Dashcam for Peugeot 407SW
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By turnbull151

Thread: Dashcam for Peugeot 407SW

Default Dashcam for Peugeot 407SW

Hi guys,
    I want to purchase a dashcam for my 407sw. Any advice re. brands or types would be very much appreciated.
    Is a rear camera a good idea?
    Regards,
    David

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

FWIW, I think all situations need to be covered or otherwise the dashcam is of limited value. I think a rear camera is essential. While my wife was stopped at a Give Way sign, the car behind ran into her. He was generous enough to write down all his details, but unfortunately, they were all falsified. Had there been a rear dashcam, it would have at least captured the actual number plate and provided incontestable evidence of how the accident occurred.
    If, like us, you sometimes leave the car in a public place (eg while attending an event or overnight accommodation without secure parking) then you probably need to have the dashcams operating for extended periods (as the owner of this Aston Martin had https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glbs8z--DEQ ) That is where I found it gets difficult; how do you ensure the cameras firstly bypass Economy mode, and so continue to operate (eg overnight), but also never drain the battery too low to start the car (even with motion detection mode)?
    Last edited by turnbull151; 10th January 2019 at 09:19 PM.
    JustinJapan1964 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    FWIW, I think all situations need to be covered or otherwise the dashcam is of limited value. I think a rear camera is essential. While my wife was stopped at a Give Way sign, the car behind ran into her. He was generous enough to write down all his details, but unfortunately, they were all falsified. Had there been a rear dashcam, it would have at least captured the actual number plate and provided incontestable evidence of how the accident occurred.
    Some questions. What dashcam did you have set up for the front, and was a rear facing camera an option for that model? If so, why did you not get that option at the time? (Iím not trying to point the finger. Iím just curious. I have never considered a rear facing camera until now, but I see your point.)

On the issue of the falsified details, did your insurance company still pay you and not deduct your excess? When I was sideswiped by a 4WD and the driver drove off at high speed, my insurance company said that if I had reported the incident to them before going to the police and trying to recall the registration plate details, they would have paid me in full, based on my memory. But because I went through a process with the police, I was disadvantaged.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

Fellow Frogger!

I didn't proceed with having dashcams (front or back) installed as the installer wasn't able to give me comfort about how much charge two cameras would draw overnight in a busy carpark where activated frequently. He was going to tap into cigarette lighter wiring which I think(?) may be subject to economy mode?
    Damage was not worth claiming in our case. That seems generous the insurer paying out without precise details of other party. I wonder does it affect claims history and future premiums?

Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    Damage was not worth claiming in our case. That seems generous the insurer paying out without precise details of other party. I wonder does it affect claims history and future premiums?
    That’s a question to which I won’t ever know the answer, really. The insurance company certainly wouldn’t be interested in giving me information like that!

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

Thread Information