To 205 or not to 205...that is the question!
  • Register
  • Help

Default To 205 or not to 205...that is the question!

A bit of a hypothetical that may or may not come to anything.
    We have a BX 16V that was a burn out victim sitting in our backyard. One of my sons has it in his head he may turn this into a track car; well, that was the reason he bought it anyway.
    The thing is, it may be a better proposition simply dropping the guts of it into a 205 & using that as a track car as the BX is a declared Statutory write off so can never be re-registered but as the 205 GTi seems to have almost cult status & therefore a sometimes ridiculously high resale even after a bingle is it a proposition to buy say an Si and do the conversion that way instead.
    Being a died in the wood Citnut, I prefer the idea of the BX getting the full treatment as I reckon the suspension options using stiffer sway bars & fiddling with spheres offers a much better and wider range of options for various track conditions but what is the difference between the GTi & Si as regards set up?

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    but what is the difference between the GTi & Si as regards set up?

Alan S
    Completely different wishbone arrangement. Guards are different too. If you're going to go fast, look for a GTi.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks Peter; that's fair enough, that answers the question.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I've got a very straight and clean 87 GTi rolling shell just crying out for a 16v conversion, even have a disc rear end and power steer setup for it. The battery has even been moved into the boot ready to complete the conversion.........
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1000+ Posts

The SI however with the 16v lump in it would be a great track weapon IMO as it is lighter than a Gti...also would be a great sleeper too !!
    The Si handles very well and with a few gti bits [sway bars etc ] could nearly be the equivalent IMO
    They are also cheaper to buy considering you are getting a later car EG;
    1992 Si for $4-$6k 1992 gti $6k+

My 2c worth+gst cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v
    The SI however with the 16v lump in it would be a great track weapon IMO as it is lighter than a Gti...also would be a great sleeper too !!
    The Si handles very well and with a few gti bits [sway bars etc ] could nearly be the equivalent IMO
    They are also cheaper to buy considering you are getting a later car EG;
    1992 Si for $4-$6k 1992 gti $6k+

My 2c worth+gst cheers jr

The SI sway bar is bigger than the GTIs, because of the stiffer springs in the GTI.
    I would say that it wouldn't be hard to install a GTI cross member and suspension parts. You would need to uprate the rear torsion bars also, although the SI rear suspension ride-wise is superb.
    I have 14 inch 405 rims on my SI and there is plenty of clearance. The car handles exceptionally well by the way, and would be better than a GTI on gravel.
    However, if you want to use it on the racetrack the GTI setup is the way to go.

Graham Wallis

Graham the GTI and Si had the same rear end trailing arm set up no?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Graham the GTI and Si had the same rear end trailing arm set up no?
    Yes, but definitely softer spring rates.
    I don't know about the situation regarding sway bars, can anyone shed light on this?
    My car rolls a bit at the rear, but I also think the torsion bars are set a little high, I'll look into this after I fit the Quaife Diff, this is happening next Monday.

Graham

Dare to be different... go with the BX and see if you can show some of the 205 guys skills they don't have.

As for resale value, are you building it for yourself or to resell? And what if it gets totalled on the track? Which would be the greater loss?

The BX being not registerable leaves you with the hassle of trailers and tow vehicle for the occasional fun day. Much better a 205GTI (Matts possibly) that can be used between track days and such, and negates the expense of a trailer.
    Last edited by alan moore; 6th May 2004 at 02:13 PM.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thread Information