Singapore Frogs
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Singapore Frogs

UFO

Icon10 Singapore Frogs

Hi folks - there are Cits in Singapore, amongst other Froggies.

Advertisement

Have seen a heap of Berlingos, even Multispaces - don't ask Daniel, we will not get them in Aus. There is also the Peugeot equivalent and the Renault similar.

Have seen a couple of Xsaras but no other Cits. Even a 607.Of course no camera ready at the time for any of them.

If you come to SG the best way to get around is the taxis. Cheap as chips, very clean and comfy - even for my height, and friendly and informative drivers.

They are all 4 cyl diesel and either Toyota or Nissan.

The price of cars in SG including ORC is horrendous. Cabby yesterday told us that to get a T*y*t* Corolla on the road is about S$120 000!! Have seen some real exotics like Maserati Bi Turbos etc - wouldn't even like to think of the cost of that. You also have to have a govt permit to buy a new car.

The roads are excellent and traffic flows smoothly in general. The pedestrian crossings mostly have a countdown timer to show how much longer you have to get across the road.

More later from UK and France.

Au Revoir!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I was quite surprised how popular French cars are in South East Asia.
    When I was in Malaysia in particular, I noticed heaps of old Froggies - mainly ZX's, AX's, Xantias, Evasion/Synergie people movers, Pug 405's (they got the US spec bumpers over there) and Meganes. I also noticed quite a few Holdens - there were a few VL Calais hanging around, with 2.0 litre sixes I'm told. The VR/VS Calais with a 2.6 litre six and a Caprice front end was (is?) also sold there for umpteen sqillions of dollars.

In Singapore, the cars there are much newer, as the become expensive to register after 10 years old, so not as many froggies there. I did notice a fair few 1.6 litre 406 autos though......
    A new Range-Rover costs around $800'000. And thats not including the COE you need to buy the car with. An uncle bought a 2nd hand 1994 Rover 623GSi (basically a 94 Honda Accord) two years ago for $68'000. Another just bought a 735Li, and I'm not even going to ask for how much. That's just crazy....

Roads are brilliant, drivers are more clueless than in Melbourne.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

I've been to the Philippines and Vietnam - the frog count in the Philippines came to just four: a lonely Renault 16 in a field, a very rusty R20 parked at the kerb in a posh neighbourhood, and strangely, I saw a 309GTi and a Clio RS (or whatever), the model we didn't see here. These last two were parked together at a service station.

Lots of frogs in Vietnam, however, because of the French influence there. I saw a few 504 taxis, 505s, a 203 and a 403, an immaculate Citroen 15, and plenty of more modern stuff, especially 405s. BTW Vietnam is beautiful, and a wonderful holiday destination, so CHEAP. Hanoi is my #1 favourite place.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

In sri lanka pugs are probably the most popular day-to-day euro car there. 203's & 404's are still running around there very well, in great condition. 306's & 406's are very popular espicially with members of the Sri lankan cricket team for some reason.

As for singapore my dad use to source heaps of parts out of their via his contacts, saved him heaps. From memory he made a small business out of selling headlights.

UFO

Icon10

Today being Monday we saw an absolute onslaught of delivery vans hitting the streets - lots of Berlingos, Pug equivalent and Renault Kangoo. Daniel, I even saw a C3 and late in the day a C5.

See some attached pics.

By the way, I am sitting in the PC access point at Changi Airport between the access areas to gates D30 to 49 and C1 to 26. This access point is FREE if you have your own laptop with wireless OR cable LAN connection. Even has UK style power points to recharge. Been here for over an hour so far. Couple of hours till the flight

Should see a LOT of Cits in the morning - you get that in PARIS!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singapore Frogs-sscn0125.jpg   Singapore Frogs-sscn0126.jpg   Singapore Frogs-sscn0127.jpg  
    Last edited by UFO; 4th May 2004 at 12:13 AM.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

And we all laugh at those japanses tourists taking photo's of public toilets & other 'normal' things whilst we have aussie tourists taking photo's of berlingo's .

Changi airport is the best airport, so much fun it's like a huge playground, shopping center & airport rolled into one.

Icon2

Craig great to hear things are going well. When i was in singapore I saw lots of french cars also.
    There is an indian area over there that is very interesting indeed. A lot of Indians have settled in singapore as strange as that seems.
    Keep the flow of french stret scenes and trendy french car pics coming please. You will make one very keen CCCNSW member very happy. Dont forget my european and french car stickers too please?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    A lot of Indians have settled in singapore as strange as that seems.
    what the hell is so strange about that, there's asians in australia isn't there?? Go to malaysia theres more indians there, not to mention fiji, alot of the arab world has lots of indians & so does parts of northern africa.

Icon7

It was just an observation I made when I went there for the first time. I have lots of indian friends and am in no way racist please?
    Im fine with whatever....

It was just an observation I made when I went there for the first time. I have lots of indian friends and am in no way racist please?
    i didn't say you were racist mate

Hey Daniel, I think it had to do with the British Empire...Indians in Maya/Singapore, Fiji etc. There are still problems in Malaya and Fiji deriving from that stuff....

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

UFO

Yes, well to get back on topic, there Citroens in Singapore and many in Paris, funny enough. There are also HEAPS here in London.

We saw Liz and Phil and the Polish Pres and wife with a full on guards and all down Pall Mall etc etc this morning.

Have seen C8s, C15, C3, C5 here in London.

Outside Gare Du Nord in Paris we saw a beaten up old GS go by.

I have worn my CCC of NSW jacket and this was a great conversation starter in Paris - esp with customs people at the Eurostar station. Eurostar was brilliant!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon1

Craig I have envy out of my ears. I wish I was there too on another holiday on the french alps and riviera. Great stuff.
    Can you remind Deb about my stickers and things please?
    I might try smsing you too actually.....

I've mentioned this before in another post - there are quite a few 504s and 505s in Thailand, with unusual specs to suit local conditions e.g. no heaters, bloody great a/c vents in the dash, stuff like that. I noticed quite a few 505s getting around with what look like STi TRX alloys, but they are actually 14"! A few sets of those would be nice...
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Default Thai Pugs

Thailand has a amaizing range of imported cars 505s and 504s seem to be the most popular peugeot. I have seen HD and HR holdens Zephers and older valiants in really good condition in Bangkok. There is also a lot of Harley Davidsons. The Thai people love their cars and I have seen some great restorations of older Euro cars parked in the streets of Bangkok. LuLu

Thread Information