Paint stripping - DIPPING or blasting ?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Paint stripping - DIPPING or blasting ?

I have just had my 203 restoration project dipped by the new proprietor of a business I used previously for stripping. The last job was done well and since then others have had good results. Not so now with the new proprietor , he claimed he could do ALL the car , when he claimed to have finished a plimsoll line was visible about 40 mm under the peak of the roof - no issues with air lock - with all the original paint that was there when he got the job , and about 70% of the proof coating was still under the car ( previous dipper had got it all off ) To avoid legal issues and to get the car back I have paid him and now am looking for recommendations as to other dippers or blasters to have the job done properly . I believe there may be a dipper in Adelaide ( anyone used him - OK -?) or a blaster in Melbourne outer east ? To give the dipper his due SOME of the panels were well done and the job looked well done until you looked closely.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default Blasting/Dipping

Sodablast in Ringwood are good but expensive ( $3K to blast and prime a mini shell , more for bigger)
    Shane: 0418808671
    50 Palmerston Rd East
    Ringwood

You get the car back epoxy primed, so you don't have a great rush to get paint on it

Another newer way is hydroblasting with garnet in which they put 2% phosphoric acid in the liquid, which stabilises the surface for about 24-48 hours so you have some time to get the first coat on. This has the advantage that media are non toxic so they can do it at your place.

Talking these choices over with my body guru he made the point that dipping only works safely for single pieces of metal - in any complex structure with welds and lapped joints the process removes the zinc protective coating in the joints as well and the end galvanising process does not reliably penetrate into the finer gaps, leaving a rust trap unless one gets into it very early with fish oil or suchlike.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
    I have just had my 203 restoration project dipped by the new proprietor of a business I used previously for stripping. The last job was done well and since then others have had good results. Not so now with the new proprietor , he claimed he could do ALL the car , when he claimed to have finished a plimsoll line was visible about 40 mm under the peak of the roof - no issues with air lock - with all the original paint that was there when he got the job , and about 70% of the proof coating was still under the car ( previous dipper had got it all off ) To avoid legal issues and to get the car back I have paid him and now am looking for recommendations as to other dippers or blasters to have the job done properly . I believe there may be a dipper in Adelaide ( anyone used him - OK -?) or a blaster in Melbourne outer east ? To give the dipper his due SOME of the panels were well done and the job looked well done until you looked closely.

1000+ Posts

Many jobs I have seen look great from a distance...."..get a little bit closer...and you Will see" sounds like an old song...soda blasting ???

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-L22 using aussiefrogs mobile app

If you research soda and hydroblasting most experts conclude it is not the most appropriate media for stripping bodyshells and panels for resto’s.
    KB

Shane at Northern Blasting was recommended by the Colorex stripper but I have my doubts about the after effects of soda blast , material left in cracks to affect the finished paintwork , but have now located the Adelaide dipper , "Minus Paint "at Wingfield , his web site shows that he does a job comparable to the previous proprietors of the dipping business in outer east. I have now manually stripped the paint left on the top 40 mm and have removed a small quantity of the proof coat left from the dipper ( enough to fill a 3 litre container ! )

Thread Information