Rental cars - Hertz budget brand (Firefly). Same cars at almost half the price!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By IWS
  • 1 Post By StephineS

Thread: Rental cars - Hertz budget brand (Firefly). Same cars at almost half the price!

IWS

Default Rental cars - Hertz budget brand (Firefly). Same cars at almost half the price!

Just posting this as it may be of interest.

Advertisement

Hired a rental car in New Zealand last week. Had hunted around for prices (which are higher there than in Oz) and found Firefly rental.

Booked a car through them as the price was almost half that of Avis, Hertz, etc.

Firefly desk at the Airport was shared with Hertz, all documentation was Hertz. On looking into this more I find that Firefly is the budget arm of Hertz. Car fleet (in New Zealand at least) is the Hertz fleet - just a whole lot cheaper. In this case - Hertz quoted $915 for 5 days rental, same car via Firefly was $525 (and it was literally the same car - i.e. a Hertz car).

I'm not in any way involved with Hertz or Firefly - so not spruiking business for them. Just thought I'd share what seems to be a pretty good deal.

Ian.
    Armidillo, COL, dimistyle and 2 others like this.

It is good to get first hand feedback and a balanced view.

I had not heard of them. A quick scan of reviews shows almost universal condemnation, almost all in Europe.

A scan of the Sydney office, called Ace-Firefly, shows 5 reviews, all 1 star. My friends have used Ace there and had no issues, I was with them when they transacted.

There are certainly some rentalcar aggregators that should be avoided at all costs.

Same with insurance companies. If you heeded all the reviews, you would never ever get any insurance at all. Perhaps it is a case of choosing the least bad.

1000+ Posts

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Just posting this as it may be of interest.

Hired a rental car in New Zealand last week. Had hunted around for prices (which are higher there than in Oz) and found Firefly rental.

Booked a car through them as the price was almost half that of Avis, Hertz, etc.

Firefly desk at the Airport was shared with Hertz, all documentation was Hertz. On looking into this more I find that Firefly is the budget arm of Hertz. Car fleet (in New Zealand at least) is the Hertz fleet - just a whole lot cheaper. In this case - Hertz quoted $915 for 5 days rental, same car via Firefly was $525 (and it was literally the same car - i.e. a Hertz car).

I'm not in any way involved with Hertz or Firefly - so not spruiking business for them. Just thought I'd share what seems to be a pretty good deal.

Ian.
    Yes. But was it the FASTEST Car you ever 'drove'??
    27of85 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Expensive rentals in NZ? Perhaps if you only go with the international majors, but they have a very competitive market of local companies renting out JDM imports. We've gone as low as $20 a day fully insured:
    Cheap Car Hire New Zealand | A2B Car Rentals
    http://www.acerentalcars.co.nz
    They're super up front about the rates and even offer discounts for unpopular repositioning/relocation routes.
    406 HDi

Fellow Frogger!

Also just returned from over the ditch and used Thrifty on the north and Budget on the south. No problems but missed sat=nav as it is an extra. Almost new Trax did not even have sat-nav as standard. Found the $2-21 per litre petrol a little steep. Rav4 on the south island was quite thirsty.

Thread Information