The Diesel fuel question...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Diesel fuel question...

Default The Diesel fuel question...

Hi People

I can't see if this has been asked before so - what I've been wondering if there are actually different grades of diesel in Australia (in much the same style as petrol). For example BP Ultimate petrol is a higher octane petrol but does that mean Ultimate Diesel is different to the diesel across the road?

Advertisement

Or is this just a marketing ploy?

I know we love to fret over our cars so maybe there has been some discussion about this?

Cheer Tony

1000+ Posts

This topic keeps coming up. Commonwealth law prescribes the content of diesl fuel sold in Australia. All brands comply. It is much the same as in the EU, so our French diesels are designed for it.

So companies add some magic ingredients rarely specified, and charge more for a "premium" blend. No engine maker endorses it.

An exception is winter fuel sold in alpine areas only in winter to prevent cold weather waxing. For this you refuel locally.

The 'premium' diesel alternatives are a rort. They add cleaning compounds to the fuel, displacing some of the calorific value of the fuel. For the extra money you pay, you will get less mileage and less power from a 'premium' diesel alternative. All for the sake of removing build ups of 'dirt', which, after dismantling many diesel system components, I've not yet come across.

You pay more for it, and use more of it.

Replace your filters regularly and use the standard diesel (often sold as Truck Diesel).
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

UFO

I used BP "premium" for a few tanks and noticed no benefit. These days I know of a place on my daily journey home that is a short detour. This week I saved something like 13 cents per litre over the branded providers. The cars (C4 and C5) still deliver the same consumption levels. The place I go to had a major overhaul early this year. New inground tanks, diesel at every one of their bowsers etc. Makes my day easier.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Hugely expensive common rail diesels are fitted to heavy lorries and buses and do very large mileages. Professionals superintend their maintenance with detailed cost records. Have you ever seen one filled from a premium bowser?

It's marketing magic to the gullible. The cleanliness and water-free state of the underground tank are more important.
    jaahn and UFO like this.

Thanks guys, it's just as I thought. But it's always good to check base here!

Cheers!

UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I used BP "premium" for a few tanks and noticed no benefit.
    As indicated in the following article, the benefit will not be in terms of performance, as the premium product has the same Cetane ratings as standard diesel IS PREMIUM DIESEL WORTH IT? - Unsealed 4X4 . The difference is in additives to clean injectors, reduced corrosion and reduce foaming. If we predominantly use our cars on long trips (like trucks) then I suppose the advantages are negated.

I usually find that Caltex premium diesel (Vortex) at Woolworths to be the same price (or cheaper) than standard diesel at our local Shell or BP

1000+ Posts

Icon9 The High Diesel Pricing at present in Melbourne (among other things)!

As a long time observer of fuel marketing here in Australia, there is a recent and disturbing trend in the push by Shell to ever higher Diesel prices, currently they have 161.9 per litre for diesel.

Overseas of course the retail markets responded quickly to reports that Russia and the Arab oil conglomerates were removing their artificial (Cartel) restrictions on supply, so the retail markets over there responded by a lowering of fuel prices across the board.

Not so in Australia, they soared higher. with Diesel which used to be set 12 cents a litre lower than the ULP price (though more recently approximately the same as the ULP base price) due to its lesser cost to refine to fuel standards. Now leads the pack , Ear to the ground rumours indicate that motorists are being conditioned to much higher prices and that the excuse is a radical environmental virtue signalling exercise on emissions and backed by pious appeals to flawed health studies that are being floated overseas.

I this scenario motorists will be re-educated to change their travelling and fuel buying habits as Australia "Transitions" to a low carbon economy and buys mainly European sourced bread and butter level electric vehicles that are on the planning board and we are thus forced to move from fossil fuelled vehicles or pay the price. The fuel companies therefore can be virtuous citizens in aiding whatever government is elected as they (Labor and Liberal) have all signalled that they will fall in with whatever Paris dictates and our local fuel retail giants are aiding that upward progress of fuel pricing to kick start the mentality trend underpinning the transition.

Only the wealthy or elite will be able to purchase high priced fuels or initially buy the virtue signalling electric vehicles like the rich mans Tesla. Of course what is not mentioned, is that Mr and Mrs average Australian who have just purchased a fossil fuelled vehicle will cop the brunt of this connivance and the fossil fuel purveyors who don't have a good track record of low or competitive pricing will have carte blanc nod and wink from all major parties and of course endorsed by the Greens, to make huge rip off profits.

The same industry sources reckon it will take years for this to play out, with eventually subsidies to transport companies that can only use diesel fleets to deliver stock and consumer items, and that lot of subsidies will be supported by carbon exchange indulgence market between operators and that the government hopes to put a thumb on the scale to cause lower priced electric vehicle availability in the short term with government purchasing contracts, and then quick turnover of these tax free vehicles into the urban market place at a price that middle class and business owners can actually purchase.

The plebs and poor will have to rely on the dribble down or trickle down economy to eventually be allowed access to those cheaper alternatives, but in the meantime increased local gas production will be boosted and a low level subsidised (carbon indulgence?) allowance will price maintain and cut the present shortage and high pricing for gas converted cars. There is a suggestion that this will also boost certain sections i.e. gas conversion, short term employment over the phase in periods, helping highly unionised local employment.

Of course all this could be just furphies, but there are some disturbing signs that certain of the major oil companies are maintaining a high price push and likely higher as the ACCC shows no signs of reigning that in for the immediate benefit of motorist consumers.

Well I have tried my best to shift my local purchases to those that give the best prices in the hope that volume sales to the lowest price outlets will cut into the worse profiteers bottom line of sales.

This week I probably paid the highest per tank fill with Diesel but compared with the 161.9 per litre of Shell the 145.9 per litre I paid was shocking but.!!! This same outlet had 152.9 for ULP 91 and 172.9 for premium 98 and the LPG price was 69.9. Now compare that with your local Shell

(though to be fair to shell in some of the country towns they are close to parity with the lower prices I have seen or they would have been out of business, and many are still owner traders, so sensitive to pricing, but you have to watch movement between the different offerings, ULP, Premium 95, and 98 octane)

Yep the present upward trend seems to have all the hallmarks of convenient political collusion.

I would love to hear reports on local fuel pricing in locations where a series of By Elections are to be held as this might reveal who is helping who, and why, or just the effect of motorist pushback on politicians and the media who seem to be helping those picking our pockets

Ken enjoy your motoring while you can.

Default The Diesel fuel question...

There is a useful app called ďMotorMouthĒ that shows prices of all fuels in your area.

I find only one station reasonably nearby that is consistently cheaper for Premium diesel. Often 20c/pl less.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

1000+ Posts

Read the vague marking blurbs about premium diesel and wonder at the gullibility of motorists whose cars were designed and built to run on the normal stuff. There is no consumption or power gain. They don't need cleansers, and is foaming when filling a problem worth paying extra to reduce a little?
    UFO likes this.

As it happens, the cheapest diesel in my area (a good 8 - 10km radius) is sold at a smallish independent, and is "Premium Diesel."
    It was (more so in past months) up to 20c litre cheaper than many other outlets for any diesel fuel.
    Currently the margin has closed somewhat.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    As it happens, the cheapest diesel in my area (a good 8 - 10km radius) is sold at a smallish independent, and is "Premium Diesel."
    It was (more so in past months) up to 20c litre cheaper than many other outlets for any diesel fuel.
    Currently the margin has closed somewhat.
    Is the fuel "Premium" or was there a few spare stickers laying around that they slapped on the bowsers?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Is the fuel "Premium" or was there a few spare stickers laying around that they slapped on the bowsers?
    One of my local servos advertises "Premium Unleaded Diesel"
    Last edited by Armidillo; 6th June 2018 at 12:40 PM.

1000+ Posts

Mostly a perfume smell, I guess they will get into male and female preferred fragrances if market research indicates there is some advantage. The anti foaming is interesting as I do notice a lot of foaming and that may make a difference in the amount/volume delivered, but if all pumps are volume checked by weights and measures that should soon weed out inconsistent volumes. There is a quite a bit of anecdotal stories floating about suspicion of short litres delivered. If Government departments do their job that should result in prosecutions, though these days threats and pressure seem to be the way to go (Public shaming?) and promises then to rectify the problem without publicity. Just more testing please!

On the fuel apps, from the papers today the ACCC seems to think this is the only way motorists can win. Get the fuel app and pick the lowest competitive station near you (not so good to those who have to travel a long way to access the price) perhaps always carry a few 20 litre cans to maximize your lowest price as I did recently.

Most motorists are lazy, just want to fill up at their usual outlet, but a fuel app makes them feel in control. After years of watching the pea move under the thimbles of deception, you do really need to watch the whole spectrum of pricing, but then that should be the ACCC's role and it is easier for them to accuse the overseas cabal of oil producing states you know the ones that little "a" said were just good businessmen in shorting supply to boost prices.

But maybe using an "app" to pick the lows in the artificial industry run fuel cycle is the only way that poor motorists can be allowed to feel they are winning

Drive carefully.

1000+ Posts

The foaming occurs with agitation in the vehicle tank as it is filled, not in the bowser pump meter. Any reduction from "premium" is trivial.

1000+ Posts

Icon6 Cavitation does occur in pumps (foaming) moot point on accuracy + or minus 3%

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The foaming occurs with agitation in the vehicle tank as it is filled, not in the bowser pump meter. Any reduction from "premium" is trivial.
    I would in part agree seasink, however cavitation in fuel pumps does occur and in part the extent of the effect depends on the distance of the pump to the tank, preferable is the submersible pump. On the subject of cavitation one of the indicators is the noise factor in badly effected pumps. Just as an aside I have noticed some damn noisy hammering in fact, diesel pumps at some locations and how quiet some are at the newer fuel stations.

The bottom line of course is how often the pumps are checked for accuracy to the plus or minus 3% permissible error. I note in the Wiki historical outline they give a reason why few are prosecuted and most are dealt with by way of warnings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dispenser

https://www.flowcontrolnetwork.com/q...nosis-control/

(article re pump cavitation causing noisy pumps sign of problem with pump).

http://measurement.gov.au/Publicatio...el-and-LPG.pdf

The NMI guide to those selling or buying fuel.

Trust that adds to your knowledge.

Ken

1000+ Posts

Icon5 Wots on the Up and Up...?

Ah I see that police in Victoria after ignoring petrol theft, have now committed to trials of number plate recognition technology to catch the thieves that are driving off without paying.

That was greeted with some sarcasm in the papers today as some reckon the real thieves are those that are driving up fuel prices in Australia and Melbourne in particular. (Could that be oil companies, shock horror!!)

I did note today that one Shell Station had a more reasonable Diesel price in the 155 range today, but then that was almost 10 cents over the United Diesel price of $44.53 cents per litre. so I needed a fill, so guess what...

Fuel pricing is a shambles with many complaining about 24 cent jump in prices at the pump, and then the usual slow cent at a time return over a few weeks in the normal fuel company run con the motorist cycle.

I see some were reporting 98 RON sold in the high 170's cents - a litre and LPG in the high 80's. What is the highest price you have seen lately?

But wait till the carbon tax adjustment for the Paris sacrifice virtue signalling starts, some say that will be much worse and the pollies are starting to squirm!

Enjoy your motoring....while you can.. well the rich folks and work petrol card people, will be o.k.

Ken

well the rich folks a
    Isn't the State Super defined benefit scheme working for you?

With the guaranteed growth of your defined Super you should be better off than many.

I'd like to hear your definition on of "rich folks"
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

1000+ Posts

Default Could move North to Queensland where it might be warmer... Brrr.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Isn't the State Super defined benefit scheme working for you?

With the guaranteed growth of your defined Super you should be better off than many.

I'd like to hear your definition on of "rich folks"

Super spent on helping others, but I guess that doesn't count but facts are facts. Now Rich folks are those that can dodge carbon taxes and energy loadings that mean that some cannot keep warm as you run a three bar radiator on one bar only and huddle close so you don't freeze with all that global warming outside and inside the home. Equally Rich find no problem with filling a tank of fuel at any price, others the not rich just avoid travelling unless they absolutely have too. The real rich can afford to buy a Tesla car and virtue signal to all of us minions. a sort of economic selfie you might say.

Then there are the self funded retirees who still pay taxes, GST and more taxes while the economic ends still meet, but it is a battle also, you have to choose wisely, try and cutback on non essentials and if you are lucky you can manage to pay the ever increasing power bills on your two bar radiator. The worst part of course is that when you put your hand in your pocket to get a handkerchief, to dry your tears, you have to shove away a few of the fellow travellers that already have their hands in your pocket looking for local rates, state taxes and federal taxes. not to mention the begging letters from the needy for just $50 a month or so.

Then there are the lucky ones that occasionally win on the pokies, horses, or cards. I consider myself lucky too(after all I am still breathing) but the pollies are working on taxing that too coz Paris demands we cut back on exhaling C02, but at least for now they are not culling us like they intend culling Horses, Cattle and sheep to prevent them farting emissions of methane. Sad for the meat eaters as that culling when it starts will force up prices on already expensive meat.

Other than that it's a wonderful world Robmac.. Hopefully many of us will survive.....but then all our motor cars will be declared obsolete and need replacing with under powered micro peddlers - but I guess the Rich will get to drive V8's and limousines, with drivers and all.

Hope electricity doesn't get any dearer and some of us have to turn off our electric blankets, but then some will always be worse off this winter...

Regards
    Ken

Fellow Frogger!

HI,
    I see that one of those underpowered micro peddlers, which I guess is a reference to electric cars, just smashed the outright record at Pike's Peak. It beat the 5 year old record set by Sebastian Loeb, no less, in a purpose built monster petrol powered race car.

Regards,
    Andy
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Deregulate and be dammned if one cares it might work, break records on day!

Yep if you truly want electric cars, then deregulate so that backyarders can rip out fossil fuel motors and build their own conversion as each backyard "inventor" will become an instant expert justifying their stunning creation, even if it creates other offset pollution and emissions when properly evaluated end to end.

Ken.
    hypermiler likes this.

1000+ Posts

Ken, Aldi have a line of electric rugs at the moment. Mine was my best investment in years - I can't pick stocks - but I can keep warm all day and it is only 100W. No need to pull out the radiator.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Ken, Aldi have a line of electric rugs at the moment. Mine was my best investment in years - I can't pick stocks - but I can keep warm all day and it is only 100W. No need to pull out the radiator.
    The Diesel fuel question...-scrooge.jpg

"Layers" are considered the best way to keep warm.

And best of they are free!
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

"Layers" are considered the best way to keep warm.

It might work - they certainly generate some warmth - but could get messy. Also you'd need to trim their claws!

The Diesel fuel question...-hen.jpg
    jaahn likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information