Good Police work! :) - Page 2
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Good Police work! :)

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    And all rules must be obeyed, and policed with zero tolerance, because they are rules, Just Because.
    There was an incident in The Shire recently where a HWP spotted a driver using a mobile phone. He sped after her at, some say, double the speed limit without lights or siren, giving another driver little chance to exit a side street before being walloped by an aptly named "walloper".

She is still in hospital. He is no longer in HWP.

Advertisement

John

In 1970, my Dad's best man was driving home in his trusty FC Holden ute with at least 10 pots under his belt. He crossed Ipswich road at Annerley and hit a low fence at an estimated 35 mph, throwing him through the screen and about 15 ft in front of the car, dead on impact.

Dont tell me that the drivers now are any better (or even worse), when even in a 2 star ancap car, you would be flat out breaking skin. Newer cars make us way safer and I believe, much less able drivers.
    4's 16's and Caravelle

JBN

The risk factor driving a 2CV hasn't changed for the last 70 years. The only safety addition has been seat belts. To drive them requires a lot of concentration and confidence in one's own ability when surrounded by large utilities or SUVs, particularly when they have bullbars to protect themselves from 2CVs and errant pedestrians.

John

1000+ Posts

Seat belts, air bags when they work properly and designs so you don't wear the motor in a head on have all helped but the world is not the same as a test laboratory and real world performance is somewhat different. Some cars are stronger than others. People still get killed. Even in the newest designs. Some keep the roof up in a rollover, others are weak and collapse killing the occupants. An older Peugeot survives a rollover well. The only modern front drive Peugeot I've seen in a roll over collapsed its roof killing its driver. Some modern designs keep their roof up but others collapse badly. Crashes are dreadful things and don't imagine the outcome is any different with the latest five star NCAP rated car when it hits the tree or the log truck.

https://youtu.be/fPF4fBGNK0U

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

https://youtu.be/gpSLa_mP4lc

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

https://youtu.be/adpisB5RsCs

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Garage C5 X7 4008

Remember itís not your body hitting the car that kills you itís your brain lungs etc smashing into your skull and ribs that will finish you off.
    I also employ everyone to read up about the Cronulla crash and the delays in interviews with the officers involved

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Garage C5 X7 4008

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    Seat belts, air bags when they work properly and designs so you don't wear the motor in a head on have all helped but the world is not the same as a test laboratory and real world performance is somewhat different. Some cars are stronger than others. People still get killed. Even in the newest designs. Some keep the roof up in a rollover, others are weak and collapse killing the occupants. An older Peugeot survives a rollover well. The only modern front drive Peugeot I've seen in a roll over collapsed its roof killing its driver. Some modern designs keep their roof up but others collapse badly. Crashes are dreadful things and don't imagine the outcome is any different with the latest five star NCAP rated car when it hits the tree or the log truck.
    Sadly the only country that mandates rollover protection to any extent is the gd yanks I guess they need it

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Garage C5 X7 4008

1000+ Posts

Perhaps the news cameras should hang around to film the body recovery after an accident. Ambulances don't carry dead people. When they pronounce death they leave. In Victoria the SES in the city and the CFA in the country recovers the bodies and they are taken away by a contract undertaker. It is an unpleasant job done carefully with great respect. Left to their own devices undertakers do recoveries quickly with no respect. In the country if the accident investigators want to come the scene might be left intact for hours and even over night. I think the job makes the recovery crews morose. Dead kids are something nobody handles well. I only ever went to crashes as fire suppression but I can't say I liked it. I've never heard anyone say after a crash what a well designed and safe car, usually the opposite. As to being flat out breaking skin in a new car, not far from here a family was last year involved in a crash into a large red gum in a very new car with awful consequences.
    Last edited by Russell Hall; 18th November 2018 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    ..........................As to being flat out breaking skin in a new car, not far from here a family was last year involved in a crash into a large red gum in a very new car with awful consequences.
    Which leads one to the inevitable conclusion that untethered trees roaming about everywhere are a constant danger to the driving public.....
    dmccurtayne, JoBo and Armidillo like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Melc View Post
    Newer cars make us way safer and I believe, much less able drivers.
    Never a truer word spoken, and I would love to get the input and opinions of the police and emergency services attending the scene.

It is a generational thing. If you are teaching a 16yo, you are probably early 40s, and were taught by someone who is now mid-sixties and probably themselves learnt to drive in a 60s Holden.

Every day I see learners in an Audi Q7 or similar. Approaching a corner that I can comfortably take at 60kmh, they are doing 50 and are instructed to brake to about 30.

This is the generational mentality, and most of the drivers should not on the road, because they have no concept of their own ability but more importantly their car's ability.

I am not advocating hooning, simply that people should learnt to drive, as they do in Europe, and not just steer the car from one slow-down-corner to the next.

And worst of all? Every single person who washes off 20kmh for the corner will drive the same amount over the speed limit. right up your clacker. It happens to me on every single corner, because I never need slow down. I drive 60 in the straight and 60 in the corner.

So after putting 10 car lengths on the moron behind in the corner, they invariably think that they are a superior driver because they can drive faster in the straight.

This is what the police should be targetting - the mentality of the Straight Line Driver. Because it is that same mentality that makes them think it is alright for them to use the phone ie that law is for everyone else, but not them, as they are better that the next person.
    JoBo, cjl and gsmack like this.

JBN

How many driving school vehicles are in any lane OTHER than the right most lane?

John

IWS

Another example of the police (or at least one, very assertive officer) at work here Disability pensioner suing NSW Police after officer draws gun and pepper sprays her dog

The news report says that a magistrate has described the officers behaviour as heavy handed. NSW police have defended his actions. Based on the dashcam footage I'd side with the view of the magistrate.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    Hi,
    yes great work. It is a pity they aren't policing anyone doing anything to do with road safety.
    The notion that you can be a "distracted driver" while sitting in a stationary car is pretty stupid.

On the contrary, ive seen crashes where people creep forward while surfing their phone and run into the car in front. I've seen them think a lights gone green and drive forward into an intersection, and Ive seen people run into cyclists stationary in front of them because they were on their device at lights. Oh, and stay stationary when the lights have turned green.
    UFO likes this.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

1000+ Posts

Default Precautionary principles

best stay home? but even peoples homes have dangers..

JBN

I have always been an adrenaline junky. My first car was a VW Beetle that turned every wet day into an adrenaline theme park. An MG TF with the synchromesh knobs ground off to produce a crash gearbox to give quicker gear changes than the crappy 1950's synchromesh (or noisier ones if you miss timed). Hunting VC during the Vietnam War using tracker dogs. Later in Commandoes parachuting out of aircraft day and night, underwater swimming day/night, paddling off submarines in canoes as they submerged day/night about 5 miles or more off shore.

Now all I have is the 2CV to keep the insanity at a level I have become accustomed to. I am not worried about losing my life as I have spent my life dearly hanging on to it under all circumstances. But who knows....one day I might be clobbered by a driver within the speed limit, driving calmly with his wife, when his mistress calls on his legal hands free phone offering some lurid details of how the should spend their next evening. At this stage the cockpit is placed on a war footing, recriminations fly and the vehicle sails through a red light squashing a little yellow car minding his own business.

John
    cjl likes this.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information