Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states. - Page 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 5 First 12345
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.

Default Victorian Fuel pricing trends Versus Queensland or other states.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Filled up the Golf i had for a few weeks with United diesel @ 124c/l while others were @ 139.9 & shell even higher. Didn't notice any difference in performance.
    What is the difference in diesel fuel? A friend drives an X5 and needed a new fuel pump (i think he means a new injection pump) that costs over $30k or $22k 'wholesale'. Apparently they had that problem with their diesel X5 in the US and BMW did the job under warranty there. In Australia BMW blames bad diesel fuel and wont cover the replacement
    Anyhow, his insurance covered it eventually because he a faultless receipt tail proving his fuel sources.
    Thatís likely a legitimate claim by BMW Oz in general (in addition to any one off contamination issue that was involved in your example) - our fuel (both diesel and petrol is amongst the worst in the world for sulphur content - this ****s with seals (and brass parts I think but donít quote me on that..) on pumps and injectors. The government has been wanting to align fuel quality standards for some time at the behest of many (especially European) manufacturers.

But the local refineries (who have had 15 years to plan for it) claim its all too hard. So we wonít get many new efficient engines because our fuel will just **** them up and we become a dumping ground for old tech. Yay for the clever country...

Advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

Interesting, Haakon, but don't we import all the fuel now? At least most of it?
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    That’s likely a legitimate claim by BMW Oz in general (in addition to any one off contamination issue that was involved in your example) - our fuel (both diesel and petrol is amongst the worst in the world for sulphur content - this ****s with seals (and brass parts I think but don’t quote me on that..) on pumps and injectors. The government has been wanting to align fuel quality standards for some time at the behest of many (especially European) manufacturers.

But the local refineries (who have had 15 years to plan for it) claim its all too hard. So we won’t get many new efficient engines because our fuel will just **** them up and we become a dumping ground for old tech. Yay for the clever country...

United may a good brand to avoid...

https://www.choice.com.au/transport/...h-repair-bills
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Fuel price Royal Commission?

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    That’s likely a legitimate claim by BMW Oz in general (in addition to any one off contamination issue that was involved in your example) - our fuel (both diesel and petrol is amongst the worst in the world for sulphur content - this ****s with seals (and brass parts I think but don’t quote me on that..) on pumps and injectors. The government has been wanting to align fuel quality standards for some time at the behest of many (especially European) manufacturers.

But the local refineries (who have had 15 years to plan for it) claim its all too hard. So we won’t get many new efficient engines because our fuel will just **** them up and we become a dumping ground for old tech. Yay for the clever country...

I will have to dig down into the literature and cuttings on this as I seem to recall a fanfare of government and oil industry literature that stated how both were working to eliminate sulphur from our crude oil imports and local crude that was refined in Australia and that certain refineries (Caltex?) had benefitted from substantial taxpayer input and tax credits to reach that criterion of sulphur free diesel and petrol supplies -so government had invested heaps of our cash in modernising "our"/"Their"... refineries.

My memory if it serves me well, seems to place these glorious announcements Before not after Caltex moved most of their refining and fuel business offshore ..some 600 million Dollars and the next year reported a $600 million slump in their Australian profit line - at the time I felt this was unconscionable in the sense it was their decision that altered their business profile ,

But the decision by the oil company did put most of the refining business out of the Australian mainland where the ACCC could oversight the industry and regulate the profit add on at every level of the refining and retailing operation right down to consumer level at the pump.

So much easier to hide such add ins within the mysterious Singapore oil trading market where such costs can be manipulated, x% for the driller x% for the well head profits, x % for the government costs back handers and payoffs, then x% for Singapore transport and storage, x% for carriage to Australia plus accountancy write downs and storage and market maintenance internationally, Abitrage and fleet costs to soak up market over supply lows and advertising and other market maintenance costs all added in before the product hits our shores.

Not to mention the storage of the fuel when landed in Australia, then market preparation for transport and sale in various packaging all adding up in a percentage here and a percentage there. that the end consumer pays along with government excise and taxes..

So where did, or how did the Australian government refinery funding get used? , was it a strategic initiative guzumpted by the decisions of the oil companies and how much tax payer funds were wasted?

Maybe we should have a Royal Commission into that AND the present ultra high reintroduction of the industry loved and run so called discount cycle where fuel at the pump can jump 20 plus cents in a day and then slowly industry controlled (price maintenance) over sometimes a month but never quite getting lower than it was.. I'd like to see that, it would put the banking and finance Industry shakedowns to shame I reckon.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Interesting, Haakon, but don't we import all the fuel now? At least most of it?
    Thatís true, but to a price/specification thatís requested.

We have 4 refineries left i think, they have a lot of clout lobbying wise as Australia has been in breach of its IEA obligations regarding stockpiles for some time, and energy security is a thing... So if they think they can avoid spending cash on upgrades just by a bit of blackmail I mean lobbying then they will.

**** em. Time to go EV. ICE is a bullshit tech anyway these days.

Despite the glorious goodness of many of them...

JoBo likes this.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Page 5 of 5 First 12345

Thread Information