Not Froggy- but is this ethical/allowed?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Not Froggy- but is this ethical/allowed?

Bought a Mazda demo a few months ago. Came with a 2 year extended warranty. After signing away, the details were scrutinised - turns out that the extended warranty is valid only if the car is serviced by the seller. Seems that this applies to many other Mazda dealerships. Means if I move away from the area or use the local Mazda dealership to service the standard 3 warranty then the extended warranty is void. Yes I shood'of read the details before signing however swmbo was 'eager' for the car and is of a very impatient nature.....(sound familiar?). Is this the new norm? Or have I missed something?
    Amitiés a tous.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Quite common. Extended warranties are to enhance the dealer's business.

The government even has a web page - http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ft...arranties.page

"I have heard" that although Hyundais come with (whatever) warranty period, that actually booking in and having the problem(s) rectified is much harder to do. Can't say how true it is, but it does seem that a "warranty" is more like a carrot ..... worth checking out in detail (including forums?) and seeing what the realities are.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

JBN

You are probably safe with a Mazda, regardless of its warranty conditions.

John

Ha. New demo with extended warranty.

I would hazard a guess you paid new car money for an old car. That's what the extended warranties are for. A local dealer tried to pull the same trick on us. We read the brochure right there and then and found that they wanted us to pay an extra 5000$ for (at best - or worst if you will) 1500$ worth of repairs capped at no more than 500$ a year. This would have brought the price of the car back up to the then current model car new. We left the dealership and never went back.

I would read the terms and conditions at least now and see how much they'll pay for repairs and how much they'll do per year.
    Then you can use the extended warranty for what it's worth. Drive the car hard so if anything breaks, it breaks under warranty and you have it fixed.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 16th November 2017 at 03:35 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

By law all goods sold in Australia must be 'fit for purpose' regardless of what wording is in the warranty document.
    If something major goes wrong in a 3 - 6 year old car you have recourse to have the problem fixed at no or little expense to yourself whether it's under warranty or not. The car dealer or the manufacturer will scream and kick the whole time and it may end up in court but it is Australian Consumer Law.
    If it's a self-inflicted problem then of course it's tough titties and no warranty is going to help, statutory or extended.
    But if you do have extended warranty, read it very thoroughly (before you sign up). Most have many exemptions or only cover certain parts so are practically useless (e.g. gearbox cover is only for the 'oily bits' and does not cover computer, solenoids, reprogramming, etc). A lot don't cover labour either so the repairer hikes the labour charge to cover the parts costs. The word 'warranty' is very broad in it's application and what it means to a buyer and a seller is miles apart.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Many thanks to all who replied and offered advice.
    "problem" now solved with the aid of a friend of a friend. Had a little fireside chat with the good people at - can I mention them?
    Brookvale Mazda. They'll assist with the extra warranty thingy. They also get to service the car for the remaining 2 years of normal warranty (normal eh?).
    Mr Moderator may we now consider this topic closed?
    Regards
    Lou

Thread Information