• 1 Post By JBN
  • 3 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By Beano
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 1 Post By 1972Ren

Thread: Oh What A Feeling

JBN

Default Oh What A Feeling

Today, sadly I pronounced my 1994 Citroen Xantia VSX dead with a little over 200,000 kilometers on the clock. The only new radiator I could obtain was for a manual car. Mine was automatic and needed an extra hose outlet. The Europeans generally had manual Xantias so I wouldn't expect to find a new automatic radiator and didn't have the time to search. I had bought this car for $2000 in 2009 with 100,000 kilometers on the clock, so I have had my money's worth.

Being a quick learner, I concluded that I needed another cheap car to replace it, but one with readily available spares. I am now the proud owner of a 2000 Toyota Camry CSi, with 88,525 km on the clock for $3,800. So in 10 years it has cost me double to buy a car. Interestingly, at one stage this car came from a Toyota dealer a 6-7 minute walk from my place, though I bought it from a second hand dealer near Maitland.

In the 3 hour drive home to southern Sydney I noticed the aircon was very good, the electric wing mirrors worked (the Xantia's did up to a year ago), the seats are not as soft as the Xantia's, the ride is not as supple, the brake pedal needs to be pushed a fair way to get the instant braking of the Xantia and the automatic gearbox didn't have the same control over the speed going downhill with a trailing throttle. With the ZF gearbox of the Xantia, if you backed off the throttle going down hill the gearbox held the speed rather than wanting to freewheel.

Advertisement

Anyhow, its now my wife's problem. Once she gets used to pushing the brake pedal instead of caressing it and indicating with the correct lever rather than operating the wipers, I should be able to enjoy my 2CVs for which I can still get ALL parts (preferably when the AUD/EURO rate moves in a better direction).

John
    Dano likes this.

1000+ Posts

A bit sad - but you did your best! I have to admit that I just sort of gave up on my Xantia Turbo CT several years ago when it failed rego due to a failed strut top (being the modern type it didn't go through the bonnet, and I hadn't noticed ).

Not enough cause to give up? It also had a blown head gasket - performance was terrible until the turbo got spinning enough to overcome the complete lack of compression on the middle cylinders. I was lucky enough to have other cars which were easier to keep on the road and it just got quietly forgotten.

Cheers

Alec

PS From your description of your last drive in the Xantia you'd probably cooked the engine anyway. Just sayin...

COL

There is a time when cars become uneconomical to keep on the road, especially some modern cars that don't have a cult following and no one supports them with spare parts.

John I think you have definitely had your moneys worth from the Xanita and you have had 9 years of running from this car. A modern car that lasts 24 years is pretty good when you consider all the things that can stop them and make them expensive to repair.
    Dano, Kenfuego and J-man like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

It is rather sad and mirrors my own situation.
    I own one of the very last Peugeot 505s in Brisbane but will regretfully be selling it soon....I bought a Commodore. The VY model was recommended to me as the best of them and I found one with 150Ks on it, very well looked after. It has rear wheel drive and ABS brakes. Parts can be bought anywhere.

BTW, JBN....if you are selling the Xantia, you could tell the buyer that they might be able to get it going again by fitting a manual radiator and an external transmission cooler. I have bought them from wreckers for $25 and they were in good condition. Only real expense is the hose going from trans to front of car....
    J-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post

[...]

A modern car that lasts 24 years is pretty good when you consider all the things that can stop them and make them expensive to repair.
    Dad kept his R12 for 32 years. Bought new in 74. Nobody ever opened the g'box. Two engine rebuilds (I think) and one re-shell (rust). Everything else was original on it when he drove it to the scrap yard and it was only because the govt gave him a serious advance on a new Logan. I wish he kept it. No idea how many k's it had, but it crossed the continent three times back and forth with all four of us on holidays and I have seen 140km/h in it fully loaded in Germany in the seventies. A hard but not bad life. I still keep the steering wheel and the gearstick knob off it.
    J-man likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

JBN One thing with a Camry that old, check the radiator carefully! New ones are dirt cheap.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Dad kept his R12 for 32 years. Bought new in 74. Nobody ever opened the g'box. Two engine rebuilds (I think) and one re-shell (rust). Everything else was original on it when he drove it to the scrap yard .
    Hi,
    I'm inclined to think that if a car has had 2 new motors and a new body, that isn't very original.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

If you read my post again you might find that I wrote "everything else was original". As in apart from the things I mentioned.

The oil was changed quite a few times as well, does that count?

There was a time when you could buy a new body shell or sections of the chassis from Renault as spares (I had some years ago the entire roof section replaced on a Honda, so parts like these must still be available). If replacing those and rebuilding the engine means the rest of the car is no longer original, well, that's your call.

These were OEM parts, not bits from other cars, or custom made or modified parts.

There are however a lot of other bits and pieces in a car.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by neil s View Post
    JBN One thing with a Camry that old, check the radiator carefully! New ones are dirt cheap.
    Good suggestion ! My friend's Camry radiator developed tiny cracks in the upper tank.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    If you read my post again you might find that I wrote "everything else was original". As in apart from the things I mentioned.

Hi,
    Yes I realise that. Everything was original, except the motor and the entire structure of the car. That doesn't really sound like a great example of a long lasting motor vehicle. Just a personal opinion. I would imagine most people posting here have a car more than 32 years old, with the original motor, body, AND all the other stuff. At a guess...

Thread Information