Time for a new car ... - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Time for a new car ...

We just hit the 50 consecutive used car yards!

Advertisement
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

virtually all of them will be more reliable than anything French
    Not my experience. French cars aren't more expensive to maintain than Japanese, Holden and local Ford particularly if you source parts from independents.

The Holden/Ford/Toyota argument only holds if you need familiarity from outback mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by neil s View Post
    Don't completely discount Commodores. I n country driving you will get way under 10 l/100km. They aren't really all that big. Reliable and parts everywhere. Also don't discount Camry/ Aurion. Heaps of them around, go forever and cheap to maintain and service. Just don't go for one of the lower spec ones - go for the upmarket ones to get all of the safety gear, luxuries etc.The problem with a $10 k budget is that there is just so much choice and virtually all of them will be more reliable than anything French. Happy hunting!
    I don't know where you get your reliability figures from but my last two French cars bought new have between them lasted 19 years, both without any kind of problems. They don't bring much as a trade-in and they don't cost much second hand, but as a "new" purchase for someone on a budget I reckon they are right up there!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller View Post
    Time for a change and have a sentimental desire to own a french vehicle again.
    Approximately $10k to spend.
    4 cylinder ok these day, petrol or diesel? Live in smallish rural town, 160kms trips to Adelaide, maybe cruise the country for a month or three, camping holidays, ocassional dirt road travel, hatch? ...
    Need some luxury these day; auto, cruise etc ...
    Concerned by ongoing references to scheduled servicing, cam belts, ongoing costs etc?

What car should I buy froggers?
    thanks in advance ...

ed
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RENAULT-...kAAOSw4NVbarF2

French .......Check
    under $10k.......Check
    4cyl.......Check
    camping/dirt road....no worries
    Luxury...enough
    Service....Minimal and cheapish

JBN

I don't recommend what others should drive. Long ago (1984) when I bought my first Citroen, I worked on the fact that 95% of the motoring public HATE Citroen. Not being a Citroen shareholder, I was happy to see that the obsessive hatred Aussies have for Citroen and to a much lesser degree Peugeot and Renault meant that a used Citroen was pocket money. My first Citroen also introduced me to Continental Cars who have been in business over 60 years, even though now as one of Australia's most experienced Citroen garage, they are not allied with inchcape.

Anyhow, the CX bought in 1984 for $7,500 lasted until 1992 when I placed it on the market for $7,500. Unfortunately, the car was totalled when a clown decided to turn into a petrol station from the middle lane at peak hour, without checking if the left lane was clear. It wasn't so I had to settled for a $9,500 insurance payout.

Our Xantia was bought in 2009 for $2000 (after reading about its early history on Aussie Frogs) with 100K on the clock. It has just passed 200K. I love it. Big hatch, hydraulic suspension, handles well and owes me nothing. The locks don't work by key. The central locking has died but it lives quite happily parked on the side of the road unlocked. Most Australians think Citroen have a form of leprosy.

Buy what everyone else is buying and you will pay a premium for being one of the mob.

Buy what the unadventurous are scared of and you may snag a really nice car for a very low price. Most of the Citroens on your radar are Peugeots underneath but the double chevron sign means you get a double discount.

John
    CEyssens likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

life is to short to drive boring shitboxes.... Why not find a megane 225 .... or renault sport of some description. They are very P plater unfriendly .... so likely quite cheap.

I can't think of a modern poogoe/Citroen I'd want in my yard sadly (unless someone has a C6 for me ............. Please ??? ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

distance from me is the problem with that one, otherwise I'd say yes ...

amoungst other ironies, the property hasn't sold yet(despite a contract having been written) and the falcon has shit itself so I currently have no transport at all, which sucks 'cos I can hardly walk ...

distance from me is the problem with that one, otherwise I'd say yes ...

amoungst other ironies, the property hasn't sold yet(despite a contract having been written) and the falcon has shit itself so I currently have no transport at all, which sucks 'cos I can hardly walk ...
    I know the feeling ... some drunk women wiped out my shitbox rangie (it in the process of being fixed), I can't drive the blue ID19 as I dislocated my wrist two weeks ago so I can't turn the steering wheel. I dragged the CX out and its blown a rear sphere .... and sheered one of the rear anti-rollbar bolts (so is weird to drive).... and I tried the ugly pink car and its coil has died.

Leaving me with bugger all to drive

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Speaking of the Magna. One of the most enjoyable cars I have driven was the All Wheel Drive Magna, not many around but if you could find a low mileage example, that would be the car to have and you will still have $ in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    life is to short to drive boring shitboxes.... Why not find a megane 225 .... or renault sport of some description. They are very P plater unfriendly .... so likely quite cheap.

I can't think of a modern poogoe/Citroen I'd want in my yard sadly (unless someone has a C6 for me ............. Please ??? ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Maybe I'm an optimist, but I don't need a 225 to have fun.
    In fact driving a sports car like a 225 speed limit slow is way less fun than driving a dyhatsu delta as fast as it will go!!

I'll say one thing though, I try not to spend too long looking at what I've spent on a car's repairs and maintenance, but when I did my tax and saw what I spent on the Megane 225, it was pretty outrageous.
    Timing belt major service, disk rotors, tyres,wiper blades, head light globes etc etc etc.... not to mention the time pulling the dash parts out and de-sticky-ing them.....Wow, not a cheap car at all. Then there is the fuel consumed.
    The diesel Koleos is not especially cheap to service either for that matter, but no where near the cost of running the 225.
    At least the Koleos can fit a shit load of stuff inside it, and failing that, has a tow bar.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Maybe I'm an optimist, but I don't need a 225 to have fun.
    In fact driving a sports car like a 225 speed limit slow is way less fun than driving a dyhatsu delta as fast as it will go!!

I'll say one thing though, I try not to spend too long looking at what I've spent on a car's repairs and maintenance, but when I did my tax and saw what I spent on the Megane 225, it was pretty outrageous.
    Timing belt major service, disk rotors, tyres,wiper blades, head light globes etc etc etc.... not to mention the time pulling the dash parts out and de-sticky-ing them.....Wow, not a cheap car at all. Then there is the fuel consumed.
    The diesel Koleos is not especially cheap to service either for that matter, but no where near the cost of running the 225.
    At least the Koleos can fit a shit load of stuff inside it, and failing that, has a tow bar.

Jo
    You will probably find a major service on almost any modern car is a similar amount to the megane .............................
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    You will probably find a major service on almost any modern car is a similar amount to the megane .............................
    Yes, but you'll probably find a major service due just after someone sells the Megan 225 in your price range!!

Point is, $10k would possibly not be enough.

Jo

have been worried for you of late DC, hope things turn for the better soon and that your wife and kids are well and happy

michael

drove magnas as taxis for 5 years, 4 cylinder wagon(lpg) and 6 cylinder luxo, both excellent drives ...
    definitely on the list ...

ed

I'd recommend against a Magna, but if you do, you have to pick your model. My 2000 Magna v6 shat its gearbox and this is quite common. There is no spin-on transmission oil filter as they did away with it the year before that. And there is a wave spring that disintegrates and spreads pieces throughout the box, which would not happen if there was a filter.
    My secondhand replacement was from the year previous.

But there is also another well-known problem : the valve stem seals either crack or stiffen up just after the 100.000 km mark.
    I bought mine at 118,000 Ks and it used a litre of oil every second tank. I fixed all leaks and it still did it.

have been worried for you of late DC, hope things turn for the better soon and that your wife and kids are well and happy

michael
    Me, I have a blessed existence .... I'm just a clutz People have even stopped trying to wipe me out everytime I drive a car over the last two weeks. Its bizarre, but I think the CX must look intimidating, so people don't tend to do stupid things infront of it. Every time I'd driven the old ID19 lately, someone has tried to wipe it out and its taken some very aggressive "crash avoidance" actions to avoid accidents (eg: driving up onto traffic islands ... into bike lanes.... off into paddocks etc).

It sure is an eye opener that such a tiny injury makes everything so difficult.

how is this for an impressive bruise. My hand was yellow for about a week Hopefully in another couple of weeks it'll be just like a new one again

It's frustrating the hell out of me, I'm trying to paint the shitbox range rover, but can't even readily peel masking tape off a roll until now.

seeya
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time for a new car ...-arm2.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Yes, but you'll probably find a major service due just after someone sells the Megan 225 in your price range!!

Point is, $10k would possibly not be enough.

Jo
    I know, I personally wouldn't mind having to do the major service if the car was cheap enough. That way I know its actually been done ... Plus, I will get my moneys worth out of that sucker.

Its weird isn't it.... The CX turbo has put me off of fast cars too. Its not even a fast car compared to the modern stuff. But the limits and speed pototential is so extreme. You can't have fun like you do in something like a 2cv/GS/Fuego.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I'd be getting this baby https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-16264415

With the change from your budget you could paint the wheels, or lower it... or or or

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information