• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 27of85
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 1 Post By CEyssens
  • 1 Post By CEyssens
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson

Thread: How do you sell your used auto parts?

Default How do you sell your used auto parts?

Hi guys,
    I have a question that is relevant to any car user I guess, but also fairly specifically for the car enthusiasts which reside on this forum, and similar forums across the country.
    I know that the classified section is well used and there is ebay and gumtree, but would you consider putting up your item/s for sale on a marketplace that is specific to car parts? You would be able to properly classify the parts, etc. think carsales.com.au but for parts.
    Would you do it if it were free and would you do it if one had to pay a small fee for each sale?
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Vlad

Advertisement

Aussie Frogs Flog is great for all things French

Other marques do the same thing as well.

agree. and I have bought/sold a bunch of items there myself

But we are talking about a much broader, but at the same time well classified, marketplace for secondhand car parts, with items most likely sold by car nuts like ourselves to similar car nuts. So instead of looking at 5 different forums, one would go to a single spot and look there.

I like the sound of it, but isn’t it already served by eBay, gumtree and Facebook marketplace?
    KB

it is... in a way, just not done right. you'd be competing with them for sure. but think of carsales vs ebay for a purchase of a car. looking for a car on ebay is a royal pain because you are actually searching and trying to guess the description used by the seller (it's up to him/her to even spell everything correctly). whilst on carsales you simply select the marque, the model and whatever other narrow classification parameters there might be and you get your results. I've not come across a lot of wrongly classified cars there... ebay though is a different story.
    When it comes to parts, ebay is a complete mumbo jumbo

1000+ Posts

Don't forget that there is already a monthly magazine available at news agents etc it is called Just Parts.
    Vlad likes this.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Do you know if one needs to pay to have parts listed in just parts?

A phone call should clarify this, but my guess is yes. Otherwise how would they pay for the magazine?

The reason most websites are a pain is because building a database (which they are) is complicated and how good the database is reflects how well it has been built which reflects how much they were willing to spend on programmers. I imagine this must cost some serious money and I am not sure how you'd recover costs if you didn't pay (like carsales) for ads. Free websites I found are the worst, probably starting with gumtree where they went for ads that take almost the entire first page of your search if not all of it and then searches return at best very approximate results.

I guess if you tried to start a similar website you would run into the same problems.
    Vlad likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

There are some options out there

https://www.facebook.com/buysellcarparts/

Buysellcarparts.com.au

And many marque specific pages out there but eBay and gumtree have such a greater audience.
    Vlad likes this.

Have never seen that buysellcarparts.com.au website. Looks interesting. It's along the way of how I'd see something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Have never seen that buysellcarparts.com.au website. Looks interesting. It's along the way of how I'd see something like that.
    I havenít used it yet but I did notice it.
    Facebook marketplace is also buzzing away but I find it a bit dodgy/risky.
    Vlad likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    . Free websites I found are the worst, probably starting with gumtree where they went for ads that take almost the entire first page of your search if not all of it and then searches return at best very approximate results.
    Hi, for what it is worth, my experience recently with selling a couple of cars, is that Gumtree was much more effective that Carsales.com, and free.

Regards,
    Andy.

1000+ Posts

Default Hmm

Hi
    I have resisted this thread but today I weakened. Cold and wet out side so good to sit on the heater and waste some time on the 'puter.
    In the years recently gone past, I have 'wrecked' three cars for my kids ! I deemed them worth more for parts than any other way of recouping some money. I used Gumtree mostly and the Local Trading Post paper. Indeed as one car was a VW Caravelle I sold parts locally and also as far away as WA and SA. They were prepared to pay postage costs for heavy bits. I jibbed at posting the seats !

The advantage of Gumtree is you can spell out where you are and your terms, so there is no discussion about that, mostly. However people searching with their phones never, usually read the full add and ask questions that are answered on the add. I always put full descriptions and the full 10 photos.

Happy to say, I recouped more than expected for the parts and eventually sold the bodies too, one for a crash repair, one for rebuilding it, one to scrap ?

I have never had any luck selling parts or cars on AFs. After some time on here I have sold 2 going French cars on Gumtree for more money and the parts languished forever, mostly, until thrown in the scrap ????? So that is my experience
    Jaahn
    PS when I sold my previous motor home for a largish amount, i used several free sites and also some paid sites and displayed it around the streets etc. But in the end sold it to a passer-by who saw it on the roadside near my daughters place with the signs on it and liked it ! They were not even looking then. They upgraded their licences to drive it away. So much for the paid and unpaid sites effectiveness You only need one buyer, the right one ! All the other were just tire kickers !
    Last edited by jaahn; 18th June 2018 at 01:43 PM.

You only need one buyer, the right one
    Ideally you need two potential buyers if wish to achieve the very best price.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Ideally you need two potential buyers if wish to achieve the very best price.
    Hi Rob
    Yes but with the Motor Home the buyer offered the advertised price and did not haggle.
    Jaahn
    Roger Wilkinson likes this.

With an auction you usually receive only the second-best price plus one bid.

Roger
    jaahn likes this.

DidierAubin87

It sounds reasonable to put up your items on online market, or you can join Facebook groups where sell car parts, I think you will sell them completely soon.

Thread Information