Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 2 Post By David S
  • 2 Post By JBN

Thread: NSW blue slip

Fellow Frogger!

Default NSW blue slip

As I purchased a car interstate I now have to get a blue slip to register in NSW. What are the differences over a pink slip? I haven't had to get a blue before so I'm not sure what I should be checking before taking the car in.

Advertisement

Tadpole

Blue slip requires a check on Vin And Engine numbers , year of build etc
    Must also be roadworthy as with Pink Slip.
    Costs more too..around $60.
    Not all rego check places can do Blue Slips.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger

As PugBaz notes, very few pink slip/eSafety inspectors can also do the blue slip inspection. The local RTA/RMS/(or whatever Gladys has decided to call it this week) can give you a list of local blue slip inspectors. Maybe, ask a friendly local mechanic which one might have some experience with the type of car you have bought, which may make your life easier. They can be very picky and list defects the pink slip might not fail you on. It's the same process for any car that hasn't been registered in NSW within the last 3 months.

To cover yourself, make sure you check on the legal and insurance requirements for driving the unregistered car to and from the inspection.

Fellow Frogger!

It's registered in the ACT I just need to convert it to NSW which requires a Blue slip, receipt of sale and a new rego form. Once I get that I take in the old plates and get some nice new ones once I had over a wad of cash

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    As PugBaz notes, very few pink slip/eSafety inspectors can also do the blue slip inspection. The local RTA/RMS/(or whatever Gladys has decided to call it this week) can give you a list of local blue slip inspectors. Maybe, ask a friendly local mechanic which one might have some experience with the type of car you have bought, which may make your life easier. They can be very picky and list defects the pink slip might not fail you on. It's the same process for any car that hasn't been registered in NSW within the last 3 months.

To cover yourself, make sure you check on the legal and insurance requirements for driving the unregistered car to and from the inspection.
    When my cars were having a blue slip inspection I made an appointment and asked to have it written in the book.
    I also wrote in the details of the booking in my diary which I carry on me, with the name and address of the premises and the name of the person who took the phone booking.

Like any inspection, make it easy for the inspector to pass the car…..clean engine especially around the engine numbers, have legal tyres, all lights and indicators working etc…..The usual things.

Sometimes it can be a PITA to locate engine numbers. Maybe ask here where to find them and make sure they are legible.

Also, pay very close attention to all the details the inspector puts into the system.
    My inspector had just one letter/number wrong on a VIN which caused the car's details to become morphed with another car.
    A few years later, when the other car's rego was cancelled, the RMS cancelled my rego too, and it was a 2 month long shitfight trying to sort out.

Jo
    David S likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Good advice there thanks Jo. Now to find XU10 engine numbers!

Fellow Frogger

ACT has no regular inspections for rego renewal apparently (I should move there!), so it may not have had a garage go over it for some time and you may find some 'extras' as a result.
    https://www.accesscanberra.act.gov.a...ctions#!tabs-2

All good advice. As with many testers, some will be more pernickety .. oil (and other) leaks, worn rubbers, etc.
    And also good advice on clear identification and where to read it. I had this problem with the C5.

Blue slip is meant to be more comprehensive than pink slip...(almost to the point that an oldish car should be as close to as new as possible?)

Can be pot luck with where you go, or you might get a recommendation for a blue slip garage.
    Some "may" want to "fix" the unpassable items.

After the garage gave me the blue slip, NSW RMS also called me in to their depot to (again) read the engine number, and charged me a further $60 to do so :-/
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

1000+ Posts

From memory nsw blue slip inspectors have to post a ,something like $30 ,000 surety for the privilege and they get busted big time if they are caught out at random audit ,the extra id checks are to catch out people trying to re birth cars and send them interstate ,for rego ,sometimes fixing all the faults dousnt help the inspector as too many cars coming through with no defects ,draws attention from the gestapo who think they aren't doing there job ,pays to leave some simple things or mention what you have fixed so they have something to wright on the report ,these guys are just doing there job and its there head on the chopping block ,although i have met some jerks thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    From memory nsw blue slip inspectors have to post a ,something like $30 ,000 surety for the privilege and they get busted big time if they are caught out at random audit ,the extra id checks are to catch out people trying to re birth cars and send them interstate ,for rego ,sometimes fixing all the faults dousnt help the inspector as too many cars coming through with no defects ,draws attention from the gestapo who think they aren't doing there job ,pays to leave some simple things or mention what you have fixed so they have something to wright on the report ,these guys are just doing there job and its there head on the chopping block ,although i have met some jerks thats for sure
    What a load of rubbish!!!!!!

The ID check is because you are starting rego for the first time in this state, and it needs to be correct and done by someone with a degree of authorisation.
    Engine number/engine type and vin is what they are looking at.
    This data is your car's ID and is used for CTP, property insurance, and rego.

If you rebirth a car and got caught out in a Blue slip inspection you'd be the dumbest rebirther in Lakemba and would deserve to get busted for being so bloody thick!!!

There is no need to turn up with faults either.
    The inspector does not want to see you and your weird french POS again!!!!

Jo
    jaahn likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Found someone who can fit me in Monday. They are going to swap out the rattling cat for me then blue slip so fingers crossed all goes well.

Fellow Frogger

Does the RSPCA now do blue slips too?
    jaahn and CXVingtCinq like this.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    What a load of rubbish!!!!!!

The ID check is because you are starting rego for the first time in this state, and it needs to be correct and done by someone with a degree of authorisation.
    Engine number/engine type and vin is what they are looking at.
    This data is your car's ID and is used for CTP, property insurance, and rego.

If you rebirth a car and got caught out in a Blue slip inspection you'd be the dumbest rebirther in Lakemba and would deserve to get busted for being so bloody thick!!!

There is no need to turn up with faults either.
    The inspector does not want to see you and your weird french POS again!!!!

Jo
    Jo, can you PM me with a good rebirther from Lakemba?

John
    jo proffi and alhantos like this.

1000+ Posts

Hi There are some urban myths here.
    A blue slip is just a pink slip inspection with an identity check done as well. The blue slip inspector pays the RTA for a set of information on engine numbers/models/years etc that the RTA accepts as 'gospel'. So he looks at the numbers and the information to see it matches the "gospel" information. He also looks to see if there is any evidence of rebirthing or unauthorised work or a written off record.
    In my experience, they can see straight off whether the car is OK just by a walk around, or have done so with mine. So then the next thing is a quick safety check, which should be OK as you have done that already, didn't you ??? Then to the numbers ! His information tells him where to look for them ! The engine etc should be clean as he will not want oil leaks either. If the condition is good he will not look for extra stuff.

Just for interest three cars I have presented had incorrect numbers on the previous paper work. 3 instead of 8 or 6 instead of 0 etc. Probably from new. No problems he just double checks and puts it in as he sees it. Never had a problem except with a Jap import motor bike which was not in the information pack. He just winged it OK.
    Jaahn
    PS while I was there once a 'bikie' came in on a Harley for a blue slip. The inspector walked around it as he finished mine, and just casually said to him that engine number looks like you just stamped it. The guy got on and rode off The inspector said he can spot stuff like that from a mile away, and did not wish to get involved with the like of him. He recorded the bike rego and rang it through tho !
    Last edited by jaahn; 14th November 2017 at 08:47 AM.

Thread Information