Tassie tour in July?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Tassie tour in July?

I am thinking about doing a touring holiday of Tassie in July. What can I expect in way of road conditions? Will I get a lot of problems with roads closed due to ice and snow?

Terry

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tasgill
    I am thinking about doing a touring holiday of Tassie in July. What can I expect in way of road conditions? Will I get a lot of problems with roads closed due to ice and snow?

Terry
    Ha - July! I've been snowed on in Tassie in November! Flying down on the cheap air deals then? The place should be pretty busy with all the $29 flights that month from Jetstar. All sold now of course.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Terry
    Hey Terry, I was there last week & it snowed quite a bit but no road closures. (between Queenstown & Hobart). When it snows on Mt Wellington they close it off which is a real bugger. Some locals told me you can bribe the Ranger to let you up if you have a 4WD! Whatever you do, make sure you go as its definetely worth it. I am going back in August/September again thats how much I loved it. PS how is ol' Toowoomba? I lived there for 5 years up until 7 years ago. Thats where I got the Citroen bug in an old GS Estate. Still got Classic Autos? Cheers
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Hi Terry
    Depends where you want to drive, its a small state but hugely variable climatically. Most of the major roads and tourist spots shouldn't be blocked by snow (east and north coasts, midlands highway between Hobart and Launceston). The main areas of snow and ice are obviously in the mountains (say above 600m) which means almost all of the central plateau and the west coast but the major routes on these are usually only affected for a short while as they clear them (one of the great things about those parts is that there are very few roads at all!).

Ice on twisty roads can be perhaps a bigger problem because its often hard to see (black ice) even into late in the day on some shady spots. So drive carefully on the mountains and admire the scenery without coming into contact with it.

As I said in another thread Calling all Tasmanians! (not sure I got that link working right - I'm new to this)

All sorts of French cars used to come out from the hills for a lovely display in Hobart around Bastille Day in July so perhaps you should check if thats on and make it part of your itinerary?

Cheers,
    Adam

Thanks for your replies...

NGTGi6... Not flying, taking the 405 dt to Melbourne and then ferry across.
    Zykyra... Toowoomba is OK, I've lived here too long (53/56 years), nearly time to move on, the weather is just starting to get cold, Classic Autos is still here, MB has moved on and has his own business and I suspect he does the majority of french car work in Toowoomba.
    Adam.....Thanks, very helpful.

Terry

It will be fine.....

I drive all over the state regardless of the time of year, the only area which can be a bit of an issue, and it's not that bigger one is the west coast, when I do Queenstown in the winter I plan to get away around 11am from Hobart and get into Queenstown around 4pm......any earlier then that can be a little icy still but once the day comes up it clears most days!

Anyway if your on Holidays you wont be in a charging hurry so take it easy and even the west coast is fine, but other then that it's a non event, yep it may be rainy and cold in some areas but if you can drive your way out of a paper bag you will be fine ! Hey I have to use a Magna for work and i've had a good run so

Anyway if you want to catch up with some fellow French Car lovers while you are down let me know as President of the French Car Club I extend a warm welcome, for some drinks or a meal with us guys!

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

I've been down here for 11 years and disregarding Mount Wellington I have only seen snow that lasted for more than a few minutes on the ground 2 or 3 times. I live in the South-east, and the whole east coast is very warm. The Huon Valley is beautiful, the Central Highlands plateau is very nice but cold. Also, if there is snow about they will get some, but you hardly see snow below 600m anyway and most of Tassie is below that. Come and enjoy yourself!
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information