Parts pricing.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Parts pricing.

Default Parts pricing.

I've commented in other threads, but worth a re-visit.

Parts ... (in my case, Citroen, you may find the same with Renault/Peugeot).

I needed front and rear wiper blades.

a) typically, you have to buy the whole blade assembly, not just the rubber (why?)

b) Started with "Supercheap Auto" .. first set ($50 front pair) didn't fit, they told me I'd need the $40 version ($80 pair).

c) Did web searching ... e.g.: Wipertech have a front pair for $59 and a rear for $35.

d) Ended up with a Braumach front set, $21.45 posted from Melbourne.

e) Bought a rear blade from a UK supplier, $9.20 posted.

Ebay shows prices from $9.20 .... to $46 for that part!

So they were at least 1/3rd of the price or less! ... including postage.

I'm inclined to suggest we could do with a "sticky thread" that mentions these suppliers.

In one of my threads, I'm comparing Mercedes to Citroen ... and I'm sure that many Merc parts would also be very expensive, unless you sourced these sorts of discounted suppliers.

Equally, purportedly "expensive" parts turns people off French cars too, and yet, there are indeed quite inexpensive options. Same with mechanics: quite a major range of choices and costs .....

Advertisement
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

In one of my threads, I'm comparing Mercedes to Citroen ... and I'm sure that many Merc parts would also be very expensive, unless you sourced these sorts of discounted suppliers.
    I'd suggest most (modern) Merc owners don't care too much about price.

They have become used to the feeling of being shafted.

The same the feeling that PSA are trying to teach PSA vehicle owners.

Somewhat unsuccessfully it would seem.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

My original C5 wipers and their readily found Tridon replacement carry the same markings and numbers.

Now what was that about the Rolls Royce maintenance thing again?..........
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Have been down the same path as I wanted to keep the front spoiler original wipers but now as the wife is driving the C5 I quickly went to Auto Barn and picked up their standard replacement Trident I think. But as for the rear I ordered via Ali what ever bought 2 as wanted to do both C5s $16 inc postage but found the 2003 has a longer arm than the 2004 so have a spare for now or will swap the 03 arm at some stage but why can't I just buy the rubber refill?

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

you can get just the rubbers.

I get mine on ebay from some mob in nsw. I'm not at home at present, but I can check the packaging when I return.

They are about $10 a pair from memory.

They only fit certain aero wipers, they don't fit the Valeo that were original on my 307, but I got a pair of Tridon blades once, then a pair of rubbers on ebay each year to refill the Tridon blades. They are good quality and last well. They also fit the Bosch aeros on my partner's Skoda Fabia.

I no longer own the 307 but still have some of the rubbers left.

When I first enquired, years ago, VW sold rubbers for the aero wipers on their Golfs. Golf 6, or maybe even Golf 5?? They were $11 a set and were the same profile, but too short for the huge blades on a 307.

There is a trick to fitting them, see you tube...

In the International [and local] parts industry -- Australia is known as "Treasure Island" for obvious reasons!
    27of85 likes this.

Glad to know you all support your manufacturers parts distribution networks! Keep it up and there won't be any.....

Having worked in the automotive parts industry for many years before the internet I'm happy to tell you that a lot of the parts you will buy cheaply are made in strange countries that don't actually make the vehicle you drive and at best might last a tenth of the original genuine part but they are so well branded that you won't be able to tell the difference. Best of luck to you all......

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Glad to know you all support your manufacturers parts distribution networks! Keep it up and there won't be any.....

Having worked in the automotive parts industry for many years before the internet I'm happy to tell you that a lot of the parts you will buy cheaply are made in strange countries that don't actually make the vehicle you drive and at best might last a tenth of the original genuine part but they are so well branded that you won't be able to tell the difference. Best of luck to you all......

Indeed a factor, and in the past I have frequented the places that did sell parts such as these.

In the example I quoted, I went to "Supercheap Auto" for a set of wiper blades ... and no doubt:
    a) they were not OEM or French (I'm sure China featured somewhere on the packaging),
    b) they were very expensive!

Its generally a reciprocal arrangement ... if the original parts supplier (in Sydney?) is able to sell me competitive parts and we have a good relationship, I'd be using them. But life has changed. Not necessarily for the better.
    Once upon a time:

CX 2200, 2400.
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

1000+ Posts

My family once had an interest in an Australian parts manufacturer (remember them?). They had bits in "genuine" boxes, manufacturer branded, for dealer sales; the same things under their own brand for spares outlets; and boxes that imitated China for the el-cheapo places. All were otherwise identical, but prices varied. If you think that only dealer parts are original you are kidding yourself.

Car manufacturers buy in almost everything.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    My family once had an interest in an Australian parts manufacturer (remember them?). They had bits in "genuine" boxes, manufacturer branded, for dealer sales; the same things under their own brand for spares outlets; and boxes that imitated China for the el-cheapo places. All were otherwise identical, but prices varied. If you think that only dealer parts are original you are kidding yourself.

Car manufacturers buy in almost everything.
    I can't believe that you believe that crap! If your family company was involved in a three tier pricing game then I don't have much respect for it, whatever it was. In the past, Perkins Engines Parts (Remember Perkins Engines?) fought a long battle in the seventies and eighties to stop the flow of counterfeit Perkins parts into Australia with little success. The non genuine parts, when tested for metallurgy and dimensions ALWAYS failed to meet the original specs, but happy, gullible and bottom line only operators continued to buy the non genuine parts and blackened the Perkins name when they failed very early on.

1000+ Posts

I'm not talking about poor imitations. OEM parts were and still are available from other than car manufacturer's dealers. Every major supplier does it - Bosch, Delphi, Continental, Sogefi, Luk, etc etc etc. This fact makes independent quality parts available. They don't just copy the markings and stampings - they are originals; just not in car makers' boxes

There are also outright copyists, mostly in Asian countries, of variable quality, some equal to original (who don't counterfeit markings), some crap. There are quality Australian makers too - have you bought DBA or PBR branded brake parts for an imported car?

Tadpole

Once you accept that the price of parts has no relation to the cost of producing them then nothing surprises. People become accustomed to paying high prices but sometimes a maker absolutely excels with eye watering prices that put cars into a wreckers yard at a young age. Some of the parts prices for certain euro trucks and tractors are simply stunning and represent an audacious pricing policy. The 504 diesel had such a massive mark up on its engine parts you could reco an American truck engine for less. Try telling an owner his four year old car is now worthless. Work overseas in an other than first world country and you'll be surprised how cheap genuine car parts can be.

Indeed ... and why I would have been happy for a $5 piece of rubber rather than a whole assembly @ $80 for a pair.
    Apart from the waste of throwing out the entire blade assemblies! ...We talk the talk about environmental issues, but few companies "walk the walk."

S'pose a $50K car could cost $300K in "replacement parts!"
    Once upon a time:

CX 2200, 2400.
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

Tadpole

Nothing makes you feel your age more than to try to buy parts to repair a component. Those of us who were brought up on old Peugeots repairing everything and rarely buying complete assemblies find it hard to get used to the throwaway culture. Take a starter motor to a sparky (if you can find one) to have new brushes and a clean up and you'll find a shiny new one waiting for you with a lecture on how it's not economic to do repairs like that anymore.

1000+ Posts

There are auto sparkies near me who rebuild starters on an exchange basis. It's a lot cheaper than new. If you want to take longer for an uncommon make (eg Citroen) they may be prepared to work on yours.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I'm not talking about poor imitations. OEM parts were and still are available from other than car manufacturer's dealers. Every major supplier does it - Bosch, Delphi, Continental, Sogefi, Luk, etc etc etc. This fact makes independent quality parts available. They don't just copy the markings and stampings - they are originals; just not in car makers' boxes

There are also outright copyists, mostly in Asian countries, of variable quality, some equal to original (who don't counterfeit markings), some crap. There are quality Australian makers too - have you bought DBA or PBR branded brake parts for an imported car?
    I would have to agree with that seasink and also with Robs comment about Mercedes owners. I sold ignition parts cheap at Bendigo Swap events for some 20 plus years, and found Merc owners would rather get their service agents to fit new ignition parts at an exorbitant price rather than pay the $4 a set I was selling all ignition sets. I know I was shocked when I found out what they were prepared to pay at the dealer for the same branded points as those I was selling.

There were of course savvy owners of other brands who kept coming back each year and buying a few sets "to keep on the shelf" and others that learnt how to adapt parts to fit their cars.

Then there were the others that would buy one 50cent headlight globe rather than a box of 10 and expect you to be there next years so they could replace another that had blown, I had to patiently explain that for me it wasn't a business venture, just helping with sourcing hard to find spares and selling them at reasonable prices. When I sold the last it WAS likely that was the last at that price!

Ken
    cjl likes this.

Tadpole

My family had a Peugeot dealership after the war. When I took an interest in the 1960's the standard parts mark up was 40%. As there were a least four operations handling the parts between production and sale and they were all getting a drink it got rather expensive. No wonder it was so much cheaper when we could source from local makers.

I was told long ago by a clever Chinese businessman that to stay in business you had to divide your cost of goods by 0.65. Anything less than this and you would be quickly out of business........in fact, with nearly 15 years hindsight, it appears true.....

I'd suggest that's a nice markup, if you can get it.

You can also go broke by not being competitive in the market.

My experience is the 30% markup is pretty right. And the volume of work you sell makes up for the smaller number.

And I retired at 55 based on that strategy.
    JoBo likes this.

Yesterday I needed some wheel studs and nuts for a trailer, they are the Ford type. Went to local Repco, pack of five studs and nuts $ 31.95.
    Crossed the road to the bearing place, similar pack of studs and nuts $9.90.
    Pays to shop around.

VIP Sponsor

Yes, Bendix brakecleaner at Repco $8, then saw it on special at Supercheap for $18!

1000+ Posts

Default How to make that vital decision !

I have a pocket card sized Margin Calculator, but rather than try to reproduce that here.
    here is a similar product from the internet.

http://www.kevinbishop.net.au/HOW%20...S%20PROFIT.pdf

I the one I have has sell price and cost price (exc tax) to Gross margin % (inc tax) (20% to 50% mark up) with the instructions

1 Determine achievable sell price of product. My comment i.e. the highest the market might bear ?
    2 Running along that line, identify closest cost price (exc tax)
    3 Moving up that column, identify approx. gross margin percentage.
    4. Ask yourself - is margin sufficient ?

My comment this is the decision ? criteria that separates reasonable and rip off gouging at the retail level.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I'd suggest that's a nice markup, if you can get it.

You can also go broke by not being competitive in the market.

My experience is the 30% markup is pretty right. And the volume of work you sell makes up for the smaller number.

And I retired at 55 based on that strategy.
    Anything less than 0.7 is not a successful strategy in my book! Some business models encourage big sticker prices and substantial discounts. You never really know what a retail chain is up to.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Anything less than 0.7 is not a successful strategy in my book! Some business models encourage big sticker prices and substantial discounts. You never really know what a retail chain is up to.......
    If you are selling nothing but goods, maybe.

However when you bundle installation and consulting services with the goods, you have more room to move.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information