Buying mainstream
  • Register
  • Help

Default Buying mainstream

Aged mother moved to smaller centre without French car dealers (or most Euro brands) needs a new small car to replace her perfectly serviceable 19yo Xantia, just in case something goes wrong with it.

Anything recommended? Anything to avoid? Will be used mainly for very short commutes, but possibly also the occasional 300ks back to Brisbane.

Has to be auto - considering Hyundai Accent, Honda Jazz, Kia Rio or Picanto, Suzuki Baleno, maybe Mitsubishi Mirage. Mazda 2, Swift, Barina and Fiesta have already been eliminated. No Skoda dealer in the area.

Thanks for any input.

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Tadpole

Hyundai very popular, glad to see Barina ruled out !

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

take here around and see what she can easily climb in and out of .... I'm betting a pretend wank tank will be chosen ........... As they sit higher you can slide yourself in and out without having to climb down/in or up/out.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

SUVs are generally out of the price range, Shane. My current thinking is the Jazz looks like the highest seating, but it has 6 month service intervals (crazy when she averages no more than 2000ks a year) and I've read they're not great on the highway.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Sounds identical to the situation my Mum was in three years ago. Her 25 year old Corolla with 40K km on the clock was getting a bit long in the tooth. I asked Mum what she would like, which was the Honda Jazz (still the current model), it has good chair-height entry and exit, not too high and not too low. It drives nicely, and rides reasonably (I’m guessing it would be hard compared to a Citroen :-)). There were three standards of trim at the time, all with a reversing camera as standard. A VTi-S was bought for Mum, cloth seats with auto and pearlescent white (only because there was no solid white).

Servicing is not the big bugbear with very low k’s. Even though it is every six months, with very low k’s, there is an option of an “interim” service at around $160ish (from memory) it works out cheaper than some other marque’s annual servicing. The interim service is every six months.

With $3K trade-in (plus carpet mats thrown in) for the Corolla (it saved dealing with tyre kickers), it has been a neat little bus, with no issues (as would be expected with about 3K km on the clock). The only thing I would have liked is an ability to move the rear seat forwards, to increase the luggage space, as there is plenty of rear legroom. At the time there was an extended warranty to five years thrown in, and I think there are now seven year extended warranty offers around too.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

We've just signed on a Jazz Vti auto in silver, trading my DS3.
    Thanks for input.
    Bruce H

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    I am late to the decision making process, but that is what I was going to suggest.
    A lady of my acquaintance has had two of them, a 1st gen and now a 2nd gen, both second hand, and I have been very impressed with both. Good decision.

Andy

Thread Information