Targa Tassie Pics
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts zykyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Targa Tassie Pics

    Hey guys, thought I'd post these as there were 4 Froggies in Targa this year, also included some other pics, mainly Italian stuff, a battered Caterham & an Ultima........Enjoy (PS hope link works)

    Advertisement





    http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/...?action=logout
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12


    In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! DJ-Studd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    545

    Default

    Looking good!
    The Targa rally is something that I'm hoping to compete in.. one day

    -- DJ

    Edit: Woah, someone raced a 206CC in it?!

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts N5GTi6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    Great pics - got any more? Don't you just love photobucket.com ?

    Category 5 is interesting isn't it? Montreal v's R17 TL v's P76 v's Morgan Plus8 v's 911RSR v's a fleet of 124 coupes. Wonderful!!!
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Launceston Tas
    Posts
    143

    Icon7

    There are more pics at these newspaper related sites.

    http://stallards.onpix.com/viewfilm....&flm=EXM010504 ( from1/05/04 )

    go down to the lower 3/4 of this page click on the thumbnails.. photographs by the examiner staff

    pics from several more days here in the general index
    http://stallards.onpix.com/examinerList.asp select a date and click on view film .

    also try typing targa into the search box here
    http://www.newsphotos.com.au/SearchResults.asp

    Cheers Ranger.
    Last edited by Ranger; 10th May 2004 at 06:41 AM.

  5. #5
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Studd
    Edit: Woah, someone raced a 206CC in it?!
    Well they drove around and had fun ...
    - XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Hehehe the C2 is so cute!!


    Dave


  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! 604 tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    371

    Default Targa encouragement

    [QUOTE=DJ-Studd]Looking good!
    The Targa rally is something that I'm hoping to compete in.. one day QUOTE]

    Yep - these Targa's are heaps of fun especially if your in a good team. Start planning a few years ahead & make it a team effort.

    We did it in 1992 (Adelaide in those days) & a "battered Caterham/clubman" won the event. This was real good as it was everybody else Vs the Porches. (You know the joke - a porcupine has the pricks on the outside!! ) Think we came in 12th in the fast car class.
    So many projects - so little time.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts Pugnut403's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Targa this year was fantastic! I volunteered as usual, and on my corner I saw some great driving. The best bit was the old 1931 Oakland V8 going into a gentle 4 wheel drift with its old skinny tyres squealing. Pure bliss. He was really driving the wheels off it.
    The Giocattolo Group B was fantastic too. They were based on an Alfa GTV shell with a Walkinshaw V8 mid mounted. They look great and go like stink too.
    Pugs Rule!

    403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts N5GTi6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugnut403
    Targa this year was fantastic! I volunteered as usual, and on my corner I saw some great driving. The best bit was the old 1931 Oakland V8 going into a gentle 4 wheel drift with its old skinny tyres squealing. Pure bliss. He was really driving the wheels off it.
    The Giocattolo Group B was fantastic too. They were based on an Alfa GTV shell with a Walkinshaw V8 mid mounted. They look great and go like stink too.
    Actually the Giocattolo was based on an Alfasud Sprint, not the much larger and heavier GTV body, which is all the more amazing considering the Sprint was a four cylinder FWD, and the Giocattolo was a midmount 5litre V8 driving the rear wheels! It was a pretty amazing engineering job that conversion, and very nicely done. One of these crashing on the old drag strip at Eastern Creek is one of the main reasons why the new drag strip was built - the guy ran it head-on into the concrete wall at the bottom of the straight and made a real mess of things!
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts zykyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    FYI That certainly was a spectacular crash! Ouch......poor guy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Targa Tassie Pics-gqfr3t.jpg   Targa Tassie Pics-gqrr1t.jpe  
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12


    In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts Pugnut403's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    That would have made a mess of him too I would imagine. Not good.

    I got to have a good look at the one in Targa at the vehicle expo. The bloke was polishing it and he let me have a look at the engine and where the old engine used to be that now houses the radiators. It is a very neat conversion indeed.
    Pugs Rule!

    403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

  12. #12
    Cal
    Cal is offline
    Moderator Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugnut403
    That would have made a mess of him too I would imagine. Not good.
    His name was Todd Wilkes. RIP

    Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts Luca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    The Monte Carlo is nice.

    "The Duke" (Alfa GTV with the twin turbo v8) did the quarter mile the wrong way and put it in the wall at the start. I still dunno why they let him do it the wrong way but that's what happens when u wanna show off.

  14. #14
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    His name was Todd Wilkes. RIP

    Cal.
    My fellow knew him pretty well through Summernats; the son of the guy who did his engine work, Kent, comes to my place occasionally and Brad has worked with him on other projects.

    http://www.twinturbov8.com/index.html

    The car was originally bought by Warwich Capper when he played for the Brisbane Bears and was sold via Unique Cars to Todd for around $50,000 It's original build number was 007

    From memory he had a motor same as or the one from his ute in it which was dynoed around 1000BHP and somehow was road registered. Why they ran the car wrong way down the straight I never heard but theory was that the throttle jammed & with all those horses, even the big scarey brakes didn't hard;ly slow it. When he hit those water filled barracades, they almost exploded & tossed water hundreds of metres. The car caught fire after impact but I think he was already gone.
    I can never understand why the car wasn't fitted with a kill switch & if it was, why he didn't use it.


    Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 21st May 2004 at 05:01 PM.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  15. #15
    Cal
    Cal is offline
    Moderator Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    I still dunno why they let him do it the wrong way but that's what happens when u wanna show off.
    That's BS. Showing off had nothing to do with it. It was a speed event run under CAMS. It should never have been allowed to run that direction. Because it did, someone died.

    Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts Luca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Naah he wasn't showing off... the guy did a run the wrong way dude.. why would someone do that in front of a crowd?

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! Andreas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    That's BS. Showing off had nothing to do with it. It was a speed event run under CAMS. It should never have been allowed to run that direction. Because it did, someone died.

    Cal.
    terminal velocity (top speed) as part of drag combat, part of the [cabin] autosalon events.

    apparently run that way because the crowd would see the top speed parts.

  18. #18
    2000+ Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    "The Duke" (Alfa GTV with the twin turbo v8)
    The car is actually a Giocattolo and is based off the Alfa Sprint, actually it's hardly even that because the only thing the two cars share are the general body shapes. I have seen a few around Brisbane, they have so much presence.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

  19. #19
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    I believe that it's possible he did the damage himself... that he was trying to reach some particular speed and kept his boot in it until it was too late to arrest it.

    But I'm only guessing... like everyone else...

    One thing's for sure, the incident is a part of the reason that CAMS are going to have to swallow hard and accept the Coroner's decision about risk management standards being taken out of their hands.

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts Poo-Go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    I think I remember hearing that he had a parachute, and it failed. Dunno how true that is.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

  21. #21
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default

    It's not a subject they like getting into, but next time young Jason's here I might ask the question if the occasion arises.
    Last I heard was the jammed throttle theory mainly due to the fact that when you see the video, there seems to be a cloud of smoke off the brakes but nothing off the tyres.

    Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  22. #22
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Maybe something will come of the coronial enquiry... which I believe is on at the moment.

    In the interim, I think we've gone a little OT here, Cal's pics of the Tasmanian extravaganza of daring and danger are being ignored...

  23. #23
    Cal
    Cal is offline
    Moderator Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Naah he wasn't showing off... the guy did a run the wrong way dude.. why would someone do that in front of a crowd?
    Ummm that's the direction the event was being run. What you think at such an event you can just jump in and have a punt in the wrong direction?? Have you ever done any motor sport?

    Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

  24. #24
    1000+ Posts N5GTi6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    I believe that it's possible he did the damage himself... that he was trying to reach some particular speed and kept his boot in it until it was too late to arrest it.

    But I'm only guessing... like everyone else...

    ...........snip............
    That's got to be the most feasible story / explanation I've heard. One story I heard was that he had 'fiddle' brakes - he could switch off the rears so that he could lock the fronts on when doing burnouts to slow the car but still power the rear. The story goes that he had been doing burnouts prior to the top speed run, and hadn't switched the brakes back on again....

    Yeah - who knows. Don't know the guy, but certainly a waste of a great car.
    Last edited by N5GTi6; 23rd May 2004 at 02:00 AM.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

  25. #25
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    "The Duke" (Alfa GTV with the twin turbo v8) did the quarter mile the wrong way and put it in the wall at the start. I still dunno why they let him do it the wrong way but that's what happens when u wanna show off.
    as someone else pointed out, it was a giocattolo which is sprint based not gtv based. the gio had the plates "judge", not "duke" or "the duke". todd ran in the same direction as every other competitor in the event. after reading this thread im mystified as to why you posted at all, since its patently obvious that you have absolutely no idea about the car, todd, or the event he was killed at. do you feel like an arsehole? because you damn well should.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    From memory he had a motor same as or the one from his ute in it which was dynoed around 1000BHP and somehow was road registered. Why they ran the car wrong way down the straight I never heard but theory was that the throttle jammed & with all those horses, even the big scarey brakes didn't hard;ly slow it. When he hit those water filled barracades, they almost exploded & tossed water hundreds of metres. The car caught fire after impact but I think he was already gone.
    I can never understand why the car wasn't fitted with a kill switch & if it was, why he didn't use it.
    the gio had the same motor as the ute, although with different turbos, ecu and iirc, a different cam. the ute dynoed 642rwhp which is around 880hp at the crank. the gio dynoed at least 889rwhp that i can recall. at the top speed event at which todd was killed, the gio ran 176mph through the traps. by way of comparison the 2nd place getter ran 131mph through the traps, which itself was very quick and quite a distance back to third and the rest of the group. 2nd place getter was a ~135mph terminal speed car down a full quarter mile strip, the performance indications of which im sure will be appreciated by some here. the majority of the rest of the 20 or so competitors which preceded todds run were in the 90-105mph range with only one or two exceptions. todd ran the same direction, and used the same brake marker as the rest of the competitors. the curve of the circuit off the straight had been blocked off. there were no runoff areas. the reality of the matter is that todd simply had far more acceleration than anyone else, which combined with the sheer, unbelievable incompetence of the organisers, resulted in there being no alternative other than to hit the concrete wall. the gio neither had, nor required a kill switch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Naah he wasn't showing off... the guy did a run the wrong way dude.. why would someone do that in front of a crowd?


    Quote Originally Posted by LookingforMi16
    I think I remember hearing that he had a parachute, and it failed. Dunno how true that is.
    its not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    It's not a subject they like getting into, but next time young Jason's here I might ask the question if the occasion arises.
    Last I heard was the jammed throttle theory mainly due to the fact that when you see the video, there seems to be a cloud of smoke off the brakes but nothing off the tyres.
    there was no throttle jam. i was there and clearly heard him lift off before applying the brakes. proof of this was the flames from the exhaust, which youll find, are common on the overrun to cars not fitted with cats. the smoke was from the tires, not the brakes. there was plenty of tire screech in between his cadence braking.

    Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6
    That's got to be the most feasible story / explanation I've heard. One story I heard was that he had 'fiddle' brakes - he could switch off the rears so that he could lock the fronts on when doing burnouts to slow the car but still power the rear. The story goes that he had been doing burnouts prior to the top speed run, and hadn't switched the brakes back on again....
    fiddle brakes are for braking individual wheels, usually the rears, and are used to enhance maneuverability in tight and twisty events like motorkhana/autocross. front/rear brake isolation is via a line lock. todd had neither. there were no burnouts prior to the event.

    i first met todd in 1996 and he was one of the most careful, detail oriented and motivated people ive known. not to mention sharp as a tack, and a top bloke. i have a lot of respect for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •