Clarifaction on new GST laws on "low value" goods - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Clarifaction on new GST laws on "low value" goods

1000+ Posts

I spoke to Oz Post this morning and they said they would be collecting the under $1000 items as that is how most of the stuff comes in....makes sense really. Time will tell i suppose.

Advertisement
    jr20516v

Now:
    205 GTi 1.9, Exige SC [modded], 205 Si., Colt Ralliart [ highly modded ] Honda CRZ

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

COL

Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v View Post
    I spoke to Oz Post this morning and they said they would be collecting the under $1000 items as that is how most of the stuff comes in....makes sense really. Time will tell i suppose.
    Can't waiting to see the mechanics of this, I had three small parcels delivered by the postie from China this morning with a total value of about $20.

Is he going to have to get off his bike and come to my door, give me the parcels and collect the $2. That means he will have to carry a cash float or an EFTPOS machine to do the transaction and then give me a receipt.

If I can't pay the GST or i'm not home is he going to take the parcels back to the post office for me to collect later and leave a calling card in my letter box?
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

LoL....me thinks you are going to be running to the Post Office to wait in a Q if you want your lollies.
    jr20516v

Now:
    205 GTi 1.9, Exige SC [modded], 205 Si., Colt Ralliart [ highly modded ] Honda CRZ

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

1000+ Posts

JR, if that's what the Aust Post staffer told you, they don't know. As I wrote above, only for the freight forwarder for which they are an agent.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

JBN

I have just completed my first order with Der Franzose which comes just below $1000. After I receive that I will do another for much less. Both should be complete before 30 June.

What I REALLY want is a pair or two of Reebok DMX walking shoes. Reebok US will not export these overseas. Reebok Australia stopped stocking these about 10 years ago. Normally the only way I was able to get them was through Ebay. The only one pair on Ebay is a size too small - 8.5 US where I need 8.5 UK (9.5 US). At this stage I have difficulty in working out which is the worse system - capitalism or communism. Seems one won't let you buy what you want and the other won't let you sell what you want. These shoes are seriously comfortable for old blokes - adds a bit of spring in your step. They are NOT for running.

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    JR, if that's what the Aust Post staffer told you, they don't know. As I wrote above, only for the freight forwarder for which they are an agent.
    I can only go on what they say Stuey..... how do you know different? Please tell :}
    jr20516v

Now:

1000+ Posts

It's established that the overseas seller has to register for GST if they exceed the registration turnover threshold of $75,000, and then pay GST. Australia Post aren't going to do it for them. The 'turnover' is of sales in Australia (the 'indirect tax zone').

There will be no GST if the seller's turnover is less than $75,000, the same as for Aussie sellers.

In fact, Australia Post submitted to the Parliamentary Committee that if they had to collect the tax, it would cost them $900 million to collect $300 million. Another estimate was $450 million, but it was still much greater than the collections.
    hypermiler likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I have just completed my first order with Der Franzose which comes just below $1000. After I receive that I will do another for much less. Both should be complete before 30 June.

What I REALLY want is a pair or two of Reebok DMX walking shoes. Reebok US will not export these overseas. Reebok Australia stopped stocking these about 10 years ago. Normally the only way I was able to get them was through Ebay. The only one pair on Ebay is a size too small - 8.5 US where I need 8.5 UK (9.5 US). At this stage I have difficulty in working out which is the worse system - capitalism or communism. Seems one won't let you buy what you want and the other won't let you sell what you want. These shoes are seriously comfortable for old blokes - adds a bit of spring in your step. They are NOT for running.

John
    Have you ever tried these? I realize it depends on individual foot shape but they fit me perfectly from new and are/were cheaper than the equivalent Ripoffs or Rockport which don't fit me well for the first few weeks.
    I buy them in a shop because i can't be bothered mucking about on mail order.
    https://www.williamsshoes.com.au/Rel...ack-58389.aspx
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

1000+ Posts

I wasnt actually alluding to the $75k plus or minus group........what i am saying is all the little items that come in [like Cols $20 item he writes about in the above ] will be collected by the Post office at the Post office. Parcels are now the mainstay of OZ Post and this will just add to their existing business.
    In your last paragraph you refer about $300million.... i was under the impression that it was way more than that amount coming into the country.....Gerry thinks its billions LOL
    jr20516v

Now:

1000+ Posts

Just heard on the news....Amazon World will not go along with the changed 1st July situation. They will leave it to the Australian Amazon to carry the weight. Unfortunately the OZ Amazon is very limited in choice compared to the big brother and is crap.
    Less choice for Aussies it seems :{
    jr20516v

Now:

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Have you ever tried these? I realize it depends on individual foot shape but they fit me perfectly from new and are/were cheaper than the equivalent Ripoffs or Rockport which don't fit me well for the first few weeks.
    I buy them in a shop because i can't be bothered mucking about on mail order.
    https://www.williamsshoes.com.au/Rel...ack-58389.aspx
    I haven't, but the reason I liked the Reebok DMX shoe is that the airbladder in the sole is connected front to rear. As one's heel hits the ground and compresses the airbladder, air is pushed to the front ready for the foot to roll onto it and push of for the next step as well as pushing the air to the heel. The most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

Reebok Australia only caters for tough Aussies with good cartilage in their knees.

John
    John

1000+ Posts

Hm, Portland one doesn't have that feature - so, not one for you.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

1000+ Posts

JR, I've had a think about what Aust Post told you and maybe the staffer was referring to collecting the GST where the seller hasn't indicated it was paid. For goods under $1,000, Aust Post will collect GST where the seller quotes their ABN (or new 'ATO reference number' for simplified registrants) and does not indicate clearly that GST has been paid. There are certain information requirements for parcel declarations under the new requirements. This only cover those with over $75,000 turnover.

But, for under $1,000 goods where there is no indication of the seller being registered, there is no GST charged by Aust Post or Customs.

The next thing will be, oh how's that going to work, everyone will just not quote a number. This, among many other issues, will cause chaos IMO. I believe it will need significant tweaking, but the Government just brings in the system without too much thought to how it can be implemented in a practical sense.
    Last edited by Stuey; 1st June 2018 at 01:23 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Yep, i agree with what you say Stuey. It is going to be interesting how it all pans out. :}
    jr20516v

Now:

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information