco_3_reduced.jpg" title="Name: Coco_3_reduced.jpg
    Views: 2
    Size: 56.4 KB">Coco_3_reduced.jpg</a>
    It's no error, it is a new forum "feature".

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Just look at the source-
    It's no error, it is a new forum "feature".
    Except I cant see the picture on the thumbnail (in the uploaded files where I select the required picture to attach to the post), which makes it a little difficult. And the post doesn't have a thumbnail for a viewer to click on. However, if it works as per my post above, then I can live with it, by referring to the file name.

I've always stayed below 100kb, didn't know it had changed.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Yes, 100kb is tiny.
    As PeterT mentioned, okay for last century but not so much use now.
    Appreciate there have to be limits but 1MB or more might be more appropriate.

Not sure why JPEG thumbnails don't display but if you save your picture as a PNG file instead of a JPEG then the thumbnail will show in the post.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

that PNG tip is a good get, I wondered where the posting thumbs had run away to as well.

My memory fails me, but, the AF system now DEMANDS <100k, whereas I reckon that not so long ago the system ACCEPTED uploads of greater than 100k and then squeezed them itself ? Many years ago the uploader had to process their own images prior to upload, as we do now. It is self evident that 100k is OK with most images in here ? and, "normal" sized images suck bandwidth and server space, both of which are money.....

It's not difficult with user friendly stuff to reduce an image, just tedious... Although, Irfanview has a setting to limit size, but I've never used it. As a Photoshop user I find Linux Gimp a PITA....

If a big image is needed, upload it elsewhere and provide a link - there are lots of freebies, but sometimes they have been shown to be unreliable, clouds rain sometimes....

As to posting display, you can use the IMG tags to enclose the address which you can pinch from the preview screen and takes the format....
    [IMG]...[/IMG]
    "http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111473&d=1545342177"
    from the download link.....
    "http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/attachments/humour/111473d1545342177-funny-pics-thread-ute.jpg"
    having done this three times now I'm a resident expert.....

cheers,
    Bob
    Last edited by bob; 15th January 2019 at 09:22 AM.

1000+ Posts

It's easy bob . Use convert (it come with imagemagick).A command line app with huge power. The -quality argument sets the jpg compression. You might want -strip to remove EXIF crap, or oher args, or perhaps limit the final dimensions.

Experiment and discover what suits your jobs. Then insert the command into the file manager as an action. The job is now a mouse click only.

My "easy" way to reduce photo size, and it seems to remain reasonable quality.
    (I'm using W10 and Outlook email).

Save full size pics in Pictures folder (done!)

Select photos for reduction, share to email - prompted for size - select smaller size (estimated size given).

Cross to email draft, save attachments one at a time, rename (eg, -reduced), and save back to relevant folder (or create an Edited Pics folder). Delete draft email.

Finished.

2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Easy??? It can all be done in one click.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    It's easy bob . Use convert (it come with imagemagick).A command line app with huge power. The -quality argument sets the jpg compression. You might want -strip to remove EXIF crap, or oher args, or perhaps limit the final dimensions.

Experiment and discover what suits your jobs. Then insert the command into the file manager as an action. The job is now a mouse click only.
    Easy for you - I just use existing programs, which is easy for me, and possibly others using standard non-expert language and programs.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

JBN

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. If your picture won't load, start typing and typing and typing.

John
    Fordman and cjl like this.

COL

When I take pics with my Canon DSLR camera there is a function in the camera menu to resize the pics.

I would think other brands of cameras would have the same feature, so that pictures can be resized before being transferred to your computer and uploaded to AF.
    Fordman likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Fordman, I was trying to help. Imagemagick convert goes back to the 1980s, and runs on all systems. Very widely used, non-standard it isn't, even though Microsoft doesn't include it by default. Bob's computer does have it, and probably has other stuff based on it.
    Fordman likes this.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

yeah, lots of "other stuff", that I've never heard of - but mainly for geeks, or those of more agile mind....

Since I left command lines behind, in the days of DOS & dBase, many decades ago, and joined the GUI people I have tended to largely ignore stuff that doesn't come with point and shoot screen layouts.

However, I do try and overcome these faults in my persona from time to time....

cheers,
    Bob
    Fordman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    When I take pics with my Canon DSLR camera there is a function in the camera menu to resize the pics.

I would think other brands of cameras would have the same feature, so that pictures can be resized before being transferred to your computer and uploaded to AF.
    The problem with this process is that you're possibly loosing the original image quality, unless it creates a duplicate in the process. I always download the high quality original, create a copy and resize. As said, there are plenty of software options available to get it under 100Kb. Even the humble Preview on every Mac will do it. I prefer to do them in batch with Photoshop.

The bigger issue however, is that 100Kb is very restrictive. If you're trying to illustrate something, sell a car etc., it doesn't scale well when you try to enlarge it. A modern phone picture is approx. 3Mb. I appreciate that if everyone started uploading 3Mb files storage space would disappear very quickly. I usually resize to 1200 pixels wide at 72dpi. This is more than adequate for on screen viewing and produces a file size of approx. 350Kb from memory. Could we settle on a 400Kb limit?

Until recently, the image uploader was re-scaling automatically. What happened?
    geckoeng likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I am no expert with the computer ops, but I have been thinking.

Are the current issues more to do with the web provider? Has the A/F sites capacity been reduced, due to the lack of advertisement revenue being generated for the supplier, or however it works. We do live in a user pays society...

Traffic/users and members seems to be down on what it was when I joined 7 years ago. Just checked and there are some 390 odd viewers online now and only 18 members. Interestingly, the system says that the site has 17,791 members and only 487 active members. In reality, that is not a lot of members across 4 makes of car.

Back to the revenue raising issue. If a vendor/business does not obtain a return on their marketing dollar, through whatever means of adverting they are using, they usually change their method. Could this also be happening here?

Not wanting to sound like a pessimist, but is the site being ignored by the provider. I for one would hate to see the site slow/dwindle...

Maybe those with more knowledge of these matters can enlighten us/me on how it works...

Hopefully, I am not stepping on toes here or opening a can of worms, just expressing my thoughts.

Cheers,

Dano

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    I am no expert with the computer ops, but I have been thinking.

Are the current issues more to do with the web provider? Has the A/F sites capacity been reduced, due to the lack of advertisement revenue being generated for the supplier, or however it works. We do live in a user pays society...

Traffic/users and members seems to be down on what it was when I joined 7 years ago. Just checked and there are some 390 odd viewers online now and only 18 members. Interestingly, the system says that the site has 17,791 members and only 487 active members. In reality, that is not a lot of members across 4 makes of car.

Back to the revenue raising issue. If a vendor/business does not obtain a return on their marketing dollar, through whatever means of adverting they are using, they usually change their method. Could this also be happening here?

Not wanting to sound like a pessimist, but is the site being ignored by the provider. I for one would hate to see the site slow/dwindle...

Maybe those with more knowledge of these matters can enlighten us/me on how it works...

Hopefully, I am not stepping on toes here or opening a can of worms, just expressing my thoughts.

Cheers,

Dano
    Hi Dano,
    You would be pretty close to the mark with your observations. . .

The site owner has dipped into his own pockets now for close to 20 years (I can't believe it's been that long) "Sharing the knowledge since 1999", Back then there was no site that provided a resource space for French car owners in Australia we were all on dial up modems and lucky to get 56k.

Hosting the site as it has grown has become a problem not only for the forum but those hosting, sponsors have come and gone leaving gibgib to continue to make up shortfalls - Gerry has a growing family and his interests are more diverse than they were back then. Gerry is still an enthusiast and has just completed some major work on his 2CV but seldom has time to look in on the forum.

I've not spoken with Gerry about any changes that might have taken place recently but would understand that if the current hosts are putting pressure to reduce bandwidth, server space and the all too frequent time outs. some measures might have been imposed?

Let's work around the image size/thumbnails issues etc. as, as you allude it could be much worse. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Dano likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Is there a backup if, for whatever reason, we lose the site? If so, how up to date is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    Is there a backup if, for whatever reason, we lose the site? If so, how up to date is it?
    Yes, of course, we've had bad experiences with previous hosts - as I understand onsite and offsite backups daily.

I didn't mean to alarm, AF is here to stay.

Cheers
    Chris
    jaahn, bob, Kenfuego and 3 others like this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Thanks for your reply Chris.

It helps to put things into perspective.

Cheers,

Dan

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Thanks for your reply Chris.

It helps to put things into perspective.

Cheers,

Dan
    It does, and a timely reminder of the generosity of our founder - 20 year anniversary thank you gibgib

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

COL

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    The problem with this process is that you're possibly loosing the original image quality, unless it creates a duplicate in the process. I always download the high quality original, create a copy and resize. As said, there are plenty of software options available to get it under 100Kb. Even the humble Preview on every Mac will do it. I prefer to do them in batch with Photoshop.

The bigger issue however, is that 100Kb is very restrictive. If you're trying to illustrate something, sell a car etc., it doesn't scale well when you try to enlarge it. A modern phone picture is approx. 3Mb. I appreciate that if everyone started uploading 3Mb files storage space would disappear very quickly. I usually resize to 1200 pixels wide at 72dpi. This is more than adequate for on screen viewing and produces a file size of approx. 350Kb from memory. Could we settle on a 400Kb limit?

Until recently, the image uploader was re-scaling automatically. What happened?
    I appreciate that when you reduce the size of the file you will loose some quality.

This is the process I have used for all the pics that I have posted on AF, they appear to be no worse a quality than anyone else's pics that are posted here on AF
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

For sure, but if you want good copies for yourself, you don't have any. For example, sending originals of a car to a potential buyer? You'd want the ability to zoom right in. But I digress. It has nothing to do the newly imposed limit. I fully understand GreenBlood's comments.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information