Importing Cars and asbestos
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By blueduck

Thread: Importing Cars and asbestos

Default Importing Cars and asbestos

Importing a car into Australia and the asbestos problem

There has been a great deal of concern about the importing of used cars and the “No-asbestos” requirement

Let me tell you what happened with me

I purchased an E-type Jaguar in August 2017 from a location in New Jersey, USA

I knew of the asbestos problem so having finalized a shipping agent, EDI, discussed situation with them.
    They could offer no guarantees that there would not be a problem but were confident there would be none if I did sensible things to remove asbestos

Advertisement

So I decided to go as far as seemed reasonable to get any asbestos out of car. This is what I did

• Decided that the likely sources of asbestos would be
      • brake pads
      • exhaust gaskets, heat shields etc.
      • possibly clutch plate
      • almost certainly not head gasket (there was evidence that it had been replaced 10 years ago)

• Determined that there were spare parts in USA which were “100% asbestos free” (almost certainly containing no asbestos) as well as “Asbestos free” (Could have a small amount of asbestos). I also noted that asbestos did not seem to be specifically banned in USA (I might be wrong here)
    • To be absolutely certain of parts being “100% asbestos free” purchased in Australia
      • clutch plate,
      • brake pads,
      • exhaust manifold in Australia and shipped these parts to USA.

• Located a willing? mechanic in New Jersey who
      • Replaced all brake pads (This involved dropping the rear suspension assembly because the pads were seized in mounts)
      • Removed major exhaust system components and replaced exhaust gasket but not muffler
      • Removed all heat shields. Those with insulation were disposed of, the others were put back
      • After discussion did not replace clutch because there was evidence it was relatively new

Car was subsequently imported to Australia in normal way. EDI were confident that there would be no problem due to work carried out

Completed Statutory Declaration (without this you will not pass. But it could be a mechanic who completes it, not necessarily the owner) stating to best of my knowledge car was asbestos free. (Had to think about that but I believe it was a reasonable statement of my understanding). Attached some relevant photos

Car went through asbestos inspection without any problem but note that not all cars are physically checked. Was I lucky or did inspectors look at my Stat Dec?

Was it selected for inspection and passed due to actions I had taken?
    If it were the latter I am almost certain it would have passed

So you can do it

Ian Downie
    UFO, Kenfuego and jo proffi like this.
    Blueduck (aka Ian Downie)
    1974 Citroen D Special with DS21i.e. engine and 5 speed gearbox
    MGB GT V8 B.... bullet--proof and great fun
    Jaguar e-type roadster ... on the way from US of A

thanks for sharing this. it's pleasing that you weren't snared
    in a bureaucratic nightmare. best wishes for life with an E-Type.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for posting this, it is much less depressing than some of the horror stories I've heard

Goes to show what doing it properly can achieve. I like the idea of sending replacements for the potentially offending bits from Oz ( presumably with some sort of documentation ) . This was excellent idea.

I imagine it still added rather a lot to the cost of the exercise, but one doesn't usually import cars if bargain-hunting

Many thanks for the post

Andrew

Fellow Frogger

Although, its not legal to sell anything with asbestos commercially in Australia now, you will still find NOS items for sale, particularly via eBay, Gumtree and most likely at swap meetings. Strictly, they are also not supposed to post them, but evidently they do. So, buying from higher volume professional traders would have been a smart move. The no asbestos laws also apply to export situations. From reading the earlier Mustang-asbestos-import horror story, there seemed to also be interest in residual asbestos from friction lining dust that had deposited in the body. With an E-Type, some of them will have new bodies and others will have been stripped to bare metal, so that may be more of an issue for more original examples and less costly models.

Well done.
    Last edited by David S; 21st February 2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Removed further comments that may be better left unsaid.

Andrew et al,
    I took photos of items purchased in Australia from supppliers shop. The photos show the supplier's workshop/shop (well-known Jaguar parts supplier). Buying off internet would not have worked for the reasons you mentioned (provenance uncertain). Mechanic in USA also took photos,
    The parts in Australia cost about $500. The work in USA cost a very reasonable US$2400.
    As I understand it, one of the horror stories related to a pre-war low volume German car which could well have had a lot of asbestos perhaps even in the body
    Cheers
    Ian
    Blueduck (aka Ian Downie)
    1974 Citroen D Special with DS21i.e. engine and 5 speed gearbox
    MGB GT V8 B.... bullet--proof and great fun
    Jaguar e-type roadster ... on the way from US of A

The vehicle being imported should be crux of the discussion.

And the feasibility of import needs to be assessed on a case by case basis.

As an example prewar Benzs can be absolute nightmare to remove asbestos from and the cars can be badly damaged in the process.

I'm glad my days of importing cars are behind me now .It looks like a nightmare now

Thread Information