205 bonnet / hood release cable
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 bonnet / hood release cable

Hello people , i,m in Spain
    Can someone tell me the length of a 205 release cable for the bonnet / hood please. And if poss post a piccy, i,m trying to get the right one and am not sure whats going on with the original , my car seems to have one too long , it might be from another car .
    Any help appreciated
    Thanks

Advertisement

Too long shouldn't be a problem. It can be cut to length.

But what is too long? I take it it is too long for its sheath? Otherwise, it doesn't matter how long it is (as long as it's not too short to reach) if it protrudes enough from its sheath. If not, you can cut the sheath to give you more exposed cable.

In any case, you can buy a normal bicycle cable of the right length and use that, sheath and all.

This is assuming your car has a cable catch at the bonnet end with a screw (as is the setup on my car) so it doesn't rely on the cable having a plumbed disc or some such.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

From the pull lever sheath to the cable end it is 1.7 mts long and under the slam plate there is a crimped on steel dog leg that jiggles into the release latch. The shop replacements had no dog leg just bare cable. Looks like it might be a fudge job , the other thing is where the release latch fits to the side of the plastic foot protection panel near the fuse box there is one long bolt only securing it and the other end there is a plastic stub that fits into the kick panel , the ones in the shop have no stud so i dont know whats happening there !!!, looks like it might be the breakers yard for a cheaper alternative

Ha. You have breakers with Peugeots! Well, can't beat that.

But the replacement cable you found in the shop sounds right. Mine doesn't have anything on the end at the bonnet end either, it goes through a hole in the side of an extended blind nut riveted to a metal tab and you simply clamp it with a bolt through the nut.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

send us a foto if you can , sounds like another possible fudge by someone , what about the kicker panel fitting inside the car .
    Yes there are breakers here with 205s in and 205s running around some in almost mint condition , and even 60s and 70s peugeots, seats, fiats all running its a bit like a time warp not like England where they cant wait to make your car illegal after 10 years with some cooked up law and sell people a computer car that costs load to fix its a BS world now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Rant over.

Don't have a picture, but here's one off the 'net.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/...Lock-catch.jpg

See the nut at the bottom left? That nut has a hole across (which you can't see) where you stick the end of the cable and then clamp it with a bolt through the hole facing you.

Mine is exactly the same, so I doubt it is a bodge. The system on my parts car is the same as well. The cable might have been replaced or the piece of metal might have come off the end, but that's not really needed.

Yes it looks the same except for the nut , mine has no nut at all just a hole about 2- 3 mm dia where the dog leg jiggles into. Oh well looks like another odd ball , maybe another peugeot or another year .
    Well thanks for your help , at least i know most of it is correct. Looks like a bit more fact finding work on the web again !.

Thanks again

That nut is not riveted as I said before, but it has a cylindrical end that protrudes through the hole and it is secured with a small c clip. This is because it needs to pivot in the hole. Maybe someone lost yours in the past.

Or maybe yours never had the nut and the dogleg is enough to keep the cable attached. Peugeot must have saved a fortune by deleting the nut. That would make it really critical for you to get the cable length right. Or give you a reason to "upgrade" to the setup in the picture.

Sounds like an improvement is due . I dont fancy hunting for a rare part , i,m going to have to come up with a solution , mod what ive got with something or go for the style you have , it will make a whole lot easier being non critical .
    Answer: = breakers yard first.

Thread Information