Parts pricing. - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Parts pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    If you are selling nothing but goods, maybe.

However when you bundle installation and consulting services with the goods, you have more room to move.
    You mean like a Dealer Service Centre?

Advertisement
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Tadpole

The 40% was the discount we got from list price on stock orders which were put in weekly. Reduced to 30% for stuff needed in a hurry. The network ran on it for years. Hard to price old stock. I've ended up with left over odds and ends from 203 to 504 and a few R12 bits all of which were hiding at the back of the spares shed. Probably low demand. I suppose somewhere in the world an owner is looking for a new clock for his 504 injection or a 203 or 403 headlight. There are bulk buyers of job lot left over spares. Or I could get someone to put them on ebay but it's hard to send bulky items.

1000+ Posts

Default Old Pug spares cheap ??

Quote Originally Posted by pinnaroo View Post
    The 40% was the discount we got from list price on stock orders which were put in weekly. Reduced to 30% for stuff needed in a hurry. The network ran on it for years. Hard to price old stock. I've ended up with left over odds and ends from 203 to 504 and a few R12 bits all of which were hiding at the back of the spares shed. Probably low demand. I suppose somewhere in the world an owner is looking for a new clock for his 504 injection or a 203 or 403 headlight. There are bulk buyers of job lot left over spares. Or I could get someone to put them on ebay but it's hard to send bulky items.
    Hi pinnaroo
    Well seems to me here is the place to shift those old parts clogging up your shed. Make a list and get it onto the PARTS for SALE and WANTED section. Let the price sort itself out after a bit of email discussion. Postage comes next.
    There is a demand for anything, and lots look on here for their wisdom etc.
    cheers Jaahn

I've ended up with left over odds and ends from 203 to 504 and a few R12 bits all of which were hiding at the back of the spares shed. Probably low demand. I suppose somewhere in the world an owner is looking for a new clock for his 504
    When I was working in Cinema engineering in the 80s. I was employed by the Australian agents for a couple of German projectors brands.

The GM the of company solved the problem of having racks and racks of spares parts costing the business a fortune by writing down the cost to zero after one year. The write off cost was deductible and every spare part made a 100 % profit.

A bonus was not having to count several thousand small parts every year at stocktake time.

I used the same strategy, on much lesser scale, for culling slow moving/ill considered stock in my own business several years later.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Yes old spares are a problem only if you make them so.
    I bought a business, years ago, with a lot of good old spares along with lots of new stuff. We just made a low estimate which was mutually agreed to for the old stuff. Worked OK as the sale of these rare bits was high profit and helped out a new customer usually too.

When I sold years later some old spares were still there. I put a low nominal price on them, and estimated the good spares by my experience. Who wants to stocktake hundreds of small spares worth not so much ?? But the clown who bought insisted on counting everthing and valueing ever item at book value, to make sure I was not shafting him. So he paid somewhat more than I asked originally for all the spares. ???? You cannot tell some people anything, they are just too smart
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 15th November 2017 at 07:47 PM.
    cjl likes this.

Yep, selling a business can be easy or excruciatingly difficult.

Depending on the level of trust between the buyer and seller.

I did our stocktake with seller next to me. And didn't bother counting anything under $50.

And the value worked to bit over my guestimate made before counting.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Tadpole

Thank you all for the sensible advice. I shall sort what I have and try listing it here.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information