space saver tyres
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Icon4 space saver tyres

now this i found to be a very interesting read

Advertisement

for those that have these in their cars i think you should read this article

space saver
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    now this i found to be a very interesting read
    for those that have these in their cars i think you should read this article
    space saver
    Everybody seems to hate them ... yet more and more cars have them ... personally I don't like them when I'm outside the metro area, it's a long drive between drinks in WA.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

This is hardly news, is it?

Look at some of this story, too...

"Our concern is that consumers are unaware of the increasing use of these spare wheels and secondly their performance and life limitations," Case says.
    Well, that would be a concern, but isn't it clearly stated in the owner's manual? Didn't they buy the model with the wide wheels to get the handling advantages? Is everyone that dumb?

And there's more...

"The tests show that braking and handling can be adversely affected by using these different forms of temporary spare tyres."
    Like they really needed to do any tests? Didn't they have any basic knowledge of automotive dynamics or physics?

And not simple tests, either...

The data was produced from a series of comparative tests on four vehicles fitted with the standard wheel/tyre combination and then again when fitted with three standard wheels and one space-saver on the driving axle.
    A lot of trouble they've gone to to prove that the owner's handbook is spot on... great going guys!

When I heard the news report on the radio the other day, I simply couldn't believe the stupidity of it. Now I've read this, I find it even harder...

The braking test was still interesting.

And where to you put the now flat much larger wheel when you have to use the spacesaver while of on your holiday jaunt?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by tasgill
    And where to you put the now flat much larger wheel when you have to use the spacesaver while of on your holiday jaunt?

Terry

oh c'mon

you know your not supposed to think of things like that

the car maker has already taken all that into consideration when they put the undersized tyre in there in the first place (not)
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Icon8

I suppose they'll introduce legislation at some stage to have them coloured fluoro yellow so the stupid people will have them changed sooner as it makes their pride & joy look ugly with the aim of getting the spare fixed to save us from ourselves etc.....

Thank God for studies and governments, there would be only smart people left.

Matt.
    Last edited by Ralph; 6th May 2004 at 06:46 PM.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Mine is a very bright shade of red/orange. I'm a bit annoyed that I have a space saver in the ST, the other models have a full sized spare. Why not just give me a 15"? I don't care that it has more tyre on it than the stock 17...perhaps the calipers wouldn't fit on the 15"...or the offset is different...just seems bizarre as the rim has a huge bend in it to fit the calipers in, so they've made a custom rim just for the ST. It doesn't save them THAT much...it certainly does give me any more room in the boot, the spare wheel well is the same size as a normal Focus.

It's not unlike the 306 Style that had a space saver and a "filler" so it would fill the spare wheel cage under the car...

nJm

Most of them are yellow (or red in Saab's case).

I don't have an issue with space-savers being fitted if that is actually all that will fit in the boot. However I think it is stupid when sensible cars like Honda's have space savers fitted, even though there was room for a full sized spare. Often they have to fill the extra space up with foam!

I'd still have to say the most ridiculous car to have a space-saver is the new VW Touareg SUV. Depending on the engine you choose (V6, V8 or V10 diesel) you will have anything between a 17" or 19" alloy wheel at each corner. However for those who might want added security off road, you can get a full sized spare for $2100, although it will be in a pod hanging off the tailgate.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

1000+ Posts

Its hillarious that 4wd's have them... its really just outlining the use they get!!! nothing outta the burbs!

Whats everyone's comments on puncture repair kits?
    I always carry a repair kit, air compressor, gauge etc, so i can basically plug the tyres myself & dont need to put on the spare.

The repair kit is the same stuff that you get done at any tyre place, vulcanising grease & plugs.

I realise its not good for excessive speeds (<150km/h, due to excessive heat???), but any other problems i'm not aware of with repairs?

EMC

as i've read elsewhere: They shouldn't be called "space saver's" they should be "manufacturer cost savers"
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Its hillarious that 4wd's have them... its really just outlining the use they get!!! nothing outta the burbs!

Whats everyone's comments on puncture repair kits?
    I always carry a repair kit, air compressor, gauge etc, so i can basically plug the tyres myself & dont need to put on the spare.

The repair kit is the same stuff that you get done at any tyre place, vulcanising grease & plugs.

I realise its not good for excessive speeds (<150km/h, due to excessive heat???), but any other problems i'm not aware of with repairs?
    I was reading a UK magazine (may have been EVO) in one of their long term fleet articles, that puncture repairs aren't normally warranted, and that mostly places recommend a new tyre. It sounded really weird and a scam to get people to buy more tyres, but is there a problem with shop repaired punctures?

EMC

the area around the repaired puncture would not be as strong or durable as the rest of the tire... i cant think of any other reason...
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

But the main reason Holden gives for fitting cheaper spare tyres is to stop thieves breaking into the boot to steal what is an expensive wheel/tyre combination.
    Yeh right, If you're going to steal a set of wheels, it has to be a set of five. No self-respecting thief is going to settle on just 4 wheel/tyres.

Porsche pushed hard to ensure its first off-roader -- the Cayenne -- has a space saver tyre instead of just the tyre repair kit it comes with overseas. Still, it's small consolation for those planning to use the 4WD for its desired purpose, because once you get a flat, all that off-road ability and Porsche performance is academic.
    How many owners of these Porkers are ever going to take them off the road. Still its nice to know that here in Australia that, on a $150,000 truck, we get a $200 spare wheel instead of a $10 can of Fineleak.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

WLB

I've got one of the originals brought to Australia by Goodrich for the Illinga in 1975. The principle is different from the current crop. It's fitted to a standard rim but the side-walls fold in so you have a standard width tyre but of smaller diameter. It looks like a low profile racing slick. When you inflate it, either with air or the accompanying can of CFC, it simply unfolds and grows in diameter until a relief valve built into the standard valve vents the excess pressure. When you've finished with it, you unscrew the valve using the valve cap tool and it folds up again.

Icon2

I think these kind of spare tyres are dangerous and not good. Thank god the C3 has a full apare tyre...What other french cars have normal spares?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    I think these kind of spare tyres are dangerous and not good. Thank god the C3 has a full apare tyre...What other french cars have normal spares?
    The Xsara has a full size steel spare.

Troy.

Originally posted by danielsydney
    I think these kind of spare tyres are dangerous and not good.....
    Rubbish... they are there purely as spares and should be looked upon as such... and remember, you always have to 'drive to the conditions'... and this is one of the conditions.

i think space savers are brilliant! if you own a performance car, any reduction in unsprung weight has to be a good thing surely?

Dad's 996 has a space saver that we had to use for about a week and a half, because they didn't stock P Zero's in 265/35/18s in Brisbane. Never had any trouble during that time. The only trouble was the day when we got the flat rear tyre, the thing wouldn't fit in the pin-dick little boot, so we had to put this big arse tyre into the back of a porsche, which i assure you isn't an easy task when you're trying to keep your clothes and car free from brake dust.

i have heard reports that it is against some insurance policies to drive on a space-saver past the nearest tyre outlet. i believe people have actually been refused claims because that had driven round on their space savers for a day while they waited for their tyre to be replaced at their ususal tyre dealer. pretty scary hey?

And why did they have to make claims?

One guess...

if you were using a space-saver and some old granny walked her walking frame out on the road and for some unknown reason you choose to swerve rather than mow her down and you hit a pole and need to make a claim, would you not be pissed if you got denied because you were using a space-saver? i think so.

its all well and good saying people aren't driving to the conditions, but genuine accidents do happen, and i think its pretty piss-poor that insurance co's will snub you for that reason.

still reckon they are the best invention ever.
    only problem is that on my new car if i get a front flat i have to put a rear on the front and then the space saver on the back, cause the little one won't fit over the front brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Peugeot: 206, 307, 406, 607 all have full sized spares. Every car except 206 GTI180 and CC models.

The whole Xsara range has full sized spares. I'm pretty certain the Clio range does, even the RSC. The C5 range does. I'm not certain on the Megane, but the Laguna most probably does. Renault Scenic does too, at least the RX4 does.

1000+ Posts

Yeah those granny's with walking frames can really come outta nowhere...
    Fast movers those ones! Had one take me at the lights the other morning coming to work.

Drive to conditions, as always & it'll all be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Peugeot: 206, 307, 406, 607 all have full sized spares. Every car except 206 GTI180 and CC models.

The whole Xsara range has full sized spares. I'm pretty certain the Clio range does, even the RSC. The C5 range does. I'm not certain on the Megane, but the Laguna most probably does. Renault Scenic does too, at least the RX4 does.
    I'm pretty sure the 206 GTi (non 180) has a space saver spare, at least newer one's I've seen.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    I'm pretty sure the 206 GTi (non 180) has a space saver spare, at least newer one's I've seen.

Troy.

i have heard that the newer 206 GTi's have the space saver where as the earlier ones have a normal size mag spare

well i know that my mothers car has a full sized mag as a spare and she has seen the newer ones that have the space saver and she was glad she didn't wait to get hers as she didn't want a space saver excuse for a spare in her car

my opinion is that i think the space saver should not be allowed but that is entirely my opinion

i have always had a spare as near as the same as what is on the road in my cars and there is no way i would have something like a space saver as a spare especially when living out here in the bush

now according to the article these space savers generally are only good for around 400km's, now i would like to know if they comply to the normal requirements of normal road tyres in that do they displace at least 6L of water at 100km/h ??

now i know you are limited to 80km/h but do they have similar specs or not ?

now if i was out between towns here and destroyed a tyre and had to put a space saver on i reckon there is not a good chance that it would make it to the nect town with the conditions on the roads

it is bad enough now dodging the holes in the road with normal tyres with grip on the car and i manage to miss them all but with a space saver and the lack of dynamics from such i wouldn't like to try it

i'll continue with my full sized spares and keep carrying a repair kit in the car with the air compressor as this has saved me a few times from even having to take the wheel off the car

all the truckies carry these kits as well and so does just about every earth moving machine i know off
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information