Car Bra - Group Buy
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    1000+ Posts

Default Car Bra - Group Buy

Technical & Performance? well its an accessory i spose!

I'm going to get a car bra for my little RenaultSport Clio & i'm sure a few of you that do some driving can see the benefit!

I've got a mate that knows some good guys in Marrickville "Robco Products" & if there's not one for the Clio, then they'll make it up!
    His Audi TT Cost $315, so if we group buy i'm sure we can get a good deal!

Let me know if you are ready to purchase one in a couple of weeks!

Advertisement

I guess this *could* be technical, but Froggy Chat may have fit better. How will the bra work with the Xenons? Xenons are very sensitive to dirt (hence the washers), so how will they be shining through plastic? I imagine they're scatter the light and make them less effective, but I guess only the bra makers would know...

Be careful of increased scratches because of the bra. The car needs to be clean before you put them on, if it's not then you could be doing more damage.

Do you have that many chips on your car?

XTC

The 407 may need a DD bra cause of it's overhang .. but the Clio ?
    Are you getting heaps of stone chips ? ...
    How to make a not so pretty car, even less pretty IMHO.

Also if dirt gets underneigth and it's not 100% attached firm, the movement can cause the car bra to act like a sheet of sandpaper ... good-bye duco.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I used a Robco bra on my 306 S16 for five years and I can tell you they don't scratch the paintwork. As mentioned you need to wash the car before fitting, plus I always washed the bra after each use.

PS: My 306 was Cherry Red - so any scratching would have shown up.
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

I had one on my mirage also, and it never scratched the paintwork. I'm sure with Nate being as pedantic as he is about his car - he'd be ensuring the car is washed prior to applying the bra.

I've got a couple of stone chips on my bonnet, it comes down to where you drive every day. Mine probably has accumulated more than others due to a LOT of trucks driving in my area, with debris falling off, etc etc. The car bra is a worthwhile exercise - i just haven't had a chance to get to the makers for a template to be made up.

So when Nate comes back with a group price, i'd be interested to hear it.

Ta Nate
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

Another option would be to contact Carbra Australia ( I think www.carbra.com.au gets you to their site). They will go out and borrow a Clio to make the templates up and then freight the bra out to you.

I got one made for my ST24 that way- they went to a Ford dealer in Melbourne and arranged to borrow one- then made the bra for me and had it on my doorstep in under two weeks. The ST24 has a different front end to normal Mondeos and considering there were only 266 sold in Australia I was very impressed at their efforts.

I'm very fussy about the paint on my cars and wouldn't use the bras if they left even the slightest scratch.
    Last edited by MondeoST24; 4th May 2004 at 12:32 PM.
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

1000+ Posts

Dirt = scratches... thats pretty much common sense, of course it'll be cleaned
    Am i Getting Chips? well of course, i'm not getting it for looks... Its just for my occasional drive up north, once/twice a year

Zenons, maybe use cut outs? & have the hard plastic covers?
    either way its the paint i'm worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Dirt = scratches... thats pretty much common sense, of course it'll be cleaned
    Am i Getting Chips? well of course, i'm not getting it for looks... Its just for my occasional drive up north, once/twice a year

Zenons, maybe use cut outs? & have the hard plastic covers?
    either way its the paint i'm worried about.

Count me in nate. I just got back from my weekend out woop woop and i got some nice stone chips and the like so in cases like that it would be great!

As for reducing the xenons i have those plastic covers on mine and they work a treat just as long as you keep them clean. Which is pretty obvious!

Grant Argh thats better!

Depending on final costs and what happens within the next week, I might be in. *SHHHHH!!!!*
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

1000+ Posts

At $300+ I would have thought i'd be cheaper to re-spray the front of the car at the time of re-sale if it was going to affect the value?

I'm not 100% sure on that, but it was just a thought...

Derek.

1000+ Posts

Deka, its probably not worth ever washing your car then...

Work out the amount of time spent washing your car x number of washes x amount of $ you'd get at work or could get doing something else... Plus you'd get all the scratches out too! Its prolly worth re-spraying your car before you sell it...
    Its not about $, its about looking after what you have.

So far:
    pug 306: $315 (as there's only 1)
    RS: $295

when i get some better numbers i'll really screw the price & make em do the lot for $290ea or whatever.

It depends what is getting chipped. My bottom spoiler on the ST is peppered with chips as the injection moulded plastic is so close to the road it picks up a lot of debris (and is hard and more prone to chipping). I'd prefer to respray that once a year than to get a car bra. But that's just me as it only costs a couple hundred dollars to do that part. But if were doing your bonnet once a year, that'd get expensive. So I can see why you're doing it.

You can get custom made clear plastic film that can go on your bonnet which would assist in resisting chips and not stand out. I'll be looking at that so I always have protection, rather than just on long country drives.

So far:
    pug 306: $315 (as there's only 1)
    RS: $295
    Who ever said I was after one for a 306

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Who ever said I was after one for a 306
    So when are you getting an RSC?

Looking at a few at the moment. The S16 will be on the market shortly after I clean it up, service, tyres etc.

1000+ Posts

Deka, its probably not worth ever washing your car then...
    I guess you're right, but I enjoy washing my car so that makes it a bit different. The direction I'm coming from though is my car has heaps of stone chips across the front bar, if you look really closely. Unless you look closely though, you don't see any of them except one which is right in the middle of the front bar.

By the way, XTC, I like your 407 humour
    Derek

1000+ Posts

Linc,
    Thats the 3M product isnt it? I'd be weary about putting anything on my paint & i'm sure the finish wouldnt look as good with it on... The Bra is only for the long country trips & i show off my paintwork round the city

Brad, nice one mate! Good luck finding one...

Deka, lol... yeah on my Dark blue car they stand out like dog balls when i look at it, i know exactly where they are & they bug me...

It also saves using a spatula to get of the Locusts off ur car when you go to Dubbo, right Foxman?

Deka, lol... yeah on my Dark blue car they stand out like dog balls when i look at it, i know exactly where they are & they bug me...
    Heheheee - I am such a spastic!!! I only quickly glanced at this line, and I SWEAR I thought you said "I know exactly where they are & they hug me...

I could just imagine little stone chips on Nate's bonnet growing minature stone chip arms, and reaching out to wrap around Nate's neck, embracing him with cuddles'a'plenty.

hehehehe!!! I need my head read!
    Last edited by MY 4; 4th May 2004 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Because i'm a dumbass and keep forgetting to add a backslash after my 'quote' HTML codes. shhheeesh
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT

Nate, it's just like any decal you get from the factory. The cars I've seen it on, it's been barely noticeable. It'd be very easy to remove and put on another one after it takes a few hits. It's just an alternative... I ran bonnet protectors on the Golf and Micra and that was great, and I know they're not pretty, but they worked.

It's worth noting that you should only need protection on your bonnet as (being metal) it will have less give when a stone hits it, and therefore chips easier. You bumpers shouldn't get chips as the plastic should absorb the stone and not chip. Well, it'd be much less likely to chip.

1000+ Posts

Both mine & the ol mans cars have some good ones on the bumpers...

The little rocks would fly high, so they hit the bonnet & do small amounts of damage...
    If the little ones fly low, then the dont do any damage on the plastic as you said... but the big ones hit low! i've got 2-3 good gashes on my bumper from stones!

Dave, get some sleep.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Linc,
    Thats the 3M product isnt it? I'd be weary about putting anything on my paint & i'm sure the finish wouldnt look as good with it on... The Bra is only for the long country trips & i show off my paintwork round the city

Brad, nice one mate! Good luck finding one...

It also saves using a spatula to get of the Locusts off ur car when you go to Dubbo, right Foxman?

this year is the only time i have looked forward to winter just so the locusts die off

day time locusts
    night time roos

just can't win

but at least winter slows everything down
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Dave, get some sleep.
    You know for a fact that the amount of sleep i endure has no reflection on how stoopid i am!

If the little ones fly low, then the dont do any damage on the plastic as you said... but the big ones hit low! i've got 2-3 good gashes on my bumper from stones!
    I'd definately agree with this point. I have a few rather big gashes on the bumper also. You cannot predict the sharp angles on stones that are thrown up at the car. There's no way any type of plastic would withhold a rather sharp angled stone being hauled at it at 100km/h!! No way!

Lincoln, the other point to do with the 3M/clear plastic stuff you refer to. It would definately stop the minor chips/scratching. However, I have had stone chips that not only leave scratches - they leave dents. So if you have a thick car bra (with plenty of padding on it) - you will resist BOTH the scratches and the dents.

Now - back to cuddling some stone chips. *ahhhh* (Dave schnuggles a stone chip near by)
    Last edited by MY 4; 4th May 2004 at 09:14 PM.
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

Sure, a big rock will always cause damage. No shit!

I just thought I'd show some alternatives to using them, but if you all want to insist on trying to turn me around, then keep going. It ain't going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124

I just thought I'd show some alternatives to using them, but if you all want to insist on trying to turn me around, then keep going. It ain't going to work.

Dave some one needs a hug

What they are trying to get at is the fact that they don't want chips! I just got back from Dubbo ( insert joke here) and i got some stone chips that went down to the undercoat. I used to live in Wollongong ( insert joke here) And ive got about 9 good stone chips that look like crap. I have a mate thats a panel beater but thats not the point i want to prevent those chips when and while iam off for a tour in the RCS.

Grant!

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124

Lincoln,

Yes - of course a big rock will cause damage - and there is always a chance of it happening. This is why it's important.

No-one's trying to 'turn you around', and there's no scheme involved here dude. Your idea for using 3M is great. It's certainly a prevention for scratches and provides a non-ugly looking alternative. However, it doesn't quite provide all the protection that the guys are all looking for.

Don't take it personal Linc' & remember, no-one is attempting to change your mind. It's an open discussion.

Peace out negro's
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information