LPG not quite dead after all -
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: LPG not quite dead after all -

1000+ Posts

Default LPG not quite dead after all -

......and apparently we are living hand to mouth in transport fuel supply.

https://premium.goauto.com.au/lpg-hy...e-6000-a-year/

Advertisement

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Interesting. So how much of the LPG is actually supplied from Australia. I was under the impression we imported LPG ... but exported LNG ...

As far as I can see, petrol stations are rapidly removing the gas pumps. The stuff is bloody hard to find and very expensive if you travel in an LPG car (guess how I know this).

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Interesting.
    When Hyundai developed their Elantra LPG Hybrid in 2008/2009 it was a class leader in that it also introduced a Lithium Polymer (Li-Po) battery with advantages over other hybrid vehicle batteries at the time. Also it was a "dedicated" LPG engine (why not?) so had built in economy even while running on gas. I thought at the time it may come to Australia but never did.

https://www.motoring.com.au/lpg-hybrid-elantra-6733/

I am pleased that the Australian LPG industry is still having a go, pity there isn't a dedicated LPG/Hybrid available, they make sense.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

I can’t see it continuing beyond the big taxi zones and Melbourne will be the last bastion thanks to the Bass Strait sourced energy and local refining.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    I can’t see it continuing beyond the big taxi zones and Melbourne will be the last bastion thanks to the Bass Strait sourced energy and local refining.

The reason for which is that all our Victorian gas is being pumped through a network of pipes that ends up in Queensland Ports and which is exported at a good price overseas. We should turn off the tap in Victoria before it all runs out and we are left with nothing but pipes....................
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Victorian gas? Did not the Commonwealth sieze the offshore resources?

Actually isolating the southern colony might be a good idea.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

we are left with nothing but pipes....................
    Which relay the dulcet tones of Annastacia Palaszczuk back to Victoria.

Please turn off the taps at both ends.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post

With the Hutt River Province? Would be great to be able to keep our taxes in Mexico But, would you really want to forgo trips to Mexico or having to get a visa first?
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post

Pedantry worthy of any Citroen enthusiast.

I for one, understood the point, Kim was attempting to present.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.

1000+ Posts

But, would you really want to forgo trips to Mexico or having to get a visa first?
    Since you asked, it would be no bother at all. I haven't been in years, and last time couldn't find a proper beer. Restricted trade is like that.

In Victoria we use NSW beer to clean truck chassis.......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    In Victoria we use NSW beer to clean truck chassis.......
    And to detox the urinals at Parliament House.

All beer is just cats piss anyway. Don't know how youse can drink it.

Did anyone claim to drink beer?

Y'rall guilty by association M'lard

I have had LPG cars for 30 years and have probably saved the cost of a new car by now .I currently have a camry wagon on duel fuel .The cost in Melbourne varies from 84.9 at coles [not many would pay that] 74.9 at most others ,but I cross the river to Fairfield and pay 62.9 .It seams hardly anyone is doing conversions now except taxis

It seams hardly anyone is doing conversions now except taxis
    Could one suggest the taxis have the conversion process sewn up?
    Kim Luck likes this.

The IEA have been on our case for years, we've been in breach of requirements to keep reserves. About a week is what I last heard is what we have when a hostile force closes the Malacca Straight.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

But really, dicking around comparing different fossils to save a few bucks here or there is polishing the brass on the titanic. Just go electric and be done with it.... Or plug in hybrid for the taxi boys in the short term.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Just go electric and be done with it.
    If cost and performance aren't a factor in choosing your daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    But really, dicking around comparing different fossils to save a few bucks here or there is polishing the brass on the titanic. Just go electric and be done with it.... Or plug in hybrid for the taxi boys in the short term.
    I thoght you were a greeny ? You realise we have coal power stations right Realistically the majority of people could get away with limited range the majority of the time ............. The problem is the occasions when people need to do serious milage at once .... or tow something.

If the government cared about pollution .... We would all be driving commodores with big LS engines .... the car being designed around the huge CNG tank it needs. After all, even though there is no CNG left for use to heat our houses with ... We have the biggest reserves of the stuff in existence. We just need to close the export taps. Why does our government insist on giving away the countries resources that cannot be replaced once they are gone

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Why does our government insist on giving away the countries resources that cannot be replaced once they are gone
    That's a rhetorical question?
    To reduce our deficit because we produce bugger all? Or to fund many wasteful governments spending money on useless projects to get votes and stay in government/gain government?
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    That's a rhetorical question?
    To reduce our deficit because we produce bugger all? Or to fund many wasteful governments spending money on useless projects to get votes and stay in government/gain government?
    Have you seen how little the stuff is sold for .... Other countries have started onselling our CNG for less money than we pay for it when it's delivered to our doorstep by an existing pipe infrastructure. So they can extract the stuff. Pump it across the country, ship it to another country .... and still sell it cheaper than we can buy it ....... Yes, we certianly are not giving the stuff away

seeya,
    Shane L.
    JoBo likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    I am intending to drive the Anne Beadell Highway with the WA ACE club in August. Its a few days drive from Sydney to Laverton via the Nullarbor. The Ann Beadell has a long first leg to the only fuel station of 800km. The second leg to Coober Pedy is less than 600km. That's a lot of extra fuel for the 2CV to carry when a light car handles the sand much better.

It is fine if you live in the ACT and pedal a bike, but there are vast amounts of Australia, which although well served by sunshine is very under populated. Being under populated means there are few voters. Therefore the Greens and the Poobahs that inhabit the Capital can flippantly suggest abandoning fossil fuels (except those fuels that power international jet aircraft which the aforesaid use extensively to enjoy other countries rather than their own).

There may well be a day when Daffy Duck is chopped and turned into a ute. The floor of the ute will be batteries and the electric motor will probably be Bulgarian. One of the ACE team in WA has such a vehicle. It sure flies. He powers it from his solar roof panels. But he doesn't take it to the sweeping plains of the sunburnt country, where the kangaroos and emus and camels roam. Where the stars are far more numerous than the city folk ever see as the only light is a campfire or a toilet torch heading downwind.

John
    cjl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by julian c b View Post
    I have had LPG cars for 30 years and have probably saved the cost of a new car by now .I currently have a camry wagon on duel fuel .The cost in Melbourne varies from 84.9 at coles [not many would pay that] 74.9 at most others ,but I cross the river to Fairfield and pay 62.9 .It seams hardly anyone is doing conversions now except taxis
    You'd be lucky to find a Coles/Shell selling LPG in Sydney. They've all ripped their pumps out. Most taxis are now hybrids. It's only old die hards like me that keep it alive.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information