Electric Race Car
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By speaksgeek
  • 1 Post By Only19

Thread: Electric Race Car

Default Electric Race Car

Is anyone building or running an electric race/track car?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

I've always thought an electric motorkhana special would be a fun toy.
    Runs are short, so no need for lots of batteries on board, or potentially even a gearbox. Good speed away from the line, and possibly torque vectoring based on steering angle and yaw sensors etc.

It seems to be that energy density vs weight is still not quite there for an affordable electric track car. Tesla's do seem to be effective drag cars though.
    Kim Luck likes this.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    NŁrburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Try this:
    White Zombie: electric-powered drag car
    Oh, and in the Formula SAE down at Calder this Dec, of the 29 entrants: 9 were EV's! Electric race cars in the various categories are now quite do-able. (Not sure about rally yet due to the range - but fast-charge standard is soon to be a max of 350kW - so soon to maybe close to petrol refuel times!
    Cheers
    Bryce

Last edited by Only19; 25th December 2017 at 03:15 PM.
    CEyssens likes this.
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

Far out thatís a fast recharge!

Iíve seen some electric drag cars and they had amazing torque and acceleration characteristics

An electric motorkhana car sounds like an excellent idea, definitely could have a single drive gear for the speed range and some interesting possibilities for tight turning

I think Iíd like to be able to do hill climb events

Fellow Frogger!

It sounds like a fast recharge, but filling a tank of petrol on a car is somewhere north of 10,000kW so even with the fastest electric charger its still taking 30 times longer and degrading the battery. For a drag machine you'd want several swappable battery packs to keep the weight to a minimum. On the other hand electric storage is great for town cars which can be gently charged over a day or two and don't travel more than 50km a day.
    406 HDi

Hi Hypermiler: your data is a bit outdated - that was for lead acid, but lithiums are very robust now. For instance, P100 Tesla's have a range of over 500km and recharge in less than an hr on a supercharger without battery degradation (earliest Tesla Model S's have lost only a few percent of their capacity in 5 years .... unlike my 2011 Leaf with the early chemistry Nissan lithium battery - which was the only mass manufacturer's one that did degrade. ) and recharge at home overnight easily. Most lithiums are also guaranteed for 2000 - 3000 recharges with the warranty stating that after this they will still have 80% of their capacity. (So good for re-purposing to home energy storage). Also EV's are much more efficient, so they don't need to take on board the amount of energy that an ICE car does, so 350kW is getting close to the refill time of ICE. (At least for a 200 - 300km distance).

However for drag racing - as you say, swappable batteries would be much easier!

Cheers
    Bryce
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

Fellow Frogger!

I'm pretty confident on my numbers, Tesla do some "magic" to hide the realities but people uncover them sooner or later:
    https://electrek.co/2017/05/07/tesla...umber-charges/
    Also the reported (and available) capacity is limited by software on many of the models:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ttery-capacity
    Along with over provisioning at build time its no surprise that owners claim to see no degradation over time, its there but just eating into the hidden capacity you never saw originally. Electric cars have many problems when fast charging and we should be looking to fit them into our lives planning to slow charge the vast majority of the time.

Official figures for the energy consumption of a Tesla S average around 20kWh/100km, 206 seconds to fill per 100km if it can sustain 350kW
    A fuel efficient car will have a comparative 4.5l/100km (various examples of prestige euro vehicles or French cars), at a full speed consumer bowser of 40l/m is just 7 seconds to fill 100km of energy.

Right there is the 30x difference (to one significant figure, 30.5x if you want to be more precise). We could pick out a truck high flow bowser and come up with a sillier number if you like.
    406 HDi

Tadpole

My 2c:
    The Tesla Semi-trailer has something like 10 charge points. In Japan, the Imievs using the 10.5Kw pack charge to 80% in 20 mins. Remember that when an EV is stationary, there is virtually no power used, (I suppose a bit like these auto-stop cars now) so they are fairly efficient.
    My Imiev however, has a degraded battery (4.5 Yrs, &0000Kms) that I am fighting to have replaced under warranty. It has had electronic issues that I think may have partly caused the battery issue.

The Imiev held the EV record up Pikes peak until recently. (not a standard Imiev tho....)

The Renault Zoe can do 400km which is pretty awesome, and has 66kW.
    More than a quarter of a million Nissan Leafs have been sold so pretty good.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

The technology is improving so fast itís great to see, thatís why Iím thinking of a budget club racer/hill climb car. Iíll have to do some more current research and Iíd be interested to see anyone elseís plans or running cars of similar nature

Only if it's French based
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Only if it's French based
    Yes indeed! Starting with a light weight small base.

Fellow Frogger!

there is a a white electric "clubman " in Canberra
    also a few home built sedans in use
    contact the Canberra EV Club for details

Thread Information