Information needed
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By panhard
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Information needed

Default Information needed

Looking around for a car for my daughter, need to know which cars had AL4 transmissions, approx year range, and which cars have the 1.6 engine that had timing chain issues (were these problems sorted or still likely to exist)
    Which models should I avoid??
    thanks Pete

Advertisement

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Hi Pete - Renault automatics from early 90's to 2010ish were all AL4. Oh, except for Lagunas from around 2002 - which were Aisan Warner 5 speeds then into 6 speed Nissan box later. Also Koleos petrol is Nissan 6 speed. (Not sure if it still is. Anyone else able to help out there??). Series 3 Megane and Fluence were Nissan CVT 2011 to 2014ish (which is a nice box) and following that Megane and Clio 4 got the dual clutch transmision. (Jury out on that one. Some like it, some don't).Have an AL4 Clio 2 and Nissan boxed Megane and Fluence in family - all performing well. (Although one always drives slightly nervously in the Clio waiting for it to misbehave. We do get the auto fluid changed every 2 years to help avoid AL4 issues in that one though).
    Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Bryce
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

Fellow Frogger!

I should imagine your daughter is looking for reliability and low cost maintenance. My suggestion would be a Hyundai and leave our beloved European cars to the enthusiasts who can afford to keep them on the road.

JP. SIMCA MAN
    1972Ren, driven and Breitie like this.

1000+ Posts

I have had experience with, including maintenance and repair, of modern French and Hyundai cars. Both are much of a muchness to own and run, and both have very dear dealer parts, if you really must use dealers.

The AL4 shows up in twenty-first century 4 cylinder Pugs and Cits with 4 speed autos until recently, when 6 speed Japanese Aisin auto boxes are now fitted. The 2.0 diesels don't use this box.

The EP6 engine was first used in the Peugeot 207, and can be found in Pugs (eg 208, 308) and Cits (eg C4, DS3) from then. The high performance EP6DT turbo version in the up-spec cars was the chain devourer, and most were fixed with a revised chain and water pump under warranty. A dealer VIN check will tell if any given car is left to be done. Current cars have revised versions.

The 3 cylinder engine in current small Pugs and Cits is a different beast.

Gunbower, bet she would love a Jeep Wrangler, just ask her.

Fellow Frogger

No idea of the budget, but presuming used under $10K and French, perhaps consider a C4 2.0HDi 6 speed auto. This is DW10B (RHR in VIN) engine mated to the Aisin 6 speed auto (AM6 aka TF80SC and used by many others). Pug use the same engine/gearbox in a few models and you will also find it in C5, 407, Picasso and Ford Mondeo. For me, the pick of the old C4 range and most were very well specified compared to the less expensive models. There are a couple of common potential issues with the engine (EGR valve and turbo vacuum piping - minor) and the gearbox can develop a slip on the 2>3 upchange among other issues (a valve body often fixes - there is a thread on this somewhere.).
    alhantos likes this.

No thanks "Driven", she need something more economical........so I can afford the petrol

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Thread Information