• 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 3 Post By renault8&10
  • 3 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: Free Sydney Rego. . .

Icon3 Free Sydney Rego. . .

If you are using Toll roads and paying $25.00+ a week. . .

Advertisement

Sydney toll road users to get free car rego after spending $25 per week - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Cheers
    Chris
    danielsydney likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

It says an average, so presumably a $1300 pa spend on tolls (which isn't hard to reach) will get the rego tax off. The green slip will still hurt.

Someone's listening to the gripes. I'd rather the licences to print money came out of the road contracts - like built-in annual toll hikes.
    Last edited by seasink; 20th November 2017 at 03:15 PM.

JBN

Since I currently get free Rego, I wonder if I could get free toll road use to encourage me to use them?

John
    jaahn likes this.

I'd stay quiet: you may be required to pay tolls.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Since I currently get free Rego, I wonder if I could get free toll road use to encourage me to use them?

John
    Its dotty old pensioners like you that make it expensive for the rest of us JBN!
    jaahn, Kenfuego and CXVingtCinq like this.
    KB

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Its dotty old pensioners like you that make it expensive for the rest of us JBN!
    Ask not for whom the road tolls, it tolls for thee.

I just wobble around the back streets in a 2CV.

John

Sadly I don't qualify for this concession either.
    My daily commute is on non-toll roads, it is only about 3-5km each way though.

I have stopped going to car club meetings since the re-intro of the M4 toll however.
    KB

1000+ Posts

Hi
    And once again those of us who don't live in Sydney see the Gov ignoring the rest of the state at our expense
    Jaahn
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Didn't know you had any toll roads in Newie jaahn?

Still your upcoming weekend will prove to be exciting and financially rewarding for Novacastrians.
    KB

Tadpole

Wouldn't be popular with country voters but you do have to feel sorry for the city motorists who get hit from all sides. It won't spread south of the border, the motorist seems to be the chosen milking cow in that state. Although negotiating the maze of Melbourne toll roads should qualify anyone for a government grant.

1000+ Posts

Are any of these tolls private/overseas owned? Why would the govt want to prop them up? What’s in it for NSW?

Quote Originally Posted by graham66 View Post
    Are any of these tolls private/overseas owned? Why would the govt want to prop them up? What’s in it for NSW?
    I was looking at that yesterday Graham, it appears Transurban own most of the toll roads in Aus, from what I could see they are an Australian company employing over 1500.

There should be some benefit in encouraging commuters to use the toll roads, freeing up the alternate non toll routes. I would think Transurban would be responsible for maintenance and upgrades to their infrastructure which in turn eases cost to taxpayers via government?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Actual rego costs are not that great compared to the escalating CTP costs.

And I'm sure many of the motorists using the Toll Roads in peak hours would move faster by foot.

Many non toll roads are also getting beyond tolerance...I think it was 15 mins at one set of lights yesterday with only 3 cars in front of me.

There is no doubt that the housing density increases in many suburbs is allied to increased road usage, (and obviously its worse in the older suburbs with narrow, single lane widths and a lot of traffic lights).
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

1000+ Posts

There should be some benefit in encouraging commuters to use the toll roads, freeing up the alternate non toll routes.
    A reason these roads are so expensive is the range of sweeteners offered by government to the likes of Transurban to run them. One of the frequent sweeteners is to further congest or restrict or traffic light alternative routes, so we finish up with a multiplicity of car parks.

It's the same thinking as has brought us overpriced electricity.
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    Actual rego costs are not that great compared to the escalating CTP costs.

And I'm sure many of the motorists using the Toll Roads in peak hours would move faster by foot.

Many non toll roads are also getting beyond tolerance...I think it was 15 mins at one set of lights yesterday with only 3 cars in front of me.

There is no doubt that the housing density increases in many suburbs is allied to increased road usage, (and obviously its worse in the older suburbs with narrow, single lane widths and a lot of traffic lights).
    One thing that has not been clarified is that it also may not be completely free - I would imagine the exemption would just be the registration fee itself, not the taxes and levies etc that also get added in to give you your total registration costs per year with the RMS/Service NSW (delete whichever it is no longer called this week).
    KB

1000+ Posts

Many companies look like they are owned by ,"Such...and Such"...in fact is smoke and mirrors...e.g....if you find the truth...app 70,% of the U.S....is owned by one Family...

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-L22 using aussiefrogs mobile app

VIP Sponsor

Surely nearly eveyone would get free rego, I pay way more than $25 a week. Politicians really have no idea.

1000+ Posts

No they won't. The beneficiaries will mostly be those whose daily work journeys are between the western and eastern halves of Sydney. Some of these journeys are long, and involve multiple etag tolls. Gladys has an election gripe from outer electorates in mind.

Most people from the inner half would stay within their region or use public transport.
    Last edited by seasink; 22nd November 2017 at 09:27 AM.

VIP Sponsor

Still a huge number of people though.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    A reason these roads are so expensive is the range of sweeteners offered by government to the likes of Transurban to run them. One of the frequent sweeteners is to further congest or restrict or traffic light alternative routes, so we finish up with a multiplicity of car parks.

I really have no idea of the traffic situation in Sydney so can't comment. Brisbane has a way to go and although we have bottlenecks at peak times, traffic does flow on the non toll roads - interestingly we do notice a huge drop in traffic during school holidays, parents doing the school drop/pickup in peak hours with a typical cross city commute being 15/20 minutes quicker. Transit lanes have been a disaster here with most being abandoned.

This blogger agrees with your thoughts but his solution to 'Avoid Toll Roads' and send them broke is as fanciful as avoiding petrol companies with above average fuel prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by CARR
    Not only that, governments have embarked on a policy of trying to force motorists to use tollways instead of free roads, by adopting some despicable strategies, to the detriment of taxpaying drivers. Some through roads have been blocked to force motorists to either use expensive tollways or drive a lot further than they did before those roads were blocked. Roads have been narrowed to increase congestion, so as to make motorists drive on tollways, rather than be stuck in traffic on those narrower roads. Exclusive bus lanes have been established to cut down the number of available lanes to motorists. In all, governments in collusion with toll road consortiums have been acting against the interests of drivers.
    Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

I really have no idea of the traffic situation in Sydney so can't comment. Brisbane has a way to go and although we have bottlenecks at peak times, traffic does flow on the non toll roads - interestingly we do notice a huge drop in traffic during school holidays, parents doing the school drop/pickup in peak hours with a typical cross city commute being 15/20 minutes quicker. Transit lanes have been a disaster here with most being abandoned.

This blogger agrees with your thoughts but his solution to 'Avoid Toll Roads' and send them broke is as fanciful as avoiding petrol companies with above average fuel prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by CARR
    Not only that, governments have embarked on a policy of trying to force motorists to use tollways instead of free roads, by adopting some despicable strategies, to the detriment of taxpaying drivers. Some through roads have been blocked to force motorists to either use expensive tollways or drive a lot further than they did before those roads were blocked. Roads have been narrowed to increase congestion, so as to make motorists drive on tollways, rather than be stuck in traffic on those narrower roads. Exclusive bus lanes have been established to cut down the number of available lanes to motorists. In all, governments in collusion with toll road consortiums have been acting against the interests of drivers.
    http://www.carr.org.au/toll-roads.htm

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    interestingly we do notice a huge drop in traffic during school holidays, parents doing the school drop/pickup in peak hours with a typical cross city commute being 15/20 minutes quicker.
    The roads are designed to be in congestion during peak hours, each extra vehicle added causes more delay than the previous one added and it all grinds to a halt. School holidays don't have a big change in the number of vehicles on the road but the small changes (from people going on holiday with their kids too) of vehicles makes big changes in the flow.

Roads are great when no-one else is using them so the problem is how to convince everyone else not to use the road when you want to. Perhaps: free public transport? road tolls that increase as congestion gets worse? not having most people start work/school at 8-9am?

As you say ride sharing and transit lanes just don't seem to work.
    406 HDi

JBN

I have a DVA card that gives me free public transport - Newcastle - Nowra- Lithgow. My wife has a pensioners OPAL card with a daily limit of $2.50. Using the Sydney Trains website and typing in our home address and our destination address gives use times to leave and times to arrive.

Where possible (particularly for critical appointments or those require alcohol to be sociable) I use public transport. Cheap, air-conditioned (unlike the 2CV), and more likely to meet scheduled arrival times than our road system. Living in Sydney's south, in Godszone - The Shire, there are no toll roads, but in lieu, most of the roads are fairly good, even in peak hour. I can get south to Melbourne without needing any toll roads. Using the Heathcote Road, I can join the M5 to Campbelltown without having to pay tolls. Traversing for SE Sydney to NW Sydney (Windsor) can be done without toll roads, as SE Sydney to Hornsby and the Central Coast can be done. Sydney Airport is usually done using rail (which does require an $11 fee to exit/enter the railway station at Domestic or International).

In short, I can traverse Sydney with no wallet but both bum cheeks in very close contact.

John

1000+ Posts

As long as you live near a station and are heading to a destination near one (have you been to the northern beaches lately?), John. The Shire helps too, but most of us don't live there, nor do most work journeys come from or go there.

When I have had to go to or through Sutherland it involves a toll and a very slow trip.

JBN

As long as you live near a station and are heading to a destination near one (have you been to the northern beaches lately?), John. The Shire helps too, but most of us don't live there, nor do most work journeys come from or go there.

When I have had to go to or through Sutherland it involves a toll and a very slow trip.
    The latter is organised by The Shire Chamber of Commerce so that you can appreciate the lovely locality and surroundings we of a higher order have.

John

Thread Information