Are fuel prices on the rise for the holiday season and no protest? - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Are fuel prices on the rise for the holiday season and no protest?

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Pots and kettles but it is that time of year to put away the cutlery Peace

Its o.k. we do get axe grinder types like yourself that take selective contrary positions just to stir and disrupt, better if you read what is actually being said, then comment, but then you are new, and we don't want to verbally shove a lump of coal in your Christmas sock,

Advertisement

So peace on earth and goodwill, Oil companies, oil cartels and so forth take note

Enjoy the festive cheer.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi all, just for the record when this comes up next year, ULP has fallen every day in Sydney, from 7th December to 29th December, and looks like continuing, so this old 'prices higher in to holidays' furphy is wrong again. Just sayin.... In that time, it fell from $1.49 to $1.21 and has only had one upswing in the last 9 weeks, so there hasnt even been any of this 'orchestrated regular cycle' thing happening either.

1000+ Posts

Default Double taxing excise and GST probably no political will to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    We can dream. Why would it be in the interest of any government, especially overpromising ones, to reduce fuel prices when higher prices increase government revenue with the help of double taxation on top?
    Yes Jobo, that was exactly the problem that Bob Hawke faced when he wanted to help motorists and reduce their taxation, but then the bean counters pointed out that getting rid of the fuel tax would cost his government 1500million in lost revenue, and when faced with cutting social programs and welfare, he quietly chose to keep the fuel tax flowing. As far as I know John Howard was the only one to reduce the fuel tax, but then the oil industry immediately increased their prices to absorb it. Since that I don't think any politician has done anything except to tinker around the edges. If anyone can recall another politician cutting fuel taxes or doing anything else except tub thumping about artificial price increases, feel free to remind us.

I'd like to see the government buy up a strategic fuel "lake" with all that tax money and devise a system of industry contribution as well to prevent windfall profiting. I'm sure a "beancounter" motorist could devise a cute system to cater for emergencies and a way of getting rid of the artificial so called "motorist's competing fuel cycles" that are strategically used by the oil retail industry to push up average retail prices over time.

Anyway we will just have to see, Crude prices are still down overseas, but wait for the slightest excuse and the cartels will be active there again to shore up the international pricing and any glut fixed with arbitrage storage ships. Nice to see the prices lower for those that are travelling over the holiday break.

Happy travelling to all, if you hit heavy price rises anywhere be sure to let us know. I'll keep and eye on basic Costco pump pricing each time I fill up in Melbourne.

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    some might be surprised to know that the fuel tax is not related to the price. So the idea that a lower price reduces tax income is false.

JBN

Don't EVER let facts ruin a good story, 1972Ren.

John
    dino likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Yes Jobo, that was exactly the problem that Bob Hawke faced when he wanted to help motorists and reduce their taxation, but then the bean counters pointed out that getting rid of the fuel tax would cost his government 1500million in lost revenue, and when faced with cutting social programs and welfare, he quietly chose to keep the fuel tax flowing. As far as I know John Howard was the only one to reduce the fuel tax, but then the oil industry immediately increased their prices to absorb it. Since that I don't think any politician has done anything except to tinker around the edges. If anyone can recall another politician cutting fuel taxes or doing anything else except tub thumping about artificial price increases, feel free to remind us................................................ ..................................................
    Ken
    1972Ren, there is nothing in Ken's leader that says fuel tax is related to fuel prices, but lowering the fuel tax did not lower the retail fuel price either. Howard's Conservative government lowered fuel tax, so the oil companies could paid less tax, but then they increased their pump prices, effectively double dipping. Works every time.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Perhaps we could follow the example of the French and have a riot;just a thought.
    cjl likes this.

1000+ Posts

SIL is back for a visit and told us that it is Renault and Peugeot drivers who are the Yellow Jackets They are upset because 10 years ago or so they were all encouraged to buy diesel cars and diesel was cheaper than petrol. Now, the gov. tells them to buy petrol cars and upped the diesel price.
    Australians are too lazy to protest like that, i think? Even with the fixed speed cameras, the French people used to destroy them virtually as soon as they were installed. It became to expensive to replace them
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

Just filled up in Clovelly BP 98 for 1.33 per liter.

Lowest they have been in a long time.
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Competition watch dog and overseas protests infiltrated..

SIL is back for a visit and told us that it is Renault and Peugeot drivers who are the Yellow Jackets They are upset because 10 years ago or so they were all encouraged to buy diesel cars and diesel was cheaper than petrol. Now, the gov. tells them to buy petrol cars and upped the diesel price.
    Australians are too lazy to protest like that, i think? Even with the fixed speed cameras, the French people used to destroy them virtually as soon as they were installed. It became to expensive to replace them
    I think like some of the protests in Australia there is now a large Anarchist group component that has infiltrated into the French protests to try and bring down Macron's Government they latch on to any popular movement add extreme violence to suit their agenda, easy to masquerade wearing yellow vests and cause maximum disruption in the street along with so called Antifa movement activists mob rule suits them. Unfortunately malcontents with any grievance can be sucked into mob violence. The core organisers themselves melt off as police get serious and the mugs get arrested, creating more dissatisfaction.

Jobo Good that fuel prices are still down here and overseas, maybe the announcement in Newspapers 2/January 2019 HS page 7. ACCC has cartels in sights as headlines. goes on to say.

Competition Cop has put the big end of town on notice, saying several more criminal cartel cases are likely to be launched this year Australian Competition and Consumer Commission Chairman Rod Sims say the watch-dog is also likely to launch its first case over abuse of market power under new laws introduced after a government review of competition police

Hopefully that may bring out some whistleblowers inside the fuel industry as that will be needed especially if price fixing and gouging starts in the fuel refining and production overseas plus add on price padding and manipulation activity to the pump, and other market profit padding activity.

International markets are still down so no reason to jack up average pricing.

See how we go, lots of trolling around the internet so maybe IT will happen.

Don't hold your breath, but we do have elections coming up.

Ken

Filled up this morning with 91 for $1.12 1/2 at Wishart
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

It is great to see those cartels and corrupt local oilmen and their retail market lackeys, have chosen to let petrol fall 30% in 3 months, when they could have just kept it all up at $170. Small wonder there have been no protests.

petrol.JPG

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Volks new cheap EV, sign of the times will French EV's follow the price trend?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...rce=newsletter

Ah I see that the race is on to produce cheap electric cars. And I don't mind the idea of such vehicles being used in urban areas, will aid cities air quality even if a bit less practical for long range travel that is common in Australia.

Perhaps one day our own domestic oil production will accommodate all the travel and shipping needs of this continent, with no need to import, unless of course the overseas producers lower their priceing to a point we buyers absolutely must buy from them at bargain pricing and keep our own resources in the ground as a strategic reserve.

Might be a pipe dream at the moment, but the push is on among the manufacturers to capture the EV market for themselves.

(Brent crude still down 15% on the years pricing levels. Slight upward Northern Hemisphere winter price spike. that might be an excuse for pushing ours - wait and see what the ACCC is doing)

Ken

Petrol was pretty cheap this morning on the servos I passed on the way to work.
    I think one have E10 at $1.10/ltr.
    I don't use E10 but the other fuel grades were also relatively low.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Petrol was pretty cheap this morning on the servos I passed on the way to work.
    I think one have E10 at $1.10/ltr.
    I don't use E10 but the other fuel grades were also relatively low.
    The same servo is $1.30 today.
    Guess the good times are over.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

1000+ Posts

Was on the news yesterday - Tasmanians pay about 30c more than mainlanders.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

1000+ Posts

Was on the news yesterday - Tasmanians pay about 30c more than mainlanders.
    My daughter always reminds me of that, for a while things improved when the ACCC was having a pointed look at grocery and fuel pricing the Tassie fuel price was then not much different to here in Melbourne when I last took a car to the island.

On reflection though it was more like the mainland fuel prices had reached the then higher price of the day and Tassie was down on their previous sky high prices while the ACCC was gathering information and declaring so in publicity. Didn't last of course Di uses 98 for her car and when I last compared price on that grade we were buying in the 133.7 and hers was close to 190.9 or thereabouts for 98 RON.

Ken

Brent crude is $61.50 up 3% on the day and 11 % down on the year USD so yes rising slowly overseas.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    not the US$ price of Brent Crude has anything to do with it.

1000+ Posts

Icon4 Latest Melbourne actual pump price purchases.

Well Hullo, Impression seemed to be for Melbourne it was fill up last week to get the best prices and in driving around Melbourne it actually seemed that the "Melbourne market competition" was resisting the upward creep in fuel prices.

Then there was the "Ripped off at Bowser" Headlines yesterday hinting that Inspectors will conduct a pump blitz because of a rise in Service stations caught short changing at the bowser HS Page 05 16/01/2019

National Measurement Institute experts testing petrol and diesel dispenser accuracy last financial year found 4.8 per cent underpoured - double the rate of two years earlier. In light of this trend , NMI,s national compliance plan for 2018-19, includes a focus on inspection of this instrument type" the regulator said.

Later the report said that of the 1933 pumps checked nationwide, 1.6% gave motorists more than they paid for How's that, inadvertently some motorists caught up.

So worthwhile Service stations getting their pumps checked.. apparently the maximum permissible error for petrol and diesel dispensers is plus or minus 0.3 per cent of the volume delivered. While NMI won't identify the worst unless prosecuted it does keep records of the main suspects. I recall they went through Echuca some years back and two outlets got some local adverse publicity and they have since closed down. Still would like to see the worse cases listed though. Two thirds of all complaints about potential trade measurement law breaches relate to suspected fuel rip-offs. So good that motorists are reporting their suspicions for investigation!

Filled the Megane Diesel at Costco today and pleasing to report 91 ULP was 109.7 98 RON was 125.7 and Diesel was one cent per litre dearer at $126.7 Not as busy as it has been at other times but busy enough. It is always nice to compare with the Bundoora Shell on Plenty Road where diesel was shown at $145.9 per Litre. BP was 143.9 quite a big difference to Costco

Hope you are getting even better prices than I did at Costco

Oh and Brent crude was $60.70 USD a barrel up 2% on the day but still down by 12% on the year, there was a bit of fluctuation when it reached $61.70 11/01/2019 but then fell to $60 a barrel on the 15th and that, some say, might have been a nervous reaction to Nicolas Maduro to be sworn in for a second six-year term as president of Venezuela! And they are still experiencing a severe winter in the Northern hemisphere that usually bumps up certain spot fuel prices for finished heating fuels and wood heating products.

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 17th January 2019 at 05:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information