• 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By Leeroy69
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: Tyre size and ride quality

Default Tyre size and ride quality

Test drove a small French car ( 2012 Renault Clio sport) one version with 17 inch wheels and one with 18 inch. My impression was that the ride was noticeably less harsh with the larger wheels. Should 1 inch of rubber make that much difference ? ( obviously there may be differences in suspension set up as well).

Advertisement
    Nostalgia.....aahh It's not what it used to be

1000+ Posts

Surely the normal situation is that the smaller wheels, with resultant higher profile tyres, would give the more compliant ride?

If you've noticed a softer, less harsh ride with bigger wheels/lower profile tyres, then isn't this down to suspension differences outweighing the tyre differences? Of course different brands and designs of tyres may give greater variation in ride than the tyre profile as well...

Cheers

Alec
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.

Tyre pressure???
    Armidillo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Ride can also depend on the suspension firmness.

I have a DS3 on R17 rubber band tyres with stiff roll bars, and while it is a smooth ride on the highway, Willoughby Council's old concrete roads will shake your teeth out. The C4 ride is reasonably smooth on the same rough roads - similar suspension, but with 16 in wheels and softer springing and more roll.

Oops bad typo.
    Of course I meant smaller wheels ( bigger tyres ) give better ride.
    But is a 1 inch difference discernible to the driver and passengers ?

There have been multiple suspension setups for Renault Sport models. The three easiest to explain would be Sport, Cup and Trophy, all progressively more track oriented. Usually the highest spec gets the flashest wheels and lowest profile tyres, but previous owners may have swapped wheels and profiles.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    ….. Of course different brands and designs of tyres may give greater variation in ride than the tyre profile as well...

Cheers

Alec
    I have no experience changing wheel size on the one car, but have messed around with load limit spec and tyre construction and can concur that there is a massive difference between an extra reinforced tyre and a comfort tyre,

Such a contrast can be found between a bridgestone potenza and a michi pilot sport, two tyres that may definitely be found on a RS car.

Jo
    jaahn likes this.

The main reason I ask is that I like the ride of the Std 2012 Clio sport but the cabin of the Angel and Demon version

1000+ Posts

Hi dayofthejackal
    I too am interested in this subject !! My Captur has the biggest wheels and lowest profile tires and we find it a bit harsh on the suburban 'tracks' around here. I test drove a 16" wheel model and thought it was OK at the time, but chose the up spec model so got the lower profile tires ? I think the suspension is OK but the tires make it harsh on small sharp bumps.

I have considered getting some 15" Clio wheels with tires of higher profile and trying them for a while to how they roll There are 3 sizes listed on the tire spec placard. 195x15"/ 65, 205x16"/ 60, 215x17"/ 55. I do not drive hard nor actually want to in it.
    Jaahn
    PS a Captur is a Clio on steroids.
    Last edited by jaahn; 19th October 2017 at 12:56 PM.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dayofthejackal View Post
    Test drove a small French car ( 2012 Renault Clio sport) one version with 17 inch wheels and one with 18 inch. My impression was that the ride was noticeably less harsh with the larger wheels. Should 1 inch of rubber make that much difference ? ( obviously there may be differences in suspension set up as well).
    Hi mate,
    I'm a tyre and wheel alignment technician with roughly 17 years experience and I can confidentiality tell you that yes, that 1" difference in rim size is definitely noticable! Particularly once you get up beyond 16" and into the really low profile stuff. As mentioned by others in this thread there are plenty of other variables such as construction of tyre and suspension setup that will affect ride harshness also.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Or a clio in high heels.
    Jo
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Or a clio in high heels.
    Jo
    I'd prefer "Grown Up".....
    jaahn likes this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi dayofthejackal
    I too am interested in this subject !! My Captur has the biggest wheels and lowest profile tires and we find it a bit harsh on the suburban 'tracks' around here. I test drove a 16" wheel model and thought it was OK at the time, but chose the up spec model so got the lower profile tires ? I think the suspension is OK but the tires make it harsh on small sharp bumps.

I have considered getting some 15" Clio wheels with tires of higher profile and trying them for a while to how they roll There are 3 sizes listed on the tire spec placard. 195x15"/ 65, 205x16"/ 60, 215x17"/ 55. I do not drive hard nor actually want to in it.
    Jaahn
    I swapped the original 195x15"/65 standard profile tyres for 205x15"/65 (less expensive as they are/were more common in Aussie) and the ride and traction improved, the Speedo was closer to actual - bit like the rolling diameter of winter treads for a Euro car.

In reality, it's only half an inch of tyre difference if the rolling circumference is the same - an 18 inch wheel has a 9 inch radius, a 17 inch wheel has an 8.5 inch radius, meaning there is only half an inch difference in tyre depth.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe).

Oh, and a Holden and a Suzuki.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Fellow Frogger!

The Euro size 195x15"/65% profile compared to 205x15/65% profile means 10mm wider and the 65% means the radius (ride height increase) is 10mm x 65% or 6.5mm which is about 3Kph on the speedo and within the few % difference allowed. The contact patch is 10mm wider and longer due to the sidewall being taller by 6.5mm gives a better ride, rim protection, and clearance, especially if the vehicle has a low nose clearance. Tyre pressure is the same. The load rating is slightly higher on these tires. The vehicle can now go around corners much faster without letting go, so suggest you be careful at the limits. It is less expensive by about $30 a tire and much better for you not the tyre dealer. Works a treat on the the 307Hdi!

I went from a P406 D8 with 15” wheels to a D9 with 16”. Definitely a smoother ride on the 15’s.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Thread Information