New Roadworthy Tests in the UK. - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New Roadworthy Tests in the UK.

1000+ Posts

Oh, I thought it was all the eastern seaboard. Oops.

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Oh, I thought it was all the eastern seaboard. Oops.
    The ACT stopped annual inspections (which were at their premises) and instead went to random roadside inspections, it was known that some people were putting the "good set" of tires they had between them on the car just to pass the inspection. Its a little bit out of date but a summary of the situation across most of Australia is here:
    https://www.transport.tas.gov.au/?a=111998
    Random inspections are a good idea, just like mobile speed cameras, you can't plan to be operating a vehicle outside the law as you never know when or where you'll be checked.

Part of the issue in NSW is that they offloaded inspections and insurance to the private sector, and the costs to motorists increased.
    406 HDi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Kim, you still there?

I'm not sure if you eastern staters know it, but we still don't have a regular roadworthy check here in the West. You only need to 'put your car over the pits' if your rego expires, or you import, do major mods or the polis give you an unroadworthy sticker.
    I'm actually "not here", I'm enjoying a cruise on the Danube from Hungary to Romania.....my original post was intended simply to highlight some of the newer "points of order" the Brits had come up with.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Hi Kim, I was just joking as your thread soon went off track....for a change....

Speaking of inspections done by the private sector, dodgy MOT's are well known in the UK. I once got one done in Wales on a dodgy Datsun Cherry when there on holiday, down some back alley mechanics workshop, a friend of a friend. It had almost baldy tyres but the 988cc fireball couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information