Spotted at the metal salvage yard
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Spotted at the metal salvage yard

Default Spotted at the metal salvage yard

A bit of a random post...

I dropped off a 306 body at the sims metal and while waiting in queue took this photo:

Spotted at the metal salvage yard-img_2959.jpg

The taper roller bearing in the pic is the best part of 45-60cm in diameter! Look nice in the lounge as a conversation piece :-) The clutch plates are from a serious sized transmission too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

COL

There is some big gear out there.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

See stuff like that @ the Landlord's Yards from time to time. It's amazing @ times the SIZE of the stuff & who it was brought in. The Railroad stuff(complete Locomotives/Railcars,ect..)is just incredible.

[QUOTE=blahblah;1560427]A bit of a random post...

I dropped off a 306 body at the sims metal and while waiting in queue took this photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2959.JPG 
Views:	338 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	104331

How close is the Caterpillar workshop? Some serious bits of kit on those beasts.
    Mate works at Carlton & United Brewery in Melbourne and the bearing for the VB Can filler table is 1200mm across. The filler has a capacity of 2000 cans per minute.
    That bearing would make one hell of a Lazy Susan!
    Brendan.
    Roger Wilkinson likes this.

1000+ Posts

I have seen flatbed rail cars used as low level bridges on rural properties ,pretty good value at scrap metal prices pugs.

1000+ Posts

Icon5 Large scrap steel ball bearings, know of a source ?

Have a friend who is trying to source large ball bearings in the 1 to 3 inch (metric doesn't matter) range. I thought I would be able to find him a secondhand source, but so far, don't seem to be any around. I made inquiries at some old style scrapper places that had them years ago, but now apparently they go straight into the scrap metal bins.

The size isn't critical and he doesn't mind as long as he can source three the same size and spherically round.

Didn't tell me what he wanted them for , he is one of those scientific/mathematical types probably wants to build a measuring platform of some kind.

He is happy to get a full ball race and cut off the outer band to release the steel balls himself. Maybe someone who services mining equipment might have access to large ball races?

Any ideas please.

Ken.

Metric Steel Balls :: Universal Bearings

Available off the shelf, without the ball race components is 50 mm diameter big enough ?

1000+ Posts

Thanks for that link, he was telling me he couldn't source them, I will pass it on to him. Might be the cost factor though so if anyone has a source for secondhand (cheap?) I'd still be interested.

Thanks Robmac.

Ken

Eureka!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spotted at the metal salvage yard-p-1912-pawn_sign_polished_balls_03.jpg  
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

[QUOTE=bluey504;1560492]
    Quote Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

Mate works at Carlton & United Brewery in Melbourne and the bearing for the VB Can filler table is 1200mm across. The filler has a capacity of 2000 cans per minute.
    That bearing would make one hell of a Lazy Susan!
    The original can and bottle filler bearings were base on Tank Turret slewing rings
    Cemco Can filler during my time at CUB Melb, bit slower at 1200 cpm

Spotted at the metal salvage yard-cemco.jpg
    Last edited by driven; 13th August 2018 at 02:01 PM.

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=driven;1581352]
    Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post

The original can and bottle filler bearings were base on Tank Turret slewing rings
    Cemco Can filler during my time at CUB Melb, bit slower at 1200 cpm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cemco.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	108318
    Yep, but like the turret base for navy 4.5 guns, it is probably a taper roller rather than ball bearings.

Thanks

Ken

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Blowing in the wind of dent removal (helps if you like polishing brass!)

Update, called in on my mate tonight and he had also found and bought ball bearings from the bearing company that you posted earlier Rob, he is still looking for a 3 inch ball (approx. 38mm) and a one and a quarter inch one as well.

He showed me a graduated set of ball bearings of all sizes and what he is using them for, it is actually a restoration job on brass wind instruments, the ball is inserted in a dented portion of the brass tubing and then a powerful neodymium magnet is applied to the outside of the trumpet or whatever and that attracts the ballbearing forcing the ball bearing to take out part of the dent from the inside, it does a good job, requires quite a few applications of the magnet to get a small dent out.

The larger three inch ball bearing is required for an old tuba that has dents from roughhandling over the years. It is quite a labour of love and I know that because years back I often restored the small brass Lucas lamps for Austin sevens, but I used a small formed mandrel inside the shell and shaped by light taps with a very small planishing hammer along the line of the polished edge of the mandrel, a real labour of love in smoothing the outside shape to the point where I could start the repolishing of the brass. Once you got it to the polished stage, the lamp shell was suitable for use in polished brass or spray painted shiny black as they were when the car was made.

My pride was in having no filler at all in the finished job and trying to keep the shell as close to the original thickness. I used to buy up rough examples at the swap meets to refinish. I even purchased some brass welding rods from CIG that reverted to the same colour as the original vintage polished brass when refinished and became quite skilled at welding those hairline cracks and then polishing the finished shell so the repair was undetectable even though most would be painted anyway.

You really could not charge anyone for the hours and hours that I put into those lamps, most I gave away or swapped for something my cars needed in those days, so seeing those dented musical instruments under repair, bought back many memories. When I mentioned that I could never charge for the time I spent on my restorations - apparently with the rarer and larger brass instruments there is good money to be made for such repairs.

Anyway, if anyone can source a large 3 inch ball bearing, my mate is very keen to get hold of one also the inch and a quarter as those sizes will finish a couple of instruments he is currently working on.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Update, called in on my mate tonight and he had also found and bought ball bearings from the bearing company that you posted earlier Rob, he is still looking for a 3 inch ball (approx. 38mm) and a one and a quarter inch one as well.

He showed me a graduated set of ball bearings of all sizes and what he is using them for, it is actually a restoration job on brass wind instruments, the ball is inserted in a dented portion of the brass tubing and then a powerful neodymium magnet is applied to the outside of the trumpet or whatever and that attracts the ballbearing forcing the ball bearing to take out part of the dent from the inside, it does a good job, requires quite a few applications of the magnet to get a small dent out.

The larger three inch ball bearing is required for an old tuba that has dents from roughhandling over the years. It is quite a labour of love and I know that because years back I often restored the small brass Lucas lamps for Austin sevens, but I used a small formed mandrel inside the shell and shaped by light taps with a very small planishing hammer along the line of the polished edge of the mandrel, a real labour of love in smoothing the outside shape to the point where I could start the repolishing of the brass. Once you got it to the polished stage, the lamp shell was suitable for use in polished brass or spray painted shiny black as they were when the car was made.

My pride was in having no filler at all in the finished job and trying to keep the shell as close to the original thickness. I used to buy up rough examples at the swap meets to refinish. I even purchased some brass welding rods from CIG that reverted to the same colour as the original vintage polished brass when refinished and became quite skilled at welding those hairline cracks and then polishing the finished shell so the repair was undetectable even though most would be painted anyway.

You really could not charge anyone for the hours and hours that I put into those lamps, most I gave away or swapped for something my cars needed in those days, so seeing those dented musical instruments under repair, bought back many memories. When I mentioned that I could never charge for the time I spent on my restorations - apparently with the rarer and larger brass instruments there is good money to be made for such repairs.

Anyway, if anyone can source a large 3 inch ball bearing, my mate is very keen to get hold of one also the inch and a quarter as those sizes will finish a couple of instruments he is currently working on.

Ken
    A quarter inch ball can be found in a standard bicycle chain wheel (bracket) bearing , if my memory serves me correctly.

Your mates initials aren't PD ? He was primary a school parent, with our kids, and used have a brass instrument repair business.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    A quarter inch ball can be found in a standard bicycle chain wheel (bracket) bearing , if my memory serves me correctly.

Your mates initials aren't PD ? He was primary a school parent, with our kids, and used have a brass instrument repair business.
    Initials? No. is involved in the music world variety of instruments.

Ken

Perhaps the "paint free" dent removers could teach this guy something. I've seen their work, it's incredible.......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Brass is quite different to work than steel sheet. Have you ever worked with brass ? Working steel sheet is a walk in the park compared to brass.

IMO musical instrument repairers are in a league of their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tIsenuUx_c

Repaired with basic tools and tons of skill.

No opportunity to use filler or spray putty on the above repair

And the slightest imperfection shows up like "dogs".

Any PDR tech would likely be outclassed.

And musical instruments need to repaired for appearance and tonal quality as well.
    Last edited by robmac; 14th August 2018 at 08:05 PM.

Brass is quite different to work than steel sheet. Have you ever worked with brass ? Working steel sheet is a walk in the park compared to brass.

IMO musical instrument repairers are in a league of their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tIsenuUx_c

Repaired with basic tools and tons of skill.

No opportunity to use filler or spray putty on the above repair

And the slightest imperfection shows up like "dogs".

Any PDR tech would likely be outclassed.

And musical instruments need to repaired for appearance and tonal quality as well.
    In spite of which, having worked with sheet metal of all kinds for just a few years and having learned all sorts of techniques for bashing everything from aluminium to stainless steel including brass sheet and tube it is all down to the the knowledge of the operator. I've used water ice to pop out brass dents.........

It seems you have missed your vocation.

For me, I wouldn't pretend to have the skills of the dude you tube clip.

It seems you have missed your vocation.

For me, I wouldn't pretend to have the skills of the dude you tube clip.
    Well butter me on both sides, Rob! My skills kept me employed, apparently, a lot longer than you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Well butter me on both sides, Rob! My skills kept me employed, apparently, a lot longer than you!
    Ah yes, but the decision to stop work was my own and at age 55 . The Sale of my business funded a new house and my retirement.

And for last 10 years in business I didn't pick up a tool.

I think you may be forgetting that some have their major skill set in their hands. And other move that skill set into their business development skills.

I'm definitely sure that you had a much longer working life than me.

However I achieved my goal to take, self funded, early retirement.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post

Ken
    Hi Ken
    When I was training one of the excercises on the lathe was to turn a ball. We knocked out quite a few tow balls in the apprentice shop !! Not so hard to do really. Someone with a small lathe could develop a new skill and turn one and polish it a bit and finally cut it off the small nib left. Do the required job OK.
    There is a challenge for someone who needs one
    Jaahn
    PS 3" is not 38mm but 76+ mm.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Ah yes, but the decision to stop work was my own and at age 55 . The Sale of my business funded a new house and my retirement.

And for last 10 years in business I didn't pick up a tool.

I think you may be forgetting that some have their major skill set in their hands. And other move that skill set into their business development skills.

I'm definitely sure that you had a much longer working life than me.

However I achieved my goal to take, self funded, early retirement.
    I only worked 19 years and six months or so longer than you, but you wouldn't believe what I learned in that time! And would you believe I'd still sooner be working? I miss the interaction with customers, whose vagaries made the job so enjoyable.....or challenging, depending on your point of view!
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Ken
    When I was training one of the excercises on the lathe was to turn a ball. We knocked out quite a few tow balls in the apprentice shop !! Not so hard to do really. Someone with a small lathe could develop a new skill and turn one and polish it a bit and finally cut it off the small nib left. Do the required job OK.
    There is a challenge for someone who needs one
    Jaahn
    PS 3" is not 38mm but 76+ mm.
    Thanks Jaahn, when he mentioned 38mm I jotted that down now looking at my notes that was 38mm he has, wants the 3 inch if he can get it, he also mentioned 30 to 35 mm as pipe sizes he is working on (Lot of dented tube sizes!!) hence the assortment. he had a line up of probably 30 ball bearings that he already has and is using with the magnet.

The hard chrome finish of the ball bearings and the use with the strong magnet is going o.k. and producing the finished product that he wants, he has already considered using the dent removal stick on, lift a dent, process, and that will work on some of the obscure dents. He does have his own lathe and other engineering metalworking equipment, quite a clever fellow and Bob from Skipton has met him previously on another project. we were interested in.

So my error re the metric size quoted.

I agree with Robmac, these guys that do such restorations have some unique skills. It is a long time since I repaired dented brass lamps and I know what went into them in terms of time and skill to produce the finish that I wanted.

Anyway don't want to start a head banging from bull heads clashing dominant ,male or whatever passes for that these days thread, I'm too old for that, but thanks for the input guys.

Ken

To be honest, I've learned so much since I retired. All learning is entirely voluntary. And the engineering stuff I've learned has been absorbed so much better because I was learning out interest and not only for the purpose of passing exams.

One of reasons I retired was because I was losing focus (and patience) with customers. And I realized that in the long term that was not good for business.

The business is still blossoming, albeit with new, younger, management who have the necessary customer focus to grow the business further.

They happen to be our opposition when I owned the business.

Every dog has his day. Some just don't accept the fact.

Here's something for you Rob! I'm not a religious person or an ex-apprentice, merely a 'gunnie' but the following applies to a bunch of RAAF apprentices 1958-1960, if not everyone who trained as such:

"Of all the apprentice trade groups being trained at RSTT as part of the Wombat intake, only one, the armament trade-was bestowed with a patron saint. (St Barbara) Clearly, the group was blessed and the origins of the trade preceded, by far, all of the other trades being taught at RAAF Base Forest Hill. This was the one trade whose origins stretched back far beyond contemporary technologies, rooted in the most ancient times of the early Christian era. These would become not mere tradesmen or technicians but, as their predecessors long before them, true artisans of this ancient and revered craft. And so it was that Saint Barbara watched over and protected this special cohort that would be revered by all as Wombat 'gunnies'. From the day that the group was created, it appeared somewhat of a mismatch of individuals. While the 'sumpies' and 'clock winders' may well have mused over how they were selected by the RAAF's administrative machine, and may have considered it was for their intellect, dexterity, physical attributes, sporting prowess or basic engineering skills (or the lack thereof), the 'gunnies' knew they were there by divine providence.................."

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information