Been on a Volvo binge
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Been on a Volvo binge

Default Been on a Volvo binge

Evening all

As my work life is taking me over I dont get as much time to be on AF or working on the cars. Hence the stalling of the race car and no buying everything on the for sale section every 2 days.

Ive had the Xantia in getting some work done that I dont have time for and have been asked to get the girlfriends 89 240 Wagon ready for Rego.

Its got too many rust issues and I cant justify spending the $ on a car I could fix given the time and space to do it in so its being parted out.

Advertisement

So somehow I found what some would call the ultimate about a week before the rego was due. Perfect plan I thought. Find her a good body or whole car and be done with it!

After some Volvo binge reading and forum lurking here is the story.

An old Volvo guy ( old man 1 ) with a 92 ( last of the 240 with airbag, nicer seats, tirms etc ) 240 sedan who bought another old guys ( old man 2 ) 92 240 wagon. Then I came along

They used the same mechanic and met in 2005 while having some work done on their cars. The sedan owner always wanted the 240 wagon from the other Old Man before he died but alas he was not selling until he died! Which he did 6 months ago!
    The sedan has 152k from new from the original owner, the Old Man 1. He kept it as the Old Man 2's 240 wagon had blown a headgasket just before he died ( serendipity? ) Now the Old Man 1 has both cars with intentions of doing the motor swap. He had been waiting for the Wagon since 2005 when they met at the mechanics. The Old Man 1 now has family issues and has to relocate to QLD and needs to shift the cars which is where I came in. I signed up to OZ Volvo and trawled through the for sale section and couldnt believe my eyes. No one had bought it as it needed work on the engine but no one turned up to check it out. I went and had a look. Its IMMACULATE inside and out. Not a dent, chip scratch anywhere. He offered me both car for a silly price as he said he liked me ( think he liked my wife more! ) and wished I carry out the conversion and enjoy it for a long time.

So, the wife is now happy as Larry. She refuses to drive anything but a 240 wagon. I wanted to get her into a good one so the engine swap happens sometime over the next couple of weeks. The sedan heart is going into the Wagon also with autobox. Ive ordered every bush and balljoint for the suspension from IPD in the states so it should serve us well for the next 200 odd years.

Thanks for reading! Im still mad on the french stuff. Would love to put a hairdryer on the 240 wagon. Stealth!

So I lost count.... how many Volvos do you have right at the moment?

I think you also need to buy a 740 turbo and get all the turbo kit, engine management, intercooler etc off that...

Not very Froggie but I absolutely approve of your actions.
    Volvos are very French in their own way, having 'sufficient' power, are understated, solid as a rock, and their owners 'get them', whereas others simply don't get it.

Disturbing that you need to find your wife a good body though

Dave
    LeMansTragic, COL and bigkev414 like this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

COL

I like your thinking, its a good way to get a great car at a bargain basement price.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    I like your thinking, its a good way to get a great car at a bargain basement price.
    Or a bundle of trouble as an AF member's son found out after buying a Ovlov, after they were highly praised on AF. I recall this one was previously owned by a family friend.

It was subsequently replaced with Subaru Wagon.

Purchases like this are always condition specific decisions. And IMO generalizations are unwise.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Great cars mate. We still have my grandpas 122S and my wife's C30 T5-R was bullet proof. Love the old skool box shapes given all cars pretty much look the same these days.

Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

COL

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Or a bundle of trouble as an AF member's son found out after buying a Ovlov, after they were highly praised on AF. I recall this one was previously owned by a family friend.

It was subsequently replaced with Subaru Wagon.

Purchases like this are always condition specific decisions. And IMO generalizations are unwise.
    The OP has two cars; one with a good body and one with a good motor, should be able to make a very good car out of the two.

What could possibly go wrong??
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Volvos are very French in their own way, having 'sufficient' power, are understated, solid as a rock, and their owners 'get them', whereas others simply don't get it.
    Dave
    Yes, with same transmission, even their forum threads sound the same Jerky Shifting in xc60 (2011) 60K miles - normal? and follow a familiar sequence as they move towards the inevitable solution

Been on a Volvo binge-volvo-transmission.jpg

Lucky yours is an older Volvo

1000+ Posts

Your wife loves it and you are prepared to keep the Volvo up to the mark. All good and shows the old guys faith was well placed. Keep us posted

IWS

I was the one that Rob made reference to - whose son had a bad experience in buying an old 240 as his first car. My brother is a mad-keen (deluded?) fan of old Volvos and we listened to him talk them up. End of the story ... it became a money sinkhole, as it just had too many problems that were beyond the capacity of a back-yard fix-up (as old cars can do ...).

He eventually sold it to the wreckers for $150 and bought a genuine one-owner 1993 (same age as him ) Subaru - which is easy for him to service himself, and has been a trouble-free runner.

I'd not buy an old Volvo again after that experience - but Cam85, it looks like you have the makings of a good one there, and the mechanical capacity to hold it all together. If you could find use for a virtually new radiator and top hose for the 240 (we salvaged these before the wreckers took the car ...) they are yours for the cost of freight. Would you like them?Been on a Volvo binge-20180123_183615_resized.jpg

Ian.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Put a decent motor in it. I asked my uncle does he know if his old 244 slugomatic is still around (baby poo colour). He said it is ... down in Melbourne. He had put a 3.5litre Rover V8 in it. It sounded absolutely spectacular ... and absolutely flies. It would have to be 30years ago he did that conversion, and it's still running around!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

All done before the days of Vic Road's interest in modified cars.

I shudder to think of the process necessary to get a car of that ilk legally on the roads today.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post

...and bought a genuine one-owner 1993 (same age as him ) Subaru - which is easy for him to service himself, and has been a trouble-free runner.

Ian.
    Despite the not so inconsequential “spot” of rust

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by graham66 View Post
    Well observed Sir! Shot me down in flames you did ...

I should have said, despite the "little" problem of rust in the back pillar, easy for him to service himself, an otherwise trouble-free runner...
    Last edited by IWS; 24th January 2018 at 05:19 PM.

I would suggest an appropriate reply would be:
    let he who cast the first stone be without sin

1000+ Posts

You’d let your son drive that? Spare me.

Spare me.
    Is that a request to the "big boss" ?

Hey, he said "runner", not inox.

And there's nothing wrong with rust.

I had a rust bucket R17 - nothing structural, mind you (which is a rare thing in Renos) that ran flawlessly for quite a few years until the MC let go. By then it had lost the extra high beam lights, the front passenger seat (replaced the driver seat) and quite a few bits of trim. The power windows worked very well, though. And the engine still lives to this day, long after the rest of the car is gone.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 25th January 2018 at 07:17 AM.
    IWS likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

If I were not driving a froggie, I would be driving a Volvo (or maybe a Skoda - Superbe V6 AWD).

After losing count at 12 the number of times I have been to Sweden, seeing them not only in their native country but the environment and mentality in which they came to be, it seems like a fairly natural choice.

A year ago I got an early XC90 for a visiting Swedish family - 3 kids, 6 large bags, 5 small bags. I literally never knew that there could be so many things wrong with the one car. You name it, it could go wrong. And either already had, or ended up doing so.

But I would still get another, and still covet them each time I see one, which is often.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon16 View Post
    I literally never knew that there could be so many things wrong with the one car. You name it, it could go wrong. And either already had, or ended up doing so.
    This was my son's experience with the 240. I could not believe - with what was supposed to be a simple and solid car - how many things could and did go wrong. Turned me off Volvos - old and new - forever.

Ian.

On the other hand my wife's C30 T5-R that we bought second hand and drove everywhere for 5 years didn't require anything other than servicing. Similar our 122S has over 580k mikes on the clock and never lets us down - although it's about due for a rebuild. Reliability of second hand cars largely depends on the maintenance and life they had before you, much more so than the brand.
    alhantos and lozenge like this.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!

I pulled an '83 240 out of a 7 year long slumber, drained the fuel tank, did fluids, replaced a few K-Jet hoses and proceeded to do 15,000km's in it before selling it for a grand (with lots of rego, mind you.)

It had 560,000km's on it when I got it, but the odo never worked so who knows how many it really had. Solid car.

I had a 242GT a few years later, it much better condition mind you. Should have never sold that one, values now are only on the up and up.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I found a motor for the old ovlov for you .....

it should liven the wheezy old grandpas car up a bit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Been on a Volvo binge-chev.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thanks for all the replies guys.

After Ange ( the better half ) has driven her 89 wagon for the past 18 months the only thing we have done was replace the balljoints. Its not a bad car it just that the entire rear floor/beaver panel is rusted out and just cant justify the money considering what I found! If anyone wants its for cheap let me know. If your handy with a welder it shouldnt be too hard to sort.

I would love to put a big motor in it. Or even a B230FT ( which was the stock turbo motor in the 740/960 etc ). If I were ( which Im not! ) to put a motor in it it would be a toyota 2JZ and box + rear end. Its been done many times over the years. What an ultimate sleeper!

That range rover looks awesome as it. Is he selling the whole car?

I agree that Volvos and French cars have a Schtick similar to each other. Or as mentioned their drivers match their cars... You get what I mean!

Thanks for the offer for the Radiator. Its probably good protection. Ill mention it to the mech and get him to have a look. The lucky thing is that I have 3 cars to make 1 good one from so will keep it in mind.

Ill get some pictures up as soon as I can.

I serviced a lot of Volvos got more of them than I really needed as most were SH and the owners couldn't see why they were expensive to run--the reason being most of them had bad or no service record old story .
    If you buy it watch out for wiring that the insulation falls off,mainly in the harness behind the distributor and AF meter the wires short out inside the plastic sleeve and that and fuse block problems will make your wife fall out of love with the car pretty quickly.
    In the K injection in the bottom of the A/F body is a switch to turn the fuel pump on at cranking and running,[works off metering plate lifting up to allow relay to trigger]same symptoms as 505 with no cranking signal to trigger relay-- matter of fact I think they shared the same relay -and its solder faults.
    I used to make up the in ignition looms as they were over $400 ea and Volvo never had 'em in stock.Other wise you are going to get into guessing games the same as plaintiff 505 owners on this site.Oh and the parkers running fulltime cook the light bodies and fall to bits.
    If you buy one I have a set of tools I'll sell to change the tappet shims as they have their own peculiar variable adjustment system,you would be able to still buy these shims, as I think they fit a Mazda diesel of some sort.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information