Price for a 505 GTi
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon7 Price for a 505 GTi

Hi all,

I'm after the market value for private sale of a 1985 505 GTi with 286000km on the clock. It's an auto with power windows and looks to be in good condition. The body is straight and I couldn't see any rust. The inside looked to be in good condition. It's also got Yokohama 195/60R15 tyres on it and I'm assuming these aren't the dreaded metric rims.

I stopped around there today to see what the story was and whether they wanted to sell it but no one was home.

It has been sitting in someone's front yard here in Wodonga since Christmas last year and the rego ran out in April this year. There seems to be a fair bit of oil has leaked out onto the concrete under it, I didn't check to see where it was coming from.

It seems as if something has gone wrong with it and they haven't bothered to get it fixed either because it being a European car and they thought it too expensive to fix or a local mech has given them an exhorbitant quote. I don't know.

I left my phone number and an Aussiefrogs sticker on it which in hindsight I probably shouldn't have as they'll get on here and see how much support and how many parts are available for a French car!

So what would you think a fair price would be if it had nothing wrong with it and if it did have a problem like a blown motor or gearbox? I'll try and approach them again over the next few days and find out the story. I'll keep you posted. My 504 is starting to get a bit old and tired and it is getting near time for a new Pug!

Thanks,

Matt.

Advertisement
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Default Not worth a lot!

[QUOTE=Ralph]Hi all,

[font=Comic Sans MS]I'm after the market value for private sale of a 1985 505 GTi with 286000km on the clock. **** the rego ran out in April this year. There seems to be a fair bit of oil has leaked out onto the concrete under it, QUOTE]

Ralph, because lots of people are scared away from STI/GTIs they dont go for much. You hear of tidy registered roadwothy ones selling for < $2G s. Oil under the motor will usually be engine pressure build up which forces oil out past the seals everywhere. (I wish I knew how to fix it on ours!!). If the oil is auto fluid it could be the power steering leaking or g/box seals (not usually the pan gasket).
    These are nice cars when they are going - but they are several degrees harder to maintain & fix than a 504. Good example is having to drop/lower the front-end suspension when you have to replace the starter motor.
    Value if everything works - perhaps $500???
    So many projects - so little time.

nJm

Most of them with the kms around there have worn steering racks. If you can test drive it, the steering should be go-kart like. Really accurate on centre. A lot of GTi's I've driven in the past year have a lot of play on centre.

The 2.2L engine does make them far harder to maintain. Even the most simple tasks such as changing the HT leads can require removing large things out of the engine bay. Still, when they are running the extra power is certainly noticable over a standard 2L 504/505 around town. Once you rev them out though I don't think there is a whole lot in it.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

[QUOTE=604 tragic][: Good example is having to drop/lower the front-end suspension when you have to replace the starter motor.
    QUOTE]

Is that really the case? I was under the STi the other day and it looked a bit tricky, but had plenty of room around it
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

[QUOTE=Haakon]
    Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    [: Good example is having to drop/lower the front-end suspension when you have to replace the starter motor.
    QUOTE]

Is that really the case? I was under the STi the other day and it looked a bit tricky, but had plenty of room around it

yeah well that's pretty much it

they have a few things in the way and it makes it hard work to get to them

just like a 604, you have to frop the front sway bar down to get the alternator out, remove the oil filter to get the starter motor out, and drop the engine down around 2' to get the gearbox out

also you have to remove the top rad support and the bonnet catch rest to get the battery out

luckily headlight globes are easy to change as you just drop the headlight out but be wary of breaking the clips as they have been fragile now for the last 20 years or so

so many are held in by wire these days it's not funny but i have heard that you can still buy the clips new and replace them as they are only riveted in
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    just like a 604, you have to frop the front sway bar down to get the alternator out, remove the oil filter to get the starter motor out, and drop the engine down around 2' to get the gearbox out
    Geeze 2 feet that is a long way 2" is not so bad tho
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

What are the differences between the GTI & STI apart from the GTI had power windows all round???

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Geeze 2 feet that is a long way 2" is not so bad tho

ok typo lol
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    What are the differences between the GTI & STI apart from the GTI had power windows all round???

STI has different springs and the engine has k-jet injection (mechanical CIS system)

GTI has the electronic injection system on it

both are 2.2L and both come in auto and manual

it's mainly the injection system that is different
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Hi all,

I'm after the market value for private sale of a 1985 505 GTi ...So what would you think a fair price would be if it had nothing wrong with it and if it did have a problem like a blown motor or gearbox?
    This is actually the point of Ralph's post...
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Thanks Ben... perhaps you should look up the definition of the word forum.

So 'rambo was there a difference in the drive of the car with the mechanical and electronic injection?

(Dad had one when i was growing up so i have a soft spot for the 505)

Icon7

Thanks Ben, I think 604 tragic answered my question but I am still interested to hear other people's opinions on the price topic and why they think that way.

I don't mind if this thread gets off topic as so many seem to do on AF. I've learnt a bit about the 505 and why people do and don't like them. The more said about a prospective purchase the more one is prepared. My 504 is getting a bit long in the tooth and I am tossing up whether to spend the money on it or buy another Pug. I tend to lean towards the 505 as I see it as being an improvement on an already fine car. They also look quite stylish in their own way. I had a drive of a 505 STi a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed and plan to make my next Pug a 505.

The owners weren't home again this arvo so I'll have to leave it to the weekend to approach them. Are the rims the metric ones? Or is it the ones fitted with Michelins or Avons that are? Being an auto, what box and at what cost would a manual conversion be? Are there any other technical considerations involved in the gearbox conversion with regards to the Bosch injection system?

Real men drive manuals.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pugrambo, wouldn't that be 50.8mm?

Matt.

My dad sold his 505gti for $500, it was still running but in preety bad condition engine wise. It really was hard to maintain when compared to the GR,SR & Sti we had at the same time. Leaked non-stop. Great to drive, Dad still goes on about it.

If these people haven't a clue about the car & how to properly maintain it tell them you will take it off there hands & look after it for $500, spend alot of time & $$$$, she should be great.

To this day those blue gti seats are one of the best car seats i've ever sat in.

And auto sucks big time, most 505gti's i've seen are auto.

[font=Comic Sans MS]Are the rims the metric ones?
    I think you answered your own question here in your original post

It's also got Yokohama 195/60R15 tyres on it

Those tyres would not fit very well on the 390mm metric rims. GTi's came with 15" rims that looked the same as the 390mm TRX metric ones.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Icon7

I went and saw the owner today, she wasn't there but her boyfriend was. He said it had engine problems, he thinks a head gasket and she was quoted $2k to have it fixed. That seems a bit much to me! She had a starter motor replaced recently and that cost her about $650. She's keen to off load it apparently. I am going to see her Monday afternoon.

Any ideas on cost of replacement engines just in case the one in it is stuffed? Has anyone here got one? What's the go with replacing the auto with a 5 speed, what fits and what's involved?

Cheers,

Matt.

I went and saw the owner today, she wasn't there but her boyfriend was. He said it had engine problems, he thinks a head gasket and she was quoted $2k to have it fixed. That seems a bit much to me! She had a starter motor replaced recently and that cost her about $650. She's keen to off load it apparently. I am going to see her Monday afternoon.

Any ideas on cost of replacement engines just in case the one in it is stuffed? Has anyone here got one? What's the go with replacing the auto with a 5 speed, what fits and what's involved?

Cheers,

Matt.

well there is an STI engine sitting in a wrecking yard here in town which is basically the same engine and as far as i know it's a goer but it is still an auto so i can't help you out there

if you go through the for sales section you will find the 505 STI thread in there with phone number and so on if you feel inclined but it may be a bit of a treck from there to here and there may be an engine closer to you

as for changing it to manual you are going to need an STI/GTI bell housing and box to convert it over as they are different from the GR type housings and so forth
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Icon7

Well, I finally caught up with the girl that owns it today. It has overheated and caused some damage to the engine. She has had it for a bit over a year and it cost her $2500. She wants $1k for it which I think is too much. She is going to ring around the wreckers to see how much they'll give her, which will be nothing. She's going to get back to me.

If it has overheated, what sort of damage would have been done to the motor? She was quoted $2200 to have it repaired so there must be a fair bit of damage. Has any one got parts for this car?

Thanks,

Matt.

You have to ask to what extent it overheated...

Did she see the temp gauge up at Benalla and drive to Wodonga... or did she notice it was bubbling when she got home one day after driving from Albury?

It may very well have little wrong at all... but recall that I told you about that engine I can obtain...

Sounds like it could be a bargain - pick it up for something in the 3 figure range, rebuild the motor for ~$700 ($1000-1100 if you go for a liner psiton set) or get a good s/h for maybe half that and off you go

If the body and interior are good and you are able to rebuild/replace the motor, I say go for it.
    I dont find them that hard to work on either - it looks a bit cramped but its no big deal. Rebuilding these motors is easy and cheap, and if its only a head gasket you are laughing!
    Last edited by Haakon; 19th May 2004 at 05:54 PM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Nah,

it's not worth it... For the sort of $$$ and effort your talking you could go grab a BX19tri... It'd be a hell of a lot faster, corner hugely better, have a more usable hatchback, ride better, look better ....... Infact is there anything it won't do better

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

a suspect engine but good everything else she will be lucky to get $300 from a wrecker

walk up to her with 3-4 green coloured bills in your hand and offer to swap them for the car and if she rejects the swap then walk away and don't look back

she is kidding herself if she thinks she is going to get $1k for it as it is from a wrecker or a private sale

there is an STI here that has a sus box in it that the wrecker paid $300 for so use that if you like as a starting point with her
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Icon7

Shane,

Do I detect a bit of bias towards the Citroen?

Matt.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Shane,

Do I detect a bit of bias towards the Citroen?

Matt.
    Would you believe I'm not even really a BX fan... Normally I would say getcha self a CX, but there mine !!!! Getcha bloody hands off

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Before you commit, you should check and see if the dog likes it...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information