Hasher penalities required for handling a phone while driving.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Hasher penalities required for handling a phone while driving.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Hasher penalities required for handling a phone while driving.

Time to bring on disqualification or 11 points if caught handling your mobile while driving.

Advertisement

https://www.9news.com.au/national/20...ar-at-rbt-site
    StephineS and pug206gti like this.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by dvr View Post
    Time to bring on disqualification or 11 points if caught handling your mobile while driving.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/20...ar-at-rbt-site
    On top of that or alternative to there could be instant confiscation of the phone.

Seeing as lots of people run their life through these devices, the inconvenience of not having the phone while they source another should be a deterrent.

Also the price of some of the handsets is way more than the fines are at present.
    alhantos, StephineS, Dano and 2 others like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

JBN

A gaol term accomplishes both - period of time without driving and loss of phone use.

John
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    On top of that or alternative to there could be instant confiscation of the phone.

Seeing as lots of people run their life through these devices, the inconvenience of not having the phone while they source another should be a deterrent.

Also the price of some of the handsets is way more than the fines are at present.
    Agree crush the phone! If you hoon they crush your car, so that would be equal consequences.
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.

UFO

Oh I reckon this fool has already started receiving some "punishment". A fellow officer has a partial leg amputation.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Oh I reckon this fool has already started receiving some "punishment". A fellow officer has a partial leg amputation.
    Sadly no, not these days. They would be calling him 'sir'
    30 years ago, when I was a young fellow starting out at Darlo, maybe...

Dave
    UFO and Dano like this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Icon14 My instant solution.

Anyone caught using a mobile phone whilst driving should have a mandatory instant penalty of having to fit a court designated (Read - very expensive!!) ignition interlock device that both prevents the car being started in the presence of an active mobile phone and also jams any attempt at mobile communications whilst driving - and of course automatic jail time if the driver uses another car or tries to communicate with his or her mobile phone or otherwise attempts to bypass the intended effect of the court order.

Might save several lives and the cost is borne by the offender, not the rest of the community.

Mind you this could be an option even if the original penalty was by way of Penalty Infringement Notice (On the spot fine) Simple to apply to a Magistrate to make the order, especially where courts sit 24 hours a day for remands and bail application and make it a rigorous appeal or removal of order process to eventually remove the device with whatever conditions a court might like to impose..

Ken
    pug206gti, HONG KONG PUGGY and bob like this.

This is most telling information and I quote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-1...at-rbt/9457526

The court heard this is the second time Mr Thornton has been charged with using a phone while driving, and he has had his license suspended four times.
    I'd suggest the authorities have dropped the catch previously.

I ask you , a 22 yo who has lost his brief four times ? Surely at that stage it's time to remove the "accident waiting to happen" from the roads entirely. At what stage does this dude get considered "unsuitable to hold license" ?

Prior warning not heeded seems to describe the situation

Not that it helps the Police suffering life altering injuries.
    Last edited by robmac; 17th February 2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added link
    Dano and HONG KONG PUGGY like this.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Anyone caught using a mobile phone whilst driving should have a mandatory instant penalty of having to fit a court designated (Read - very expensive!!) ignition interlock device that both prevents the car being started in the presence of an active mobile phone and also jams any attempt at mobile communications whilst driving - and of course automatic jail time if the driver uses another car or tries to communicate with his or her mobile phone or otherwise attempts to bypass the intended effect of the court order.

Might save several lives and the cost is borne by the offender, not the rest of the community.

Mind you this could be an option even if the original penalty was by way of Penalty Infringement Notice (On the spot fine) Simple to apply to a Magistrate to make the order, especially where courts sit 24 hours a day for remands and bail application and make it a rigorous appeal or removal of order process to eventually remove the device with whatever conditions a court might like to impose..

Ken
    Ken - of course you realise that is impractical. The laws do not prevent passengers in a vehicle using a mobile device.

Mind you this afternoon I was nearly taken out in the D when a young driver (not P plate) was driving his Hilux ute through a roundabout. His similarly aged passenger was either ignorant of the fact or complicit in that the person with responsibility for his safety obviously did not give a shit about him.

I hope the people on the other end of the phone call wondered why their phone call suddenly had the blaring sounds of airhorns over-riding their phone call.
    Dano likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    This is most telling information and I quote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-1...at-rbt/9457526

I'd suggest the authorities have dropped the catch previously.

I ask you , a 22 yo who has lost his brief four times ? Surely at that stage it's time to remove the "accident waiting to happen" from the roads entirely. At what stage does this dude get considered "unsuitable to hold license" ?

Prior warning not heeded seems to describe the situation

Not that it helps the Police suffering life altering injuries.
    They then drive unlicensed which leads to an expansion in the gaol building industry.
    I suspect heís beyond caring about laws.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

JBN

Gaol him with the paedophiles. Although he maybe outside their normal victim age group, fresh meat is always welcome, even for the vegans.

John
    JoBo and COL like this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Their problem, and if passengers are inconvienienced stiff tacky!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Ken - of course you realise that is impractical. The laws do not prevent passengers in a vehicle using a mobile device.

Mind you this afternoon I was nearly taken out in the D when a young driver (not P plate) was driving his Hilux ute through a roundabout. His similarly aged passenger was either ignorant of the fact or complicit in that the person with responsibility for his safety obviously did not give a shit about him.

I hope the people on the other end of the phone call wondered why their phone call suddenly had the blaring sounds of airhorns over-riding their phone call.
    Hey UFO Not impractical for me at all, just directly imposes on the DH person who will have to send his/her passengers by Uber or what not, if they want to make a phone call while travelling in this car - i.e. just another inconvenience that he or she will have to explain to would be passengers "sorry I stuffed up" and you can't make a phone call from this car. Their choice then to travel without the idiot.

Won't take long for this to sink in as one of those ongoing reminders NOT to transgress in the first place. I have little sympathy for such careless offenders who care more about their immediate wants and needs and nothing about the wider community or their victims.. Word will soon get around.

Penalties should be real penalties and bite ! IMHO

Ken!
    bob and cjl like this.

I occasionally use the phone whilst driving. Hands free via bluetooth whether initiating a call or receiving one. Voice commands only. I don't have to look at or touch the phone, it's in my pocket. My conversation is the same as if I'm conversing with a passenger and as yet that is not illegal. I even send and receive texts whilst driving, using voice commands only. Again, no need to look at or touch the phone, my phone converts the text to speech, no more illegal than listening to the radio.

Yet with all this technology available a seemingly vast majority consistently text whilst driving using their phone keyboard and their eyes off the road. I used to think people with their eyes constantly in their laps were just admiring their wedding tackle, but these days I know better. They are the people who have never heard of bluetooth or voice commands, and to whom a text received needs an instant keyboard response, it doesn't matter when. At my age, I despair! None of them can spell anyway!
    UFO, cjl and Kenfuego like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I occasionally use the phone whilst driving. Hands free via bluetooth whether initiating a call or receiving one. Voice commands only. I don't have to look at or touch the phone, it's in my pocket. My conversation is the same as if I'm conversing with a passenger and as yet that is not illegal. I even send and receive texts whilst driving, using voice commands only. Again, no need to look at or touch the phone, my phone converts the text to speech, no more illegal than listening to the radio.

Yet with all this technology available a seemingly vast majority consistently text whilst driving using their phone keyboard and their eyes off the road. I used to think people with their eyes constantly in their laps were just admiring their wedding tackle, but these days I know better. They are the people who have never heard of bluetooth or voice commands, and to whom a text received needs an instant keyboard response, it doesn't matter when. At my age, I despair! None of them can spell anyway!
    Every day on my drives to/from work I see numerous crutch admirers. They think they're so inconspicuous. Yeah right...

It makes me tempted to make an A4 laminated sign on a stick, along the lines of "PUT THE BLOODY PHONE DOWN DICKHEAD"
    jaahn likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I don't think the problem is with using mobile phones. Ban these, they'll find something else to distract them.

Again, I think it is the poor driver education, and the ease with which one can get a licence. Like a friend of mine used to say. You give something for nothing, it is worth nothing. Make people work hard to get a licence and they will treasure it. Give them left right and centre like there's no tomorrow, nobody will care.

That said, in this instance, the officers have sort of created their own problem. I am not sure how someone can not see the christmas tree lights flashing ahead of them but apparently this dickhead did, so there is a question there.

Not sure why the officers were standing in front of their van (facing traffic that is). I have not seen police here standing on the traffic side of their vehicles. We instruct young recruits to never do that either and avoid getting out of their cars at all if possible. I feel very vulnerable if I have a flat on the left or rear side of my car even in the field where there is basically zero traffic and always try to avoid being in the way. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I've just seen too many stupid things like that (a friend was hit like that on the freeway in Canada a few years ago). It's just a drama waiting to happen.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

In the meantime what if a movement or something like that could start.

I'm thinking of other drivers when seeing a text user, eg at red lights, getting their attention and then gesturing with two finger to the eyes and a pointing finger to the road ahead. I do it and so far had success with them looking sheepish and putting their phone down.

I know, one day I might get thumped for my worried citizen concerns.
    IWS, UFO and Dano like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Semi autonomous aids simply add fuel to the fire......and lets stop pretending that itís mainly men.
    The elephant is gossiping.

UFO likes this.

Let’s change course for a while....

My concern is for the poor innocent victims. Unfortunately, all of us at sometime or another, have done something stupid or illegal.

In this case, the people/victims involved were just doing their job. Protecting us from other idiots, who think is their right to drive under the influence.

Offenders may feel like crap for a while. Unusually why they are being inconvenienced by unfair and unjust laws, that don’t let them be individuals and act, as they want. (THE LAST BIT IS SAID WITH A HUGE AMOUNT OF JEST AND DISDAIN).

What about the officers involved (Or whoever), their lives will never be the same. Sorry darling, Daddy can’t pick you up or play footy.... Life changing consequence, beyond the victim.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the answer is. Jail terms don't help; at worst, they can harden someone. Maybe, made to wear a bracelet that cant be removed for a few years. One that the public recognise. Similar to some other comments, I think the true answer is, all cars/vehicles regardless of the owners should have phone lockout systems fitted. Extreme, yes I know. But stop and think, what did we do before mobile phones. We weren't distracted by them, some 25-30 years ago. No, I'm not a dinosaur, technology has improved our lives in many ways, but it is how we use it, that counts.

As I said before, I am not without fault....

Dano
    Last edited by Dano; 18th February 2018 at 03:40 PM.
    jaahn and pug206gti like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Managers want to maintain contact at all times during (and sometimes beyond) their hours of employment so their certainly wonít be any banning of communication on the road.
    There is a level of community hypocrisy involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    No, I'm not a dinosaur, technology has improved our lives in many ways, but it is how we use it, that counts.

As I said before, I am not without fault....

Dano
    Indeed!!
    Maybe there needs to be a re evaluation where rather than blankly banning a device's use, we educate people how to use it in an intelligent manner.
    For example, 10-20 seconds of continuous use might be discouraged in favour of 1 second glimpses.
    I do note that cops, taxis and probably other emergency vehicles have complicated screens, and they manage to not be crashing all over the city because of them.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Not sure why the officers were standing in front of their van (facing traffic that is). I have not seen police here standing on the traffic side of their vehicles. We instruct young recruits to never do that either and avoid getting out of their cars at all if possible. I feel very vulnerable if I have a flat on the left or rear side of my car even in the field where there is basically zero traffic and always try to avoid being in the way. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I've just seen too many stupid things like that (a friend was hit like that on the freeway in Canada a few years ago). It's just a drama waiting to happen.
    Why do you think the police were standing in front of their van?

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

UFO
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Why do you think the police were standing in front of their van?

Dave

From the article it sounds like the officer was sandwiched between the crashing car and the police van.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The police were setting up an RBT site. They had the boot open on their HWP SS Commodore as they were getting witches hats out.
    The bozo in the van typing a text ran straight into the back of them at speed.

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

COL

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Indeed!!
    Maybe there needs to be a re evaluation where rather than blankly banning a device's use, we educate people how to use it in an intelligent manner.
    For example, 10-20 seconds of continuous use might be discouraged in favour of 1 second glimpses.
    I do note that cops, taxis and probably other emergency vehicles have complicated screens, and they manage to not be crashing all over the city because of them.

Jo
    All this gear is mounted on the dash board where it is easy for the driver and his passenger (in the case of emergency vehicles) to see, not floating around on the drivers lap.
    Dano likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information