• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bigkev414
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN

Thread: What constitutes "Good Condition" or "Very Good Condition"

Fellow Frogger!

Default What constitutes "Good Condition" or "Very Good Condition"

This has been puzzling to me for a long time. Either I'm extremely fussy (PITA!) or just have a vastly different view to what marks a used car as "Good Condition"

I've spent a fair amount of time searching for, calling about and viewing various older cars. An example would be my continued search for a good 505.

But this is more about what quantifies a cars quality in general. The amount of times I have gone to see a car that was meant to be good yet turns out it needs major work of some kind is astounding.

To me "perfect paint" doesn't mean 4 different shades of red, a big dent and a little rust.

Advertisement

"Good interior" doesn't mean decomposing plastics and seat foam that has turned to dust.

"Great engine" if you can keep the oil in it... etc. etc.

I dunno, maybe I am being to fussy but I've always tried to be transparent when it comes to selling cars.
    Is it really a problem to be honest about condition? I'd much rather be told about damage or mechanical issues before seeing the car especially as the ones I look at are generally 20 - 30 years old or more.

It's not all negative - I've had generally good experiences buying cars here. Just wish it was more widespread!

"Good" means many different things to different people. "Good for age" is often the way out.

Corrosion is another thing. I've turned up to inspect a good car and found a rusted wreck. The seller said "I didn't see the corrosion".

I don't buy anything used unless I can see, feel, hold, touch.

Caveat emptor is the message to remember.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Its not so bad, when describing the POS, that the seller describes it euphemistically but has the right price to match the condition.
    It becomes frustrating when you travel a large distance and an honest appraisal was not given and the price asked is ridiculous.

I've had good experience buyng cars in the "too good to wreck" category from DC.
    They have always been better than expected.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Well, at least I'm not alone!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Depends on the person. What I would consider a very good car .... Is likely something most people would consider a shitbox ready for the crusher ( i look past faded painted and crusty interior).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

May John Clark aka Fred Dagg, rest in peace.

Truth in selling, its a beautiful thing.

The Honest Salesman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbio-nG7mXA

and then does a good number on Real Estate Agents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tzCYY93NNY

Cheers

Dano

Mutual Respect is Contagious

I'll tell you on Saturday... Flying to Melbourne to look at a car that the photos and research and discussions suggest is in "excellent condition".

Fingers crossed. Worst case is I spend a few hundred on airfares, GTFO of Canberra for the weekend (thats worth it on its own...) and visit my olds. Hopefully I'll spend Sunday driving a new toy home.

I have attempted this before though. "Great condition" turned out to be utterly trashed and abused...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Good means a wreck ----very good means marginally OK but a bit rough -------pristine means its either a goody or a dressed up bomb. As new means its crap. From my personal experience.
    cjl likes this.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

1000+ Posts

I looked at a car for my daughter once, not that old, and the ad said something like runs perfectly. I got there and it ran on three cylinders for the whole test drive (without momentarily running on four at all, not for a second). I'm sure one coil was gone. I'd driven 30km after work to test drive the damn thing, and the guy was not the slightest bit apologetic. Weird. I presume he must've thought someone would be eventually buy it!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev414 View Post
    Good means a wreck ----very good means marginally OK but a bit rough -------pristine means its either a goody or a dressed up bomb. As new means its crap. From my personal experience.
    "BigKev" has it right.

I have been to see lots of "stuff" and it is always very good, and when you see and test it, it should really be in the bin, and the seller is just a chancre.

Only one buy I have made was my R19 I bought in Adelaide and drove home to WA. That was right on.

I went to buy a set of used mags for the R19 in Perth, multi-spoke, and when I inspected them 2 had cracks in the spokes ????

Buyer be ware ..... !!!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev414 View Post
    Yep, pretty spot on. Maybe that should be the official Key at the bottom of every gumtree or carsales ad.

The last 306 I looked at ( not on sale here ) that was in great "nick" had a poorly done home paint job with insects trapped like Han Solo in carbonite. No masking had been done so overspray everywhere and the rear muffler looked like a colinder.

I wont even start on the interior...

The one I like is 'good for it's age'.
    WTF is that supposed to mean when a car is designed for a life of what, 5 - 10 years.
    So an 11 year old car should be a half meter compressed cube ready for recycling and anything other than this is a bonus.
    geckoeng likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

I was told all original duco, took me 20 seconds to find the overspray. Shrugged shoulder and a “all cars that age will have had some paint work”. Wtf?

Used car dealers are considered to be always liars for a bunch of good reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Used car dealers are considered to be always liars for a bunch of good reasons.
    Not just dealers but most of your private used car sellers are generally prone to occasional embellishment and/or outright falsehood.
    Caveat Emptor
    jaahn likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Thread Information