Renault? Citroen? Peugeot?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Renault? Citroen? Peugeot?

Default Renault? Citroen? Peugeot?

I've owned mostly Citroens, and quite a few Renaults.
    Never owned a Pug, but I was very respectful of models like the 504 (and have ridden in a few Pugs).

Advertisement

Here's my question: have you owned + driven all three ? Or which ones?

I have invariably ended up with Citroens, which cars have you ended up having a loyalty with, and why?

For me Citroen just did most things better than any other, (and of course, ride comfort), but also the steering, the sure-footedness (esp at speed), braking, stability, etc.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

I've owned all three (and at least 2 of each).

Renault talks to me the best, as I like their dedication to safety, whilst having the usual French virtues.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

I've had a few Renaults and a new Peugeot, but I've yet to own a Citroen. I always liked the 5 seat Piccaso, but the new car price was scary and so if I was interested, I'd have to look out for a decent second hand one. The new C3 and C3 Aircross also look good.

In the past I've just always liked the styling of Renaults and as mentioned above, their safety credentials. Really digging Citroens new styling theme though with the C3, C3 Aircross, C4 Cactus, C5 Aircross and the Picasso.
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive
    2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    2000 Volkswagen Polo 16V 1.6L Manual Hatch - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

1000+ Posts

In terms of driver enjoyment here’s how I rank all the ones I’ve owned:

1. Citroen GS
    2. Citroen AX GT
    3. Peugeot 205 Gti
    4. Peugeot 204
    5. Renault 12
    6. Peugeot 404
    7. Renault R4
    8. Renault R8

Starting from 8th for the R8, you've had a good set of classics!!

We've had all three.

Only one Peugeot, our only ever new car, the 306 our daughter now has. Fabulous car in every way except cabin storage. It turns into corners amazingly, rides well etc etc - when new, it was cheaper than a comparably equipped Toyota and Golf, and had a higher top gear ratio and factory sunroof (n.a. on the Golf). It still drives well and the interior has proved durable.

We've had three Citroens, the CX still in the fleet and of course quite unique by modern standards. The Xantia, perhaps just a 405 on hydraulics, was just excellent, well built and reliable and the most comfortable cruiser.

We have two Renault Scenics, great cars, brilliant design with storage space everywhere and nothing comparable is available in Oz to replace them. Older Renaults? Several, the R12 Estates and R16TS all fabulously effective vehicles. Scenic interiors don't seem particularly durable - abrasion on door arm rest corners, roof lining starting to detach and only 12 years old.

I endorse the safety comment - I think the Renault Laguna was the first sedan to achieve 5-star safety and at one stage Renault had more 5-star models than Benz and Volvo combined, if I recall correctly. They did a miserably poor job of advertising this safety focus in Oz and the sales folk I spoke to in Perth didn't even know that the 'rear-end' Megane was 5-star. Not that we are looking for new, but I'd be more confident in Renault right now in Oz if we were to buy new and if it were French.

I'd buy a new Scenic but they won't offer me one!
    Last edited by JohnW; 7th January 2018 at 10:45 AM.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I guess, too, a lot is bygone ... I wouldn't buy a Citroen DS5 (even if I had the $$) and the glory days are perhaps in the past (ie CX, DS, GS, 504, 505, R16, etc).

I test drove a slew of Pugs some years ago and most were unimpressive, especially on a fast slalom twist.

I loved the R16TS, (and owned as few) but ... my girlfriend rolled one on a trip, and I always felt that cars like Renault and Peugeot were great up to pre-limit territory, but nothing had the ultimate road manners of a Citroen. Two wheels in the dirt, two on the tarmac in wet, apply brakes, take hands off steering wheel = stopped in a straight line. As I mentioned, the brakes, the steering, the road holding, etc, were fab (but that could be foggy memory). Turning headlights?.... yes please.

But I'm keen to hear about the newer marque versions, and it does seem that Renault has kept pace pretty well.

I'd love it if Citroen brought out a "modern" equivalent of the GS (small-mid size, but with real creature comforts, performance, and ride). The Xantia was pretty close to that. Great cars (mostly).

I'm still swayed by: looks, feel, comfort (seats, ride), ergonomics (some new generation cars are pretty bad), drivability, (I love a sports car, but where can you use one?), brakes, cabin comfort, NVH, etc, long journey viability (again, comfort + road manners).

So at present, (and not inconsiderably, limited by the $$) I'm quite enamoured by the C5 (but my wagon is really too big for most days). Diesel is cool (more so on trips).

The auto pilot (cruise control) is brilliant and precise, let alone very useful.
    Once upon a time:

CX 2200, 2400.
    D Special 1974
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    I've owned all three (and at least 2 of each).

Renault talks to me the best, as I like their dedication to safety, whilst having the usual French virtues.

Dave
    I've never owned or driven a talking car, but if its anything like the wife, I would put that at the bottom of my list.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Many Peugeots, a few Renaults, never a Citroen.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I've never owned or driven a talking car, but if its anything like the wife, I would put that at the bottom of my list.

John
    My last 2 Lagunas have the talking feature, I find it good comes over like a public announcement with a chime and then the message.

It only says the message once and does not keep repeating like a nagging wife.

It also saves having to scan the dash for a light that may be on after the chime.
    J-man likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by iLaguna View Post
    I've had a few Renaults and a new Peugeot, but I've yet to own a Citroen. I always liked the 5 seat Piccaso, but the new car price was scary and so if I was interested, I'd have to look out for a decent second hand one. The new C3 and C3 Aircross also look good.

In the past I've just always liked the styling of Renaults and as mentioned above, their safety credentials. Really digging Citroens new styling theme though with the C3, C3 Aircross, C4 Cactus, C5 Aircross and the Picasso.
    Youíre right about the defunct C4 Picasso.
    It just shows how badly a brilliant product can be handled by an importer.
    They should strike a klutz medal for Sime Darby.
    Iím so out of touch, I like the brown leather interior of the Aircross series also. Itís about the only thing I could see to improve our Picasso.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

I have owned all three and now drive a Mazda!
    robmac and J-man like this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Gerry, as you have the experience .... can I ask, do you just "appreciate" the Mazda, or does it give you the warm fuzzies compared to the Frenchies?
    Once upon a time:

CX 2200, 2400.
    D Special 1974
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

I'd suggest the major benefit is the easing up on the hip pocket nerve and choice of a several "milk bars" to perform quality service.
    Not to mention appliance like reliability.

Identical benefits to owning most Japanese cars.

Sometimes practicality trumps quirkiness and "orgasmic" ownership.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

I enjoyed the Honda(s) and the Audi I owned.
    I drive a C5.
    Once upon a time:

CX 2200, 2400.
    D Special 1974
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

JBN

I have only bought Citroen because they are the cheapest.

CX2400 bought $7.500 in 1984, written off in a crash in 1992. Payout from insurance $9,500 (I was trying to sell it for $7,500)

BX 19TRi swapped for 2CV imported from UK (cost GBP 1,250) in 1995. Given away with dead ZF gearbox in 2008.

BX 19TRi bought for daughter for $3,500 in 2004. Given away with dead ZF gearbox in 2009.

Xantia VSX bought for $2000 in 2009. Still going after travelling its second 100,000 kms. Had ZF gearbox filter replaced today.

2CV bought in UK for GBP 1,500 in 1993. Still my daily driver to this day. Insured with Shannons for $14,500.

John

John
    JohnW likes this.

I have owned all three over and over again lol plus lots f jap performance cars and various daily drives

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    Gerry, as you have the experience .... can I ask, do you just "appreciate" the Mazda, or does it give you the warm fuzzies compared to the Frenchies?
    It was a question of practical transport. My back has gone and I have mobility limitations so I bought a second C5 having failed to learn from the first one. That one was badly serviced in France by all three local CitroŽn agents. This one I had to take of the road to fix a number of classic CitroŽn gremlins and to keep mobile I bought a second hand Mazda6. The Mazda is easier to get in and out of. The thinner firmer seats are much more comfortable than the armchairs of the C5, the forward visibility is better for short me and I do not miss the hydropneumatic suspension at all. As important is that the Mazda can be serviced by many garages here in Tasmania whereas with the change of importer and dealerships the knowledge of older Cits is thin on the ground. I can source parts in Europe myself and when my back allows service and repair the C5 but probably not for long.
    My warm fuzzies were reserved for the real CitroŽns and faded after my last DS. The CX was tempremental transport, the XM practical in the UK. Now my jollies come from my Panhard, when I can get in it.
    lozenge and JohnW like this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Getting in and out is sort of important! That is precisely why we changed from Peugeot 306 to Renault Scenic (and wanted a car that doubled as a van!) so the Mazda makes total sense. Hope all's well in your camp Gerry, back aside of course.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Getting in and out is sort of important! That is precisely why we changed from Peugeot 306 to Renault Scenic (and wanted a car that doubled as a van!) so the Mazda makes total sense. Hope all's well in your camp Gerry, back aside of course.
    You probably would have liked the Picasso for space and ease of entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    You probably would have liked the Picasso for space and ease of entry. Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    Agreed. I did ride in one quite a way in France in their early days, but found it had a very rough ride at town speeds. I'm thinking they probably depreciate even more than series II Scenics! Great second hand buying.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Agreed. I did ride in one quite a way in France in their early days, but found it had a very rough ride at town speeds. I'm thinking they probably depreciate even more than series II Scenics! Great second hand buying.
    After the sporty Astra it rides like a limo.

JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    After the sporty Astra it rides like a limo. Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    My current standard for really nasty low speed ride is a Peugeot 508 in Peru. It was awful, and much worse that the my next ride - a Toyota Corolla! The Scenics are sort of acceptable in ride, especially at speed, but are poor compared with the Xantia they replaced. Mine you, most things are poor beside any hydraulic Citroen. I haven't had the pleasure of an Astra... I did have a Toyota Echo once as a hire car: they clearly named them "Echo" because they bounce off everything, if it is bigger and harder than a cigarette butt. Probably they never break down, but US and Voortrekker covered wagons were reliable too.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

My current standard for really nasty low speed ride is a Peugeot 508 in Peru. It was awful, and much worse that the my next ride - a Toyota Corolla! The Scenics are sort of acceptable in ride, especially at speed, but are poor compared with the Xantia they replaced. Mine you, most things are poor beside any hydraulic Citroen. I haven't had the pleasure of an Astra... I did have a Toyota Echo once as a hire car: they clearly named them "Echo" because they bounce off everything, if it is bigger and harder than a cigarette butt. Probably they never break down, but US and Voortrekker covered wagons were reliable too.
    Yeah, itís a bit difficult to make steel springs equate with hydraulics.

JBN

Also, the brake pedal on a hydraulic Citroen is below the accelerator pedal and since it only opens a valve, one can get full brakes in a much shorter time than conventional master/slave cylinder arrangements.

John

Ah, the brakes. The Xantia was superb, not least the system but the low pedal was wonderful.... Sigh.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information