• Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Armidillo
  • 2 Post By JBN
  • 4 Post By JBN

Thread: Anne Beadell Highway by Citroen 2CV

JBN

Default Anne Beadell Highway by Citroen 2CV

I have just posted my first Youtube video. The name is as the thread name.

The link is:www.youtube/watch?v=e5NdqxEpT5E

It is about 28 minutes long so a pee stop is advised before you watch.
    If you don't like it, another toilet stop will be required after.

John

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Site can't be reached
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5NdqxEpT5E

the '.com' was missing...
    JoBo likes this.

What time of the year was your recce, John?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Certainly a trip best done with a group!

Remarkably little dust - as there was no sign of any moisture (apart from frost at -8C) then presumably the fine particles were long gone, just leaving sand?

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

gong quite fast John, or was it me watching @ 2x speed
    Great trip!
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

JBN

Thanks for fixing the Youtube link.

This trip occurred in August 2018, not very long ago. We did have rain on the very first day in the evening, when Daffyduck was flipped on its side to have the front shock absorber mount welded. The rest of the time was nice and sunny but cold at night. August is a good month for outback travel because it is usually rain free, clear warm (but not hot) days and clear night skies with a million stars. An added bonus is travelling from west to east as morning starts are leisurely so the sun is high enough not to interfere with driving. It also means that late in the day when one is scouting for campsites, the setting sun is behind giving good visibility of wildlife near the road.

We worked out that the shock absorber damage was due to the Monroe shock absorbers, probably not being long enough on full extension and thereby snapping the pins holding them to the chassis. The broken pins showed that they had been half cracked on Raid 2016, when I had changed the old Lipmesa shocks to Monroes. The Lipmesa are very good but out of production. Burton have sourced their own brand of shock absorber made to the Lipmesa specifications. I am ordering a set now with the Euro-Aud ratio favourable.

John
    Kim Luck and Dano like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Great little adventure story in indomitable tough little vehicles. Why do we do it, indeed? Because it's there and we can! Not unlike Thomas the Tank Engine. Love the bush mechanic repairs. Now have an 'ear worm' from that tune.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    gong quite fast John, or was it me watching @ 2x speed
    Great trip!
    Most of the time we were in 2nd gear or 3rd gear. It looks quicker on video. Basically one drives as quick as one is comfortable with. I drive quicker than my co-driver. I also drive a 2CV every day. I also own Daffy Duck and if driving too fast breaks things, it is my money that is at risk. I also have quick reflexes and a good ability to read a dirt road in real time.

One thing that I do and I am not sure many other 2CV drivers do is to use both accelerator and clutch pedal to keep up revs and torque. In my normal daily driving on bitumen I often depress the clutch pedal a bit and ride it out during corners to preserve my torque. Not a thing most would teach or advocate, but it works for me and I have rarely had the clutch changed (once in 20 years I think). I also continually double clutch to keep up revs and momentum and on a dirt road that gives me more options.

The latter half of the Anne Beadell was driven by me driving solo, as I only had two front shock absorbers of unknown origin/compatibility and one rear one and we had run out of spares. Losing the weight of the passenger reduced further damage and risk, but it did mean that the filming stopped as I was no longer in the passenger's seat.

I have already reneged on the NEVER AGAIN sign as like Clancy, the outback of Australia gives pleasures that the townsfolk never know. It also shows the southern sky at night with a clarity that only sailors see, as one is hundreds of kilometres from man made light sources.

Although I am not President of the USA, madness does have its own rewards.

John
    Armidillo, Dano, JoBo and 1 others like this.

Thread Information