Time for a new car ... - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Results 26 to 50 of 54
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Time for a new car ...

  1. #26
    1000+ Posts edgedweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CLARE SA
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Looks good Haakon, will need to stand next to one to get a feel for size, could go the extra dollars especially for low kilometer vehicle and this is where my concern about scheduled cam/timing belt change/cost comes in ... mostly from glancing at posts on AF

    and what's with all the frippery in modern cars*? looks like you need a separate licence to drive the dash board.
    and like to ensure you're hard to see at dusk and dawn? - buy a silver or black car

    * special ongoing soundtrack telling you what a handsome, articulate, guy you are and A GREAT DRIVER BESIDES!

    Graham, was driving an ok 73ti but found I was losing ability to drive it to high levels of coordination, alas.
    finding modern cars(even 2001 model) much more finely tuned and flexible, power steering, abs, auto trans, cruise, stability etc ...

    not sure I'm an SUV sorta guy ...

    i30 is on list

    all makes for interesting contemplation

    Advertisement


    pro's - con's diesel - petrol? please


    ed

  2. #27
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    MANDURAH WA
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Buy yourself a low mileage Hyundai Sonata or possibly an i45. The 4 cylinder Sonata with about 80,000 on the clock would cost you around $6,000 and the service and parts costs are most reasonable, best of all the cars are reliable.
    robmac likes this.

  3. #28
    1000+ Posts Haakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    canberra...
    Posts
    8,592

    Default Time for a new car ...

    Considered a British classic? Nice reliable Chev power.

    https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-5492809


    Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Last edited by Haakon; 5th August 2018 at 08:29 PM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

  4. #29
    1000+ Posts Haakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    canberra...
    Posts
    8,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panhard View Post
    Buy yourself a low mileage Hyundai Sonata or possibly an i45. The 4 cylinder Sonata with about 80,000 on the clock would cost you around $6,000 and the service and parts costs are most reasonable, best of all the cars are reliable.
    I like these;

    https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...AG-AD-16028691

    Had one as a rental in Florida a few years ago, quite enjoyed it. Pretty big though.


    Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

  5. #30
    1000+ Posts Haakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    canberra...
    Posts
    8,592

    Default

    Hold the press - I think I have it.

    https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...AG-AD-16156910


    These didnít sell too well and are probably a bit of an orphan. But itís a Hyundai so parts are no problem.

    These are good. Theyíre a bit wallowly due to soft springs for the US market, but itís got proper double wishbones at all corners. A solid Mitsubishi derived V6 and a lot of luxo stuff. Decent safety and 5 grand for a car with F all kms on it has to be a bargain.

    I like odd things not many other people like


    Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

  6. #31
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    .................I like odd things not many other people like
    This would explain many things, but more especially riding a bike around Canberra in minus 8 degrees...................
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  7. #32
    1000+ Posts dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    4,470

    Default

    Berlingo...

    Done...


    cheers



    dino

  8. #33
    1000+ Posts Haakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    canberra...
    Posts
    8,592

    Default

    Manual only. Kangoo is good, but a budget stretch and has the dreaded DPO/AL4 auto...

    https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...AG-AD-15559671


    Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

  9. #34
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    17,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Berlingo...

    Done...


    cheers



    dino
    Budget for a replacement trans -either sooner or later, not if but when.

    Good luck getting a replacement in the middle of the bush.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  10. #35
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Faulconbridge
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Recent purchase of c42litre turbo diesel;so impressed got another one for SWMBO. 6speed auto flies and use no juice;$75 Brisbane to Sydney;why would you get anything else.

  11. #36
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    17,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    Recent purchase of c42litre turbo diesel;so impressed got another one for SWMBO. 6speed auto flies and use no juice;$75 Brisbane to Sydney;why would you get anything else.
    Budget $10K , ease of repair and ready supply parts and skills in country Australia ?

    I'm not sure ,in my hearts of hearts, Citroen Australia has dealers fully sorted in major Cities.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  12. #37
    1000+ Posts edgedweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CLARE SA
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    gave a moments contemplation to this;
    https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...-review-118344
    but I'm not much of a yank fan
    don't do RR and don't do black
    thanks for your efforts Haakon
    not getting out of the house much but must food shop tomorrow so will walk the car park and see if I like the look of anything inc. i30 & or i45

    ed

  13. #38
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    17,851

    Default

    http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...-review-118344


    You would want one on LPG.

    On petrol the older models usually gain on the pump.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious


  14. #39
    1000+ Posts Beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,732

    Default

    I reckon Hyundai is the way to go.

    Edge, because of where you are and where you're going to use it, the bottom line is always going to be both reliability and availability of parts....both new and secondhand. Hyundai fits that bill.

  15. #40
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    15,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Budget $10K , ease of repair and ready supply parts and skills in country Australia ?

    I'm not sure ,in my hearts of hearts, Citroen Australia has dealers fully sorted in major Cities.
    For a C4 2.0HDI ....I doubt it, they are just a 6spd manual or 6spd slugomatic. You wouldnt' buy the EGS or 4spd autos. There biggest issue is they forgot to put suspension under them.

    seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  16. #41
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    15,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller View Post
    gave a moments contemplation to this;
    https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...-review-118344
    but I'm not much of a yank fan
    don't do RR and don't do black
    thanks for your efforts Haakon
    not getting out of the house much but must food shop tomorrow so will walk the car park and see if I like the look of anything inc. i30 & or i45

    ed
    If you get a jeeep ... why not a v8 petrol.... make it a couple of years old. They will be cheap as the fuel economy is absolutely horendous ..... ludicrous .... horific. You will save tens of thousands over any other car though. That many thousands buys a shitload of petrol (it will still hurt everytime you fill it though).

    If your going to be travelling, forget LPG. If you only ever go the same places .... and know there is cheaper gas available ...> GO FOR IT eg: I know I can always get LPG in my area for 65.9C/L (or cheaper). Running the V8 Range Rover cost wise is similar to running a Citroen CX/Falcon/Commadore cost wise. The Range Rover might use a low 20's ( as in 20->25L/100km ) around town. But the falcon/commodore/CX will probably use 10->12L/100. So your cost is the same, but you use twice as much.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  17. #42
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,679

    Default

    We have a manual C4 B7 in the family. It has steel springs. The only car I ever am in with a better ride is a hydraulic Cit. They didn't forget the suspension.

  18. #43
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    15,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    We have a manual C4 B7 in the family. It has steel springs. The only car I ever am in with a better ride is a hydraulic Cit. They didn't forget the suspension.
    I owned one when they were almost new ... the suspension under it was truly awful. The tyre noise at speed could be huge. But it was quite ok for a modern piece of crap.... Ours was a 1.6HDi EGS.

    Do you generally only drive empty dump trucks

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  19. #44
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Faulconbridge
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Beg to differ Shane;the 2litre 6speed turbo diesel flies;comes with everything. The only improvement would be hydraulics,Andy.

  20. #45
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    15,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    Beg to differ Shane;the 2litre 6speed turbo diesel flies;comes with everything. The only improvement would be hydraulics,Andy.
    Thats exactly what I said ... the car is good and you shouldn't have any problems ............. They just forgot to put suspension under it!

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  21. #46
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,679

    Default

    Shane, I have driven my share of trucks. Was your C4 a B7? The suspension was as good as I have come across for a spring supported hatchback from any make, and miles in front of everything from the other side of the Rhine. A hydraulic C5 is better, but that is a bigger car.

    If you had owned a DS3 DSport I would understand where you come from. That has sports car pretensions and is very hard.

  22. #47
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    15,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Shane, I have driven my share of trucks. Was your C4 a B7? The suspension was as good as I have come across for a spring supported hatchback from any make, and miles in front of everything from the other side of the Rhine. A hydraulic C5 is better, but that is a bigger car.

    If you had owned a DS3 DSport I would understand where you come from. That has sports car pretensions and is very hard.
    Well I've owned/driven GS's, 2cvs, Tractions ..... the C4 suspension is crap compared to them all .... Well that is just my opinion either way Infact, its crap compared to normal cars too ... I've had renault 4's, renault 12s, renault 16s ..... all vastly light years better than a C4 ... Is anything not better than a C4 (oh, I drove a 307 once .... bloody hidious ... I'm sure they welded the axles straight to its body)
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  23. #48
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Well I've owned/driven GS's, 2cvs, Tractions ..... the C4 suspension is crap compared to them all .... Well that is just my opinion either way Infact, its crap compared to normal cars too ... I've had renault 4's, renault 12s, renault 16s ..... all vastly light years better than a C4 ... Is anything not better than a C4 (oh, I drove a 307 once .... bloody hidious ... I'm sure they welded the axles straight to its body)
    Don't completely discount Commodores. I n country driving you will get way under 10 l/100km. They aren't really all that big. Reliable and parts everywhere. Also don't discount Camry/ Aurion. Heaps of them around, go forever and cheap to maintain and service. Just don't go for one of the lower spec ones - go for the upmarket ones to get all of the safety gear, luxuries etc.The problem with a $10 k budget is that there is just so much choice and virtually all of them will be more reliable than anything French. Happy hunting!

  24. #49
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,877

    Default

    Rewind back to post # 24........
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  25. #50
    1000+ Posts schlitzaugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    loneliness capital of the world
    Posts
    8,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neil s View Post
    Don't completely discount Commodores. I n country driving you will get way under 10 l/100km. They aren't really all that big. Reliable and parts everywhere. Also don't discount Camry/ Aurion. Heaps of them around, go forever and cheap to maintain and service. Just don't go for one of the lower spec ones - go for the upmarket ones to get all of the safety gear, luxuries etc.The problem with a $10 k budget is that there is just so much choice and virtually all of them will be more reliable than anything French. Happy hunting!

    Actually, the 2000 Camry would be the only car I would suggest you avoid. It is the most uncomfortable car I have ever been in and driven. Nothing to do with suspension, but the seats are unimaginably uncomfortable front or rear.

    And it has the turning circle of an aircraft carrier.

    Toyota must have outsourced the design to some endangered species of monkey.

    I never bothered with any Camry after that, so not sure if it's pertinent today, but I would suggest you look at it very closely if you want one.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

    Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •