Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: "Driven to write" - 2 articles on the SM and French Engines

Default "Driven to write" - 2 articles on the SM and French Engines

Well, today's great discovery is motoring journalism that I've never seen before. My wife does comment that I live under a rock!

Go to https://driventowrite.com/2014/08/11...h-car-engines/ and read a good article on French engines, and follow the comments/discussion too. It's competent and interesting, at least I think so!

https://driventowrite.com/2016/05/09/1973-citroen-sm/ is the SM article, obviously.

Now to investigate in detail!

Advertisement

Cheers
    UFO likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Another diesel hater.....

I don't remember the Douvrin engine being inferior to the various units mentioned as you move down the article. Mass market cars rarely have the sort of engineering art you find in those old expensive small run machines.

thanks John, for the introduction to Driven to Write.
    much appreciated.

JBN

I good move repainting the SM in the light blue. Stunning. Loved the Alcantara upholstery. I reupholstered a light metallic green CX in a sand coloured Alcantara with exactly the same pillowed double stitching on the seats. Looked stunning. Never hot in summer nor cold in winter nor slippery like leather. Actually, it was like sitting on Velcro in that your bum couldn't move until you had disengaged from the upholstery.

Sad to have seen the demise of Citroen by the Peugeot family, who should have stuck to making bicycles.

John
    COL likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I donít think blaming Peugeot acknowledges the general lack of interest exhibited by the ignorant(?) average car buyer.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Peugeot have made enough great cars themselves (203, 504, 205) that they
    should indeed be pilloried for what they've done to Citroen.
    Citroen had established a unique heritage over many years and their
    ongoing output should have been handled with much more intelligence, courage,
    and marketing nous. (but then Peugeot have pretty well trashed their own legacy)

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    I donít think blaming Peugeot acknowledges the general lack of interest exhibited by the ignorant(?) average car buyer.

A bit of advertising and keeping the "ignorant sods" up to speed on how French cars offer better reliability, features and lower cost of ownership than the mainstreams brands may have helped.

Many are "ignorant" because they haven't been "taught" by the advertizing.

Also a network of skilled and strategically located service agents may help.

And a consistent caring attitude about customer service, warranty matters and the brand they represent wouldn't go astray either.
    JohnW likes this.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Fellow Frogger!

The lack of advertising was surely down the the Australian distributorís general laissez faire attitude to promoting the brands, I would have thought.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    A bit of advertising and keeping the "ignorant sods" up to speed on how French cars offer better reliability, features and lower cost of ownership than the mainstreams brands may have helped.

And a consistent caring attitude about customer service, warranty matters and the brand they represent wouldn't go astray either.

There is a significant proportion that are ignorant because they believe the advertising.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

On the money, I'd say! I've had really poor experiences from one of the PSA dealers in Perth (now gone). They used to stock 2 litres of LHM. TWO LITRES...... In fairness, the local Renault folk are really good, constructive and helpful and on the odd occasions when parts are needed, they arrive. They do regard my Scenic as old (12 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but have one Irish mechanic who has worked on them.

Peugeot and Citroen win the Dakar Rally, win Le Mans, win the World Rally Championship God knows how many times and people buy Subaru WRX models because of their rally breeding, at least a decade removed from their success in the events. I think the Australian positioning of the PSA brands has been bloody hopeless for far too long. Who in Oz knows the 3008 is so highly rated elsewhere? I don't. But it is I believe.

I do think the factory-supported Audi showrooms/facilities show what can be done. And they get away with $200/hour in the workshops I am told (I don't know for sure). A friend had a $5000 exhaust failure on his Audi, bought new, but he criticises his daughter's secondhand Peugeot when the clutch wears out. All about positioning in the marketplace. Hmmpphh.

Rant over. I'll go and watch the Dakar now and cool down.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

^^^^ and apparently this is Peugeotís last Dakar
    https://www.motorsport.com/dakar/new...r-exit-973300/

Fellow Frogger!

How does one explain that a Hillman Hunter won the London - Sydney rally?.

How does one explain that a Hillman Hunter won the London - Sydney rally?.
    I knew a Peugeot mechanic in Melbourne in the 70s who had a great fondness
    for Hillman Hunters. and they sure had a long life in Iran as the Paykan,
    at one stage fitted with 504 engines.

Fellow Frogger!

Had a bit to do with two drunks in a mini taking out Lucien Bianchi when he was miles in front - a real Bradbury moment

This said, the Hunter was boring but basic and obviously well designed - made for years in Iran. Long model life usually means that you've got something right. Rootes engineering and build was generally a bit above the usual british crap ( speaking as a Pom myself )

Andrew

1000+ Posts

My father had a Minx in the 50s, the Hunter's parent. It was a well built very conventional machine that gave no trouble at all. OK on our unsealed roads. He had converted it to "four on the floor" using genuine parts. If memory serves right, the boot was full of upright spare tyre.
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I had a soft spot for the pre Chrysler period, but the Hunter left me cold as being cheaply efficient and tinny with zero character.......not that I owned one. For my Austin 1800 to be beaten by one was, to me, one of lifeís great mysteries.

I had a soft spot for the pre Chrysler period, but the Hunter left me cold as being cheaply efficient and tinny with zero character.......not that I owned one. For my Austin 1800 to be beaten by one was, to me, one of lifeís great mysteries.
    I seem to think Paddy Hopkirk could have won but went for help for Bianchi? The Hunter was very well prepared, seam welded etc, not overtuned and with two spare drivers. Not to mention Andrew Cowan.

Hunters never did it for me, but used the same formula as the Cortina and other profitable cars - dead simple, no innovation.

Nostalgia attached....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Driven to write" - 2 articles on the SM and French Engines-bianchi-ds21-1968-03.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

The 1800 had an incredibly strong (but heavy) body straight off the production line, the Hunter seemed to me the exact opposite.
    I donít think it was a case of Ďcompetition improving the breedí either.

The 1800 had an incredibly strong (but heavy) body straight off the production line, the Hunter seemed to me the exact opposite. I don’t think it was a case of ‘competition improving the breed’ either. Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    Correct on both counts! If I recall, the 1800 had the most torsionally rigid body of any car ever made at that time. I presume, Rootes being short of capital, that the Hunter was just a reshaped Super Minx or something of that ilk. I always thought all the 1800 needed was a modern, free-revving alloy engine and a higher top gear. I did a few miles in my father's Kimberley, and while you can be rude about them, it was a capable vehicle and showed part of the way to what could have been (but never was).
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

JBN

During 1973 I travelled through Iran, then ruled by the Shah. They made the Hunter there under licence. I think the name Paykan is Farsi for Arrow (but it maybe it is for the person that used the arrow - the Hunter?). When I hitched by myself from Esfahan to Teheran and back I had most rides in the Paykan. Later, when hitching with two other blokes, we only got BMWs and Mercedes. This was mainly because the successful people had good jobs with high remuneration and hence their taste in cars. They were also the people that spoke English, many having studied in the USA and understood hitchhikers. In those days, Iran had great roads and great camping areas, better than Australia at the time.

John
    JohnW likes this.

In about 1981, in Pakistan's part of Balochistan, I saw what I suppose were among the the last of the 4WD Bedfords coming to Australia via Iran and Afghanistan with young folk. I think that would have been just before it all became too dangerous. Times surely have changed in that part of the world.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information