New Zealand is Great
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New Zealand is Great

Default New Zealand is Great

You should all go visit some time!

I'm on holiday in the South Island. Arrived into Christchurch, caught the train over the hill to the West coast (Greymouth) where we picked up the fastest car in the world (Reno blue, Toyota Yaris automatic hatchback) and despite petrol here being as dear as Coke-a-Cola ($2.20 per litre) we are having a ball.

We just arrived into Queenstown and hec, the drive from Say Okirito on wards was just met with "WOW's" "Holly Crap Look at That"

The road quality here is also great! And despite the apparent holiday traffic, the road culture is pretty good here with slower things happily getting out of the way of the Yaris.

Do yourself a favour and before you die, drive from Wanaka over the hill (don't take the highway) into Queenstown. I'm seriously thinking about waiting for the misses to go to sleep so I can go do it again. Just amazing, just amazing. There are probably a couple of youtube vids out there to give you an idea of the thing but heck. So gooood!

Advertisement

Anyway, enough gloating and cheering for this place. It really is fantastic, get over here!

Dan (whom is now trying to work out how to move here)

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Yep the Sth Island is an amazing part of country and you have picked a great road trip, the train to Greymouth must have been a interesting option. Have driven from CHCH to Reefton and Greymouth a tonne of times and even ridden mountain bikes from Picon to Nelson through the mountains as get away from mobile phone coverage.

The Crown range to Wanaka is a great drive, used to be a no no in a rental car until it was sealed. Its also the road that ended Possom Bornes life and he wasn't even racing so watch yourself on many on the NZ highways.

We were there last week, had a great drive from Auckland to Tauranga in a Suzuki Swift, very thrifty and it needed to be at their current petrol prices, rural was down to $1.97, city was $2.04.

I.m still trying to work out how to get back home and make a living

Enjoy your holiday and beautiful country of the long white cloud

Dimi

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Yep, NZ's south island is beautiful. As is the north island but the west island is best...

Fellow Frogger!

Worth the trip across the Lake in the 1920's steamer from Queenstown. The meal as part of the package is something to remember.
    bowie likes this.

UFO

We "did" a fair whack of the south island in 2011. Two couples travelling so we hired a Previa (Tarago) to ensure we had good luggage space. It was no "driver's car" of course but it went well enough. A bonus was that all of us had good seats and views. The girls rode and chatted in the back and boys up front - with some chatting. Bags were in the rear with the back seat folded. I took an old sheet to cover the luggage each day.

At lake Wanaka a visit to the car and plane (and everything else!) museum at the airport is well worth a few hours. SOOOO much to see there.

If going to Milford Sound take LOTS of mozzie repellent stuff as the sand flies (midges) are bastards.

Roads, views, people, food and coffee are all great!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Less than a month to go to RAID NZ 2018. You guys are just whetting the appetite!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

If you are going to the North Island you must visit the All British Museum near Napier on the road to Buccaneer Point. While they are all British they represent cars we never received here in Aus as well as many we did get but the owner is a treasure and you get a personal tour [ it is not just cars ] The 15 or 20 Morris Minors were a highlight.

Sadly not making the north island this trip, what a perfect excuse to come back again.

Pottsy, if you haven't been over here before you are going to love it. As UFO describes, food, coffee, people, roads and views, it's all here

It has also been fun train spotting the Japanese domestic market cars we don't get. Aforementioned Tarago's with weird front ends, a sputtering of Kei vehicles from different marquees, and all the oddly named regulars, Legacy instead of Liberties etc. Cool station wagon variants of Skylines, and Corona's oh! and the proper Mistibishi wagons, Turbo Legnums (a Gallant VR4 station wagon). Perhaps this is but what our domestic market will look like eventually

But anyway. Another eve watching the kids drinking beer on the beach being teased by ducks as the sun sets in the bay, Lovely place.

Tomorrow we pack up and head towards Te Anau which will be our base for the remainder of the time. To Milford Sound and the national parks around Looking forward to it.
    dimistyle likes this.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

PS bowie, the Subaru Legacy is not the Jap import name they have always been named Legacy, I laughed when I moved to AU and my cousin drove a Liberty I had to ask have they always had that name?. The Jap import Subaru's have the weird and wonderful engine and performance parts!

I did have a laugh more recently at all the people mover vans in their bizarre names and shapes.

Also so many Jap imported Jaguar's, Porsche's and Maserati's, not a lot of French cars though

1000+ Posts

Sounds like very little has changed since I last visited, even down to the attractions, surely there must be some new touristy things or newer museums and the Milford sound sand flies who love tourists from anywhere. Good that the scenery is wonderful as it was and don't mention sheep and gumboots.....

Re Liberty / Legacy. yes but they are different to me and my world view you see

What has been cool is the surprising umber of XF, XD, etc Falcons still getting about. They look very odd next to the nearly universal Nipon fleet of cars.

And yes hardly any Frenchies, although the exception is the 406 Diesel, there seem to be enough of them kicking about the west coast

I've been keen to look out for the Cit C1 / Peugeot 107 / Toyota Agyle. I was hoping it may be on offer from the rental company, suppose they are getting to old now.

Spotted, Best car so far, on the South Island

New Zealand is Great-img_20180112_130146488.jpg

The second best car? Well it would have to be the mighty yarris hatchback. Here it is after dominating the climb up to the Remarkables Chair lift (2000~m, it was 10 degrees up there and 28 down below)

New Zealand is Great-pxk57009.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Spotted, Best car so far, on the South Island
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180112_130146488.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	102537

The second best car? Well it would have to be the mighty yarris hatchback. Here it is after dominating the climb up to the Remarkables Chair lift (2000~m, it was 10 degrees up there and 28 down below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXK57009.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	102540
    No snow on the Remarkables.

It's a great drive with chains on and buses heading the opposite direction!!

Did you head up to Cardona in Wanaka?

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Yes that is the road I'm in love with! The Cardrona Valley Road coming out at Arrow Junction, Gradual climb up from that direction and a steep decent!

The best thing ever.

And no snow. The locals are complaining about how dry it has been.

When the road went to dirt I looked at my partner and she said "be sensible" I will have to marry her now I reckon. It was intimidating enough with no traffic and good weather. With all due respect, snow, chains, and tourist busses... no fsking way!

It's a pretty place. You are looking over at Fraktown (I think)

New Zealand is Great-smupthehill.jpg
    dimistyle likes this.

Don't be tempted to go off roading, one trip we drove a brand new Outback up over the hills behind Arrowtown to Macetown an old gold digging country, what we didn't realise as we crossed a few rivers the plastic fan put a hole in the radiator from the water pressure against the fan. we were stuck in middle of no where and used river water to continually refill the radiator back to Arrowtown but the mechanic couldn't help so we drove to Queenstown Repco to buy some radiator stop leak until we could drive back to Auckland.

Lots of fun, but an expansive mistake not disconnecting the fans...

Enjoy your travels...

Oh dude I dread to ask how that ended up when you bought the vehicle back. No the little wonder Yaris will not be doing anything that adventurous. Not that crossing a river should exist as but, well they aren't made the same are they.

We went out to Milford Sound today. The insects aren't that bad, and yes, you guessed it, devastatingly pretty. It really is one of those things that is easy to go "meh" at if you are not there in the boat, looking at at the clouds, ice and mountains.

Perhaps NZ thus far can be described by the view out of the kitchen at the BnB we are cheaply renting out of Te Anau. It was cheaper to stay 3mins out of town naturally.

New Zealand is Great-kitchen.jpg

You can't even do the dishes without being reminded of this gorgeous country.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

The car survived the rubber eating Keas ?.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Those bastards are hilarious. We only saw a couple outside of the Homer tunnel. They were seemingly walking up and down the stopped cars waiting for something interesting to happen (food being thrown at them). One of them then chased an English woman around in circles much to the amusement of the rest of us waiting in our cars.

Like I understand why the Kiwi is the poster child, but the Keas are your best mate at the pub on a Sunday afternoon.

New Zealand is Great-homer-tunel.jpg

This is just outside the Homer tunnel heading toward Milford Sound (Which is not actually a sound but a Fjord, Sounds are formed by rain water cutting a V whilst Fjords are formed by Glaciers, well by frozen rivers picking up rocks and grinding them on the way to the ocean.

Anyway, the indigenous people called it Piopiotahi (translated to meaning "one bird"), thats probably a better name anyway.

Yes the place is incredible.

You all need to climb the Key Summit track.

New Zealand is Great-mountain.jpg

11/10, would visit again.
    dimistyle likes this.

12/10, will be coming back.

New Zealand is Great-pxk57277.jpg
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

I agree about the run from Wanaka to Queenstown up over the Cardrona Range Road. Did it in May 2011 and it was very nice. The descent down into Arrow Junction off the range is just spectacular and has many tight hairpin bends back and forth down and down. Great fun. See attached photo.

Quite a drive also earlier that day from Omarama over the Lindis Pass to Wanaka. Deep snow meant the road had only been opened a day or so before we went over. Glorious country, even or especially in snow. Every Aussie needs to see NZ.

New Zealand is Great-picture-086.jpg New Zealand is Great-picture-074.jpg New Zealand is Great-picture-075.jpg
    bowie likes this.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Fellow Frogger!

So much beauty for so few people.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Agree, stunning place. Unfortunately my three driving experiences have been in incredibly uninspiring rentals - a massively underpowered Legacy, an awful Nissan Tiida, and a people mover with 5 people + luggage. I'd vowed that on a future trip I would get something more worthy of the wonderful roads.
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information