• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Exfrogger

Thread: FS Peugeot 404 experience

1000+ Posts

Default FS Peugeot 404 experience

Hi All

This is a For Sale ad I had translated and put up on the German Peugeot 404 site.

I'm in the process of getting it translated into French and, with some assistance, I'll get it posted there.

I've put it on Froggy Chat to encourage feedback and to elicit some leads. It is primarily an invitation to a car nut to come and enjoy peasant life in a remote Australian coastal town. Our last German visitors are tackling the Canning Stock Route in a HJ47 land cruiser as I type. They stayed a couple of months, Christiane did an Artist in Residence here and linked up with many people in the community, Thomas worked on the truck and we cooked, drank wine and beer (I'm still trying to work off the added kilos...)

Feel free to comment and pass it on,

Peter

G’day Adventure lovers…

I am offering for sale my much loved but sadly unused 1968/9 Peugeot 404 sedan (front disc brakes).
    For the last 5 years it has lived happily in my shed awaiting some attention – but to my deep regret it is just not going to happen. It needs some work to get it roadworthy but once up and running it will take you anywhere in this vast country you should choose to go.

Advertisement

It is outrageously priced at 2000 Euro - but it comes with a few extras…

1. Accommodation (4 - 6 weeks) in delightful costal village - about 10 mins to the beach - in a reasonably well appointed flat (air conditioning, cooking facilities, shower, toilet, TV and wi-fi access, etc) attached to the back of a rather large shed in Geraldton, Australia. (You would need to prepare your own meals.)
    2. A work space with all equipment you’ll need to prepare this car for the journey of a lifetime: hand tools, welders, grinders, sand-blasting equipment, car stands, jacks, engine cranes, a compressor and spray painting gear etc – you will need very few of these to get the car roadworthy - but you get the picture.
    3. Access to technical expertise, skills and assistance should you need it (I lecture in Automotives at the local technical college – as do some of my friends).
    4. Some spare parts that include new front shock absorbers and a gear selector overhaul kit.
    5. Access to my select - but nonetheless small community of friends - for the purpose of eating drinking and… whatever comes to mind.
    6. Free fresh eggs.

About the car: I bought the vehicle in 2007 and drove it from Canberra to Brisbane (1100kms). I was told the car was garaged for most of its life. It was shipped from Brisbane to Geraldton and has been driven infrequently since then. Overall the car is in good condition with little or no rust – yes, that’s correct – almost no rust! The engine starts easily and runs smoothly. The suspension, steering and brakes were all good when the car was first taken off the road. The engine is started and run regularly.

The paintwork is faded and there are some minor dents. (Sadly, I sprayed some fish-oil over the car for protection and now I can’t get it off…)

The previous owner installed a 1.8 ltr motor and replaced the original carburetor with a Weber. The vehicle is not registered but would need very little to pass a roadworthy inspection.
    Things needing to be fixed:

• The gear selector has failed and needs a new kit (supplied)
    • The interior is in fair condition except the front seats do not match and have splits in them.
    • Some of the door and window seals need to be replaced along with the Bailey channels.
    • New/second hand battery
    • The tyres have good tread but they are old.

To prepare for long distance driving - and as a precaution - I would strongly recommend that the purchaser do the following:

• Replace the head gasket – or at the very least re-tension the head,
    • Clean or recondition the radiator and check the cooling system.
    • Install driving/spot lights
    • New fan belt, radiator and heater hoses, etc
    • Fuel filters and the like.

This adventure would suit a person who is familiar with the 404 and able to do their own mechanical repairs.

The purchaser (and their partner/s) would stay with us while they prepare the vehicle for their tour. They would also be able to use one of our vehicles around town while they gathered supplies/parts.
    It is hard to know the market for a car like this but at the end of the journey you could expect to sell it for between $1000 - $2000. Possibly more if the car is well presented.

Geraldton is a coastal town of around 36,000 people with some stunning beaches and in summer is a paradise for those into kite or windsurfing. It is a desert by the sea – it is very hot in summer but warm/mild in winter. At different times of the year people enjoy surfing and recreational fishing is always popular. Geraldton is one of the most isolated cities on the planet and lies 450 kms to the north of Perth, itself the most isolated capital city in the world. Our property is located on the outskirts of the city in a semi-rural setting. The best time to be traveling around Australia in a car without air-conditioning is spring, winter (for northern Australia) and autumn. See:

(Geraldton Ap climate, averages and extreme weather records)

Sadly, for those with a sophisticated European palette, the coffee and cuisine on offer in this village – no make that the entire State - is appalling and you would be well advised to visit Melbourne (a mere 3767.2 kms away) or, god-forbid, Sydney (4284.1 kms)! Though you will find the Australian wines overpowering at first, they become seductive and somewhat enchanting and as your relationship develops. Sadly a hangover is a hangover not matter what and where in the world you choose to drink.

Don’t drink the beer, its for locals only.

I will attach photos of the car and accommodation and provide further information if there is interest.
    Kind regards from Downunder,

Peter and Ann

Salsa and Lulu (The Security).
    CXVingtCinq and lozenge like this.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

with terms like seductive and enchanting you cannot lose Peter.

Perhaps an opportunity exists here for other froggers to sell their vintage/veteran vehicles through your soon to be flourishing BnBnResto holiday stay web business ...
    or
    you could offer to buy vehicle back at the end of travellers stay in australia

seeming that profit is not the motive you could be facing years of enjoyable foreign visitor diplomatic exchange lifestyle.

terrific dreaming/thinking

all the best of french to ya

ed
    Last edited by edgedweller; 3rd May 2018 at 12:59 PM. Reason: formatting

1000+ Posts

Absolutely Edge!

If the project stalls I'll buy it back for a pittance or they can just stay longer and I'll try to sell the car again.

Should be a hoot.

P

PS theres a couple of R12s and an R10 that could be made to live again if anyone was really keen...

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

1000+ Posts

I think your comments about the coffee, food and beer are inaccurate, Peter! At least, not statewide. Maybe up there.

My brother who owns a cafe and our good mate who owns a top notch coffee roasting company would be rather put out!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Stuey - I can be a know-it-all, class A [email protected]$e at the best of times.

Where food and coffee are concerned I'd happy to be discredited... names and addresses please, kind sir!

In the Shed(s):

In the Past:

Thread Information