Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 2 Post By Armidillo

Thread: pre purchase vehicle inspections in victoria

Fellow Frogger!

Default pre purchase vehicle inspections in victoria

G'day all
    I'm looking at buying a vehicle to tow my caravan about and have noticed a couple of interest in victoria.
    Is there a company down there that will do prepurchase inspections and reports as i'm a bit far away to just call in and have a look?
    Cheers Peter

Advertisement
    LIFES TOO SHORT TO DRIVE BORING CARS!

Racv?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Kent View Post
    G'day all
    I'm looking at buying a vehicle to tow my caravan about and have noticed a couple of interest in victoria.
    Is there a company down there that will do prepurchase inspections and reports as i'm a bit far away to just call in and have a look?
    Cheers Peter
    Budget airfares are less the $100 each way. And Public transport isn't too expensive.

If I was spending substantial dollars on vehicle. I'd be tempted to check it out in person.
    hypermiler and StephineS like this.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

1000+ Posts

Grafton to Melbourne for that sum?

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Grafton to Melbourne for that sum?
    Public Transport was factored in to the equation.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.

Yes, but it’s also the time factor for a bus or train to a major centre to fly from in order to get the $100 fare and back - assuming he doesn’t buy it and drive back.

From memory Peter does some FIFO, so its probably a double-edged sword - gets a few days off in a row so could look at cars but that’s also the time he gets to spend with family.
    KB

1000+ Posts

22 hr train trip, if you can manage the connections, and dearer. No thanks. The city of Grafton isn't a suburb.

We’re not talking about catching a train Grafton to Melbourne seasink.
    KB

1000+ Posts

I was commenting on the $100 inspection trip idea. Trains, buses, or planes, it isn't feasible.
    cjl likes this.

As usual you've made your point. In you imitable "prickly" manner.

So. perhaps, it's best that I shut up in future.

Edit: I was intending to be of help without any self aggrandizement.
    Last edited by robmac; 28th May 2018 at 01:06 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Budget airfares are less the $100 each way. And Public transport isn't too expensive.

If I was spending substantial dollars on vehicle. I'd be tempted to check it out in person.

You've touched a raw nerve here Rob. While it is possible to fly very cheaply between capital cities, the cost of flying from regional centres often has those of us that live in "the bush" grinding our teeth in frustration!

Using Peter as an example, the only airline that flies from Grafton is Rex. Their cheapest ticket to Melbourne is $522 (one way), which is only available in the late afternoon (so you would have to stay overnight), and involves stops (& probably plane changes) at Sydney & Albury!

From Armidale (where I live) it's a little better - we have a bit of competition between Rex & Qantas. Best price is $306 (one way), only stopping in Sydney.

To be fair, if Peter is prepared to drive for an hour to Coffs Harbour, he can get much better deals. Virgin would fly him to Melbourne for $198 (with a 1.5hr stop in Sydney), or if he's game, Tiger would get him to Melbourne non-stop for only $80!!!! Certainly this is an unexpectedly good deal - hard to see how they can do it.

Of course if Peter decides to buy the car and drive it home, he's then got the problem of how to collect his car from Coffs Harbour (which meantime is accumulating parking fees) - which will be a minimum 2 hours round trip!

Anyway, I suppose our city cousins need to have a few perks/benefits to offset all the disadvantages of city living!

Cheers

Alec
    Roger Wilkinson and jaahn like this.

With all this palava with transport.

I'll live in the City thanks very much.

RACV does pre purchase inspections and reports that are very comprehensive and include history check and may uncover problems not apparent at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by julian c b View Post
    RACV does pre purchase inspections and reports that are very comprehensive and include history check and may uncover problems not apparent at first sight
    Only for members ?

Could be an issue for buyers in other states unless they are a member of motoring organization. And that motoring organization has an agreement with RAC Victoria.

Web intelligence about RACV comprehensive pre-purchase reports is quite variable.

I did notice that you could fly from Gold Coast. Not too far from Grafton .

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

1000+ Posts

250 km.

Thread Information