Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states. - Page 6
  • Register
  • Help
Page 6 of 8 First ... 2345678 Last
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.

1000+ Posts

On the subject of added cartage for "country" deliveries of fuel. There used to be an element of truth in that, but that seems to have gone by the wayside, it appears to be quite political with some towns higher than others, and the fact the Oil companies can artificially manipulate the market - the example that I use is simple like the edge of a spinning top one side will be higher than the other as it spins and wobbles, the controllers of course know exactly the bench price they want to sell at and not reveal what they are doing, so the high price will be balanced out by a low price somewhere and that can be dubbed as market competition with some thinking they are getting a bargain, others that the price is a bit high, any higher and local papers and the public start screaming and you get the Ballarat, Bendigo, and Shepparton thing with Tourist towns like Echuca quite sensitive to predatory pricing.

Now some say its the cartage, that accounts for the difference - when I was closely involved in checking fuel pricing, I did quite a few sweeps across Victoria and interstate (Family events and funerals mainly) and you could find fuel within 50 t0 100 km of Melbourne at a high price and fuel in Mildura or Horsham or Warracknabeal at a far lower price. It could be volume sales at those country Centres, but then in between deliveries can be cheap too. So I call Bullshine on the bogey of transport costs though the ACCC likes to say that too.

It is purely the major oil companies setting a monitored and computerized system with an average sales with profit buffer as they set themselves, then they manipulate that with a fairy tail so called discount cycle which is again just to divide the market into satisfied and part satisfied customers who will fall for the illusion of a mythical market competition to give them the lowest motorist driven pricing, but in such a controlled market only the majors can sell and know they will be profitable.

Shell that has been most uncompetitive for some time have slowly fallen back to the minimum response to hold a volume sale profit, at the moment so that they can sell their outlets and get over into the more profitable electrical Energy and Renewables where the public either forgo energy needs or pay the piper and if you control the investment side and the distribution side there is huge monies to be made ":appearing " to be environmentally sound, green even but in doubled up profits. I cannot see that profit slug being cut unless a government is willing to cop the approbation of emotional blackmail or some say greenmail that has been a bit hysterical in the media world wide. Your energy bills will go up and that means profits and desired investment in giant projects like Skiptons new Wind farms.

In the energy industry and complacency or plausible excuse makes profits guaranteed! for investors and Energy retail supply Giants. This could eventually flatten the profit level of oil companies that choose to remain in the game, or sell to new players while they can.

Anyway there has been some upward movement in price of overseas crude oil, so even at my new found COSTCO outlet at Epping the price has risen, but nothing like the average profit ensured Major prices I saw last week. I paid 136.7 cents a litre for Diesel and UlP was 123.7 for 91 RON and 98 RON was 139.7 cents per litre. I also noted that some COSTCO family popular staples had gone up by a few cents too, so there is an increase on.

The most competitive country selling site I noted was the United site at Heathcote, their diesel was three cents higher than Costco and the LPG seemed lower than others. On driving back to Melbourne I refilled at Costco and bought the ENELOOP battery's and charger pack they had on special and fuel prices were still the same. It would be nice if all motorists noted and reported on fuel pricing across the range of fuels on offer as it would be easy to identify these trends State to State.

Oh and by the way the Brent barrel of crude price, yesterday was $67.50 US up 0.5% on the day and up 2.3 % on the year a slow trend unless some scare can be used to jack the price up!

There was some improvement early this year but Venezuela troubles and the China and Russia situation not to mention Little Kim has put some jumps in the pricing and the rough cold and wet winter in the USA always helps that factored in higher pricing. In Australia our major refiners used to factor in a percentage rise to cover the USA winter, but their increased and exporting supply now seems to cover their own winter needs and that shouldn't short term push our domestic pricing. this year.

If you see a dip below the COSTCO pricing I'd like to hear that.

Advertisement

Regards

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    . So I call Bullshine on the bogey of transport costs though the ACCC likes to say that too.

Ken

Hi,
    Are you saying you think there isn't a cost in shipping fuel by truck?
    My calculations speak for themselves, but surely it doesn't require that sort of detail to understand that if you a day's use (or more) of a $300,000 rig, and add the driver's pay, it does actually cost quite a bit, and that has to be added onto the price of the petrol. Please do explain why my calculations are invalid.

Thanks

1000+ Posts

Just an update of Victorian Fuel pricing, we recently did a round trip Melbourne , Adelaide, Melbourne.

First fill was Costco on the 2nd of May Fuel prices had lifted a bit our Diesel was now 137.7 cents a litre (ULP 134.7 and 98RON 150.7)
    next fill was Shell at Bordertown some 607 Km later where we filled with Diesel at 149.9 cents a litre ( ULP 147.9 and 98RON 166.9)

Next fill was Caltex Mt Gambier 811 km later our Diesel fill at 146.9 cents a litre (Ulp 141.9 98RON 159.9 and LPG 85)

So not so bad, I expected much higher prices in the remote country towns and yes there were some prices higher but not excessively so apart from LPG that seemed consistently higher than city prices. I did see one Garage in Adelaide that had ultra low prices for Diesel, but wasn't ready to fill when we passed it (Low 140's)

Did the run back to Melbourne via Geelong as there was a storm predicted so missed calling in on Skipton Bob at a late hour. I still have that small package for delivery Bob, it will get there.

Will probably need to fill at Costco in the next few days as we also need more coffee and I like their $15.99 3llb tins of drip filter coffee.

Ken

1000+ Posts

Echuca E10/95 133.9/L.
    I think Iíll have some of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Fuel update..etc.

Originally Posted by Nagaman
    Echuca E10/95 133.9/L.
    I think Iíll have some of that.

I had a look at the Echuca Prices while I was there this week, but the Diesel prices were higher, so didn't top up. In general I think much of the Melbourne pricing seems higher than some in the country (general observation) apart from LPG You get all sorts of LPG pricing in the country appears much higher than Melbourne's 60 cents something plus, that seems an average price. and of course most Melbournians shop around and have their favourite suppliers.

On return from Echuca I paid 137.7 cents a litre for Diesel at Costco and the Ulp price was the same for 91 RON and 98 RON was 153.7 a litre and that still seems lower than elsewhere. I always like driving through Bundoora/ Kingsbury on the way home via Bell Street and finding generally that I have save 15 cents s litre on fuel.

The current Brent price for crude was $72.00 up 1% on the day and down 9.7% on the year, so tracking fairly well with the Costco rises at the moment. Bought an extra 3llb tin of drip filter coffee on the way up to Echuca and found I had left one spare there, we also called in on the way back and bought a couple of grocery staples and bought the usual slice of Pizza that I like for an evening treat.

Good trip, traffic was reasonable in the direction we were travelling. Nice to get home.

Interested to hear pricing levels in other states as usually with Federal elections service stations tend to keep prices very competitive so that fuel pricing doesn't get caught up in cost of living issues or become controversial like the electricity pricing is at the moment.

Big part of any family budget though. even for us allegedly super wealthy self funded retiree's

Ken

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I had a look at the Echuca Prices while I was there this week, but the Diesel prices were higher, so didn't top up. In general I think much of the Melbourne pricing seems higher than some in the country (general observation) apart from LPG You get all sorts of LPG pricing in the country appears much higher than Melbourne's 60 cents something plus, that seems an average price. and of course most Melbournians shop around and have their favourite suppliers.

On return from Echuca I paid 137.7 cents a litre for Diesel at Costco and the Ulp price was the same for 91 RON and 98 RON was 153.7 a litre and that still seems lower than elsewhere. I always like driving through Bundoora/ Kingsbury on the way home via Bell Street and finding generally that I have save 15 cents s litre on fuel.

The current Brent price for crude was $72.00 up 1% on the day and down 9.7% on the year, so tracking fairly well with the Costco rises at the moment. Bought an extra 3llb tin of drip filter coffee on the way up to Echuca and found I had left one spare there, we also called in on the way back and bought a couple of grocery staples and bought the usual slice of Pizza that I like for an evening treat.

Good trip, traffic was reasonable in the direction we were travelling. Nice to get home.

Interested to hear pricing levels in other states as usually with Federal elections service stations tend to keep prices very competitive so that fuel pricing doesn't get caught up in cost of living issues or become controversial like the electricity pricing is at the moment.

Big part of any family budget though. even for us allegedly super wealthy self funded retiree's

Ken
    LPG is 59.9 here ... has been for some time. Just as well for me. I probably get 25L/100 around town on LPG.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

We have the latest Vitara 1.4 boosterjet and after the first 10000kms it says the average consumption on E10 has now improved to an average 21.7km per litre which is the old 61.3 mpg !

61.3 mpg equates to around 4.6 L/100 km (the industry standard metric measure of fuel usage) - which pretty well par for the course these days.

To be honest I'm happy to pay a small premium to have improved performance.

1000+ Posts

4.6 L/1100 km is not an easy ask around Sydney, even for light cars and diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    4.6 L/1100 km is not an easy ask around Sydney, even for light cars and diesels.
    I don't believe the figure is for driving around Sydney.

I would surmise the driving is around Nagambie, and majority likely to be highway cycle.

The consumption has also been "calculated" and I quote
    it says the average consumption on E10
    So presumably it is the reading from the vehicle electronics

Manufacturer Stated figure are:

Suzuki Vitara 2019 1.4 Boosterjet Fuel Consumption (Economy), Emissions and Range

Fuel Consumption - Economy - Combined: 5.8 L/100km
    49 mpg UK / 41 mpg US

Fuel Consumption - Economy - Extra Urban: 5.1 L/100km
    55 mpg UK / 46 mpg US

Fuel Consumption - Economy - City: 6.9 L/100km
    41 mpg UK / 34 mpg US

Fuel Tank Capacity : 47 L
    10.3 UK gallons
    12.4 US gallons
    Range : 810 Km or 503 miles

The stated figure of 4.6 l/100 km far exceeds the manufacturers claimed fuel consumption, which is usual to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    The stated figure of 4.6 l/100 km far exceeds the manufacturers claimed fuel consumption, which is UNusual to say the least.
    Fixed it for you! and agree!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Fill > fill itís only 20.5/L.
    ACC (mid point) use behind a b double at genuine 100 (gps) and minimal use of the brake pedal.
    Not fully loosened up yet.
    Itís aero drag at high speed and casually using the brake pedal that kills economy.
    Obviously city driving makes such extreme economy impossible, if only because you canít upset others with your apparent doddery behaviour such as backing off very early.

1000+ Posts

Gas pricing -
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-...osses/11121120

It’s aero drag at high speed and casually using the brake pedal that kills economy.
    Obviously city driving makes such extreme economy impossible, if only because you can’t upset others with your apparent doddery behaviour such as backing off very early.
    A driver with this style would not be someone that would pleasant to drive behind.

It would gentlemanly for you place a female bowling hat on the rear parcel shelf of your vehicle. To serve as warning to others.

IMO opinion predictability, consideration for other drivers and ultimately safe driving are far more important factors that focusing on extreme maximization of fuel economy.

As to "aero drag", AKA - driving up the gunga of B doubles is usually only done by those aspiring to win a trophy.

https://www.ruindays.com/products/dickhead-trophy

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Driving is an art and mostly enjoyable.

That link is a little unkind Robmac That would have to be earned.

I try and allow space between myself and other vehicles, and when in the country that includes large vehicles most of those travel at or near the speed limits, but at that speed and with bumpy roads and different surfaces, they often kick up or drop off accumulated crud like small pebbles that then bounce back and can star the windscreen.

It is also better to hang back a little, as that gives you a safer view space when contemplating overtaking, and I do try and minimize the time taken to do that. There seems much debate over the speed of overtaking but the principle is to overtake smartly and safely, and cars these days could conceivably exceed a posted speed limit.

On that basis I would never contemplate booking someone for speed in overtaking and that was the general and agreed situation as long as the overtaking was completed in a safe and efficient style. There are now modern experts though that insist 1km over an arbitrary posted speed limit is speeding and they say speed kills, so you get drivers overtaking painfully slow over extended kilometres and in some states like WA driver are very wary as police have been known to radar check overtaking and fine drivers on long straight roads.

I find that strange, and that may change state to state but in my mind safety for all is the overriding principle but if economy is the goal then you have to adjust your driving and perhaps introduce trick like driving close to the rear of large trucks. Not worth it in the long run, too many things can go wrong.

A lot of this is common sense, but these days some don't have any, and mostly get away with that.

Ken
    cjl likes this.

That link is a little unkind Robmac That would have to be earned.
    Read the post associated with the link very carefully.

The devil is in detail: exactly same as the now defunct proposed changes to franking credits
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

There seems to be the beginnings of a price war with Bulleen - United E10/95 122.9 which I thought was perhaps a fat finger issue, but the Metro S of Craigieburn is 124.9.

1000+ Posts

Default Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.

Melbourne fuel price jump started - 30+c
    (United Box Hill - 98 now 207.7)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    A driver with this style would not be someone that would pleasant to drive behind.

It would gentlemanly for you place a female bowling hat on the rear parcel shelf of your vehicle. To serve as warning to others.

IMO opinion predictability, consideration for other drivers and ultimately safe driving are far more important factors that focusing on extreme maximization of fuel economy.

As to "aero drag", AKA - driving up the gunga of B doubles is usually only done by those aspiring to win a trophy.

https://www.ruindays.com/products/dickhead-trophy
    Some of us get wiser as we get older but some canít kick the habit of lecturing.
    I donít waste my time lecturing others.
    Pointing out basic facts seems to get up the nose of those who know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    Some of us get wiser as we get older but some can’t kick the habit of lecturing.
    I don’t waste my time lecturing others.

Agreed. I was pointing out what can arguably be seen as unsafe driving practice.
    Last edited by robmac; 2nd June 2019 at 09:53 AM.

1000+ Posts

That was what the ďobviously...... ď was about.

Fill up pronto.

cjl likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon9 Melbourne prices

So Sunday 2nd June 2019 - Noticed On the way back from the airport that United on the corner of Bell Street and Albert Road had ULP at 135.9, E10 131.9, Diesel at 146.9 and LPG at 65.9

While the rest of Bell Street seemed to be off with the fairies, with ULP at 169 and 167 etc. Some claim the sole reason is a giant rip off before an upcoming long weekend. Me? I say Don't buy unless you have to and choose wisely.

I haven't checked at Costco yet as the Megane Diesel is having a off road spruce up and the Laguna is full with Costco 98, but will let you know as this proceeds

Any cheaper fuel than that....? anywhere, or dearer

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 4th June 2019 at 06:05 PM.

1000+ Posts

Ah, got it !
    I think.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    Melbourne fuel price jump started - 30+c
    (United Box Hill - 98 now 207.7)

Yep - https://motormouth.com.au/ reports that Melbourne is heading to the top of it's cycle in the next couple of days.

Either buy today - or wait a week.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Costco pricing today.

I see ULP at Costco is 131.7 RON 98 is 146.7 and Diesel is 139.7 compared to the real crazy prices at the majors and the BRENT CRUDE Price is $61.50 a barrel down 0.8% on the day and DOWN 20% on the year, that Brent Crude price seems to be tracking quite well with Costco pricing at the moment. (stand by for the plaintive cry...)

The rest of the Australian fuel industry seems frantic to push prices up hugely (at least in Melbourne) to create an artificial spike in the local retailing market so they can perhaps drift down to what should be real pricing later on.

Thank goodness a few are resisting the price surge attempt.

How is it in the rest of the State and other states. Your cheapest buy..?

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 4th June 2019 at 06:06 PM.

Page 6 of 8 First ... 2345678 Last

Thread Information