• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: A reliiable car wanted ??

1000+ Posts

Default A reliiable car wanted ??

Hi
    My daughter who works with refugees and other less well off among us, was offered a car for a 'client' of hers who need one. So she asked me to look at it and give an opinion whether it was a viable option or not. When i pulled up I saw a nice enough Peugeot 406 in average condition. Turns out to be a 2002, diesel auto. Hmmmm---- Hmmm---- Hmmmm !! It jump started Ok after a bit and sounded OK. No suspicious oil leaks etc, done 249000kms. So we drove it around a bit and it went OK, changed gears and the windows worked etc. Some things need a bit of minor work. Not a full assessment but seemed to be an OK goer.

So the problem is what to say to the lady who is the giver, and to the recipient ! The short answer was no. The long answer was a bit more diplomatic. The recipient was no mechanic and new to owning a car. What a shame as it was a good car, CURRENTLY still REGISTERED, and had been handed down the family a couple of times I understood. LOOKS GOOD see the for sale section.

Advertisement

Thinking over the situation afterwards, I came up with this(brilliant ?) idea ! Someone on AFs who wants one of these for use or parts even, may wish to swap a good older boreing car for this fine Peugeot and drive it away SOON. It has some NSW rego3/11/17, and has been commuting a 30km distance up till recently. The battery is dead and perhaps a tire or two may be need for rego. Any reliable common brand car may be acceptable as a swap. TRY ME and help someone who needs a bit of a leg up ! But do it soon please !
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 22nd October 2017 at 05:23 PM.
    IWS and antonio like this.

Jaahn,
    The answer is in your middle para. No !

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

AL$ gearbox ........................ run for the hills !!! If it is a freebie .. .why don't they just drive it until the gearbox dies
    JoBo likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    AL$ gearbox ........................ run for the hills !!! If it is a freebie .. .why don't they just drive it until the gearbox dies
    Hi Shane
    The owner has a long commute, small kids, and the car needs some money now for battery and rego. Decided to go for another car !! But would suit a person who can do the usual work if necessary.
    If the person who was offered it, drives it till it dies then i will end up having to sort it and I do not wish to do that. I am trying to sort it now instead Or the car will be disposed of soon. See for sale section for more pics and details.
    Jaahn
    A reliiable car wanted ??-20171022_161339-800x600-.jpg
    PS A reliiable spell check needed too
    Last edited by jaahn; 23rd October 2017 at 07:24 AM.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Just bumping it up so people interested in the car can see the story Rego is till 3/11/17 as shown here but a mistake in the for sale -- add
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 26th October 2017 at 11:09 AM.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    A resolution has been achieved for this thanks.
    Jaahn

Thread Information