• 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By hypermiler
  • 1 Post By Stuey
  • 1 Post By 1972Ren
  • 1 Post By Haakon

Thread: Selling a car on Gumtree

Default Selling a car on Gumtree

Hi. I have a car for sale on Gumtree. Nothing special and just asking about $3000 for it.
    Within an hour of the ad going in the other day, I got an sms followed with phone call, and then two emails all pretty much saying "Hey bro whats ur lowest price". I told each of them I was sitting at the advertised price for a week or so, and they all again came back the some version of "I can come tonight to buy for cash $2000". The chap I spoke to was plainly middle eastern and judging by the language I would think the others are too. One of them has emailed several times, so seems like a real buyer. Maybe they are just chancers who try this on all the time to get a cheap car to resell?

Advertisement

I might end up selling for that money, but I am unsure whether to bother even trying to sell to people who try that on. None of them has asked anything about the car (but it is in the ad).

Anyone else had that kind of thing from a Gumtree ad?

Thanks
    Andy.

That's pretty much par for the course, any advertised price on Gumtree is ONO.
    You should expect to get low-balled but if you think the advertised price is fair (you haven't said what is being sold) then stick to your price.
    It all depends on how desperate you are to sell, If you can't live with what's offered and have time, tell the prospective buyer to go forth an multiply. I wouldn't accept am offer 33% below the advertised price on the first day an item is advertised.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post

Thanks
    Andy.
    100%

Even if you write, price firm, not negotiable etc etc, they still do it.
    Jo

The most common reply from scammers is "Hi, I'm interested in your car listed, kindly reply to my email [email protected] your firm price. Email preferred at work.Thnx!"

As soon as they ask to communicate outside of Gumtree and ask for firm price or best price - just hit delete.

I find the quickest way to get one of these scammer emails is to drop the price. I reckon they must have a program that flags ads that have dropped their price, so they can jump on the desperate.

Oh, I admit to getting creative with the email address
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    Thanks Andy.
    Hi Andy
    Yes that is standard practice. I suggest you do not reply to any that you think are suspect. They are probably "mining" for email addresses to 'on sell' so be aware. If a buyer is genuine they will get back to you.

However I have sold a few cars over the years on Gumtree and been happy. You say to any buyers who are genuine that you will only accept offers etc AFTER THEY LOOK at the car. Also note that you only need one genuine buyer if the car is 'right'. Lots of lookers are not an advantage.

Recently I have been clearing out some motors and pumps. The two I have sold so far, at a good price were to the only buyer who enquired after each was on for a while ! If the item is good and priced right there is a buyer out there, but he may not be looking this week
    Jaahn

Admittedly, I do try out a cheeky offer here and there, however I do so with a genuine explanation about my motives, intentions and reasoning.
    Such as - I have a pug loving home and lucky enough to have a large workshop that they can live undercover in, I like to tinker and am keen to play with this such and such, I have a couple of ongoing projects that are sucking up most of my funds but if "insert cheeky offer" would be enough to let it go, i can pick it up as soon as you need with cash in hand.
    I have bought quite a few cars from people like this, always on good terms and we both walk away happy

However if its just a straight up "ill give you half what your asking" then yeah, pest...
    CEyssens likes this.
    Current -
    65' 404 Sedan,
    88' 205 GTI/16V
    92' 505 Custom Turbo Wagon
    92' 205 SI
    88' 505 GTI Wagon - PARTING OUT PM ME

Gone -
    04' 206 RC (GTI180)
    2 X 405 STI,
    405 MI16
    98' 406 Coupe
    406 2l
    91' 205 SI
    306 Style,
    3 X 306 GTI6

If selling on ebay or gumtree I completely reject all and any offers unless the potential buyer has viewed the vehicle.

If the dude can't be bothered looking at the vehicle : I can't be bothered to giving any credibility to the "offer".

I have found it weeds out the time wasters quite effectively.
    gsmack and jaahn like this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

I know of someone who was selling something online who had much the same approach from a potential buyer. A minimum price was indicated to the buyer over the phone but then upon arrival at the nominated time the buyer tried to beat the price down even further - a lot further.

Moral of the story is to decide what your minimum, realistic price is and stick to it. If it doesn't sell then review your price unless your aim is merely to get rid of whatever the item is. Some will try to screw you down as far as they can and reasonableness is not in their vocabulary.
    hypermiler, jaahn and Dano like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    I know of someone who was selling something online who had much the same approach from a potential buyer. A minimum price was indicated to the buyer over the phone but then upon arrival at the nominated time the buyer tried to beat the price down even further - a lot further.

Moral of the story is to decide what your minimum, realistic price is and stick to it. If it doesn't sell then review your price unless your aim is merely to get rid of whatever the item is. Some will try to screw you down as far as they can and reasonableness is not in their vocabulary.
    That's happened to me.

I won out because I refused to accept anything but the pre agreed offer. Eventually the purchaser agreed.

I had nothing to lose.

The purchaser had invested time, fuel and effort to inspect the vehicle. (from Seymour to Caulfield I later found out)

Stuff 'em an offer is an offer.
    Dano likes this.

The Gumtree app has some automatic responses like,
    What’s your lowest price etc
    Just get them to agree on a price you would accept before they come over

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJapan1964 View Post
    The Gumtree app has some automatic responses like,
    What’s your lowest price etc
    Just get them to agree on a price you would accept before they come over

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    That is exactly what Peter and I said doesn't happen, you can agree as much want and even strike a price.

Then some will front up and start negotiating again to a lower price.

To those who do that to me they have two option. Pay the agreed price or leave my premises with no vehicle.

Fellow Frogger!

If buying off Gumtree I'd always want to see the item/car before making any offers but the nature of that platform is for people to make offers sight unseen. I wouldn't bother getting annoyed by low offers, just reject them!

Like codman, I'll always give context before a cheeky offer.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    The "nature of Gumtree" is to make money for them. So what ever generates traffic and encourages sellers to take out paid adds instead of the freebies is good for them. Do not forget you are just a 'punter' to them to make them money. There are lots of scammers and opportunists out there looking to get in on the act too and Gumtree helps them by providing the "make an offer" box and the other instant contacts in the app etc. I have noticed people often do not read the full add if it is long as it would be many screens on the phone and their attention span is too limited

Just be steely and do what you think is what you want and ignore the crap which comes with using a public open site.
    Jaahn
    robmac likes this.

I know a seller who tells those offers to "enjoy riding on the bus"
    4's 16's and Caravelle

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Melc View Post
    I know a seller who tells those offers to "enjoy riding on the bus"
    I know a car salesman that left a customer by the side of the road mid test drive when it became clear started haggling down the already agreed lowest price without any specific reasons that the test drive could give them (car was fine and exactly as described). When you've got all the cards you may as well play them.
    bluey504 likes this.
    406 HDi

1000+ Posts

I got a dodgy offer on - an electric wheelchair! - of my Dad's I had on Gumtree after he died and they wanted me to send it overseas but pay the freight up front (scam). Anyway, I strung them along for days sorting out the details etc. so they thought they had me, then I started taking the piss and asking them how stupid did they think people are and called them a few choice names around their stupidity. I started getting death threats and then they sent me multiple emails containing all sorts of viruses and abuse. Ahhhh, fun times!
    jaahn likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hi, the car has now been sold. In all, I received about 6 of these 'What's your best price?' or 'Give you $1900 tonight cash', sort of emails. No scam emails from blokes on oil rigs, and one real buyer, who came and bought it. Andy.
    jaahn likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I sold my JK Wrangler on Gumtree within an hour of posting.
    Just wish a PSA car would be as much in demand.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    I sold my JK Wrangler on Gumtree within an hour of posting.
    Just wish a PSA car would be as much in demand.

I see that as a sad indictment of Gumtree members.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I see that as a sad indictment of Gumtree members.
    And on current sales performance (eg 3008) not likely to change unfortunately.

Sold my Xsara on Gumtree this week. He turned up, negotiated a little for the hell of it, and came back with the cash when he said he would. Easy. Only an $800 car though...

Got a lot of the dumb arse/rude/annoying offers when I sold a mountain bike, but it was eventually sold to a bloke who also simply turned up as agreed, negotiated a little and came back with the cash when he said he would. That was a $2700 pushbike though, so attracted more people wanting a "bargain"....

Its a useful service, you just have to weed out the idiots.
    jaahn likes this.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Hi Yes it is a useful service and despite the sort of responses I was asking about, I did sell the car. I have sold some other items on Gumtree and found it much better for that than Ebay. Plus of course it is free for the basic advertisement.

Andy.

Thread Information